“10 years, still taste good”

Tosokchon Samgyetang
Ranked #12 of 1,22,596 Restaurants in Seoul
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours
Shanghai
“10 years, still taste good”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I used to spend a lot of time in Korea, in particular Seoul, back in 2001 because the company I worked for has business in Korean.

Since 2002, I did not go back because I changed my job. There is one restaurant in Seoul that is always on my mind, and that is Tosokchon. I can never forget its ginseng chicken soup.

In 2011 December, I finally persuaded my family to spend Christmas in Seoul. My hidden agenda is to have one more ginseng chicken soup at Tosokchon.

We went there during lunch time, and as expected, there was a long queue. So we went back at around 5:30pm. This time we finally got the seats. I wasted no time to order my favourite - ginseng chicken soup.

My God, it tasted exactly like 10 years ago. Nothing has changed (except that the waitress can now speak Mandarin, because there are so many Chinese tourists these days). It was so good I almost cried.

Hope I don't need to wait another 10 years to go back. Try it at least once, You won't regret it.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank sincerewong2002
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

• Vietnamese first
Tokyo, Japan
“No.1 in the world”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This is the most delicious samge tang in the world!! I have tried a lot of samge tang but this is the best after all. I always go to this restaurant when I visit Seoul. It is very popular, so better go there earlier than lunch time, otherwise end up queuing !
This is my favorite restaurant for a long time.
Kimchi here is also delicious!!

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank jalanworld
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice Korean style dining but somewhat average food and service”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Heard advise about the long queue from TA forums, so went there during the late morning at about 11am.
No queue and was able to get a table immediately.
Ordered the Ginseng Chicken for both of us and as expected from usual comments by fellow TA forumers, the food came pretty fast.
Didn't really have the time to enjoy my meal as the staff seems to be rushing for time and clearing table as fast as they could.. I felt like I was rushing my food down my throat.
The soup tasted quite blend. It doesn't have much Ginseng taste non the taste of the chicken.

• Visited February 2012
Seoul, South Korea
“Over-rated, are the reviewers friends of the owner????”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I heard about how I HAVE TO GO HERE, so I don't know if it's over-expectation or not great food that made me extremely disappointed but I have to say this place IMHO (in my humble opinion), that I was extremely disappointed. Just not as good as the hype, any Koran chicken soup the meat falling off the bone is basic, and I'm not one of those people that believe just because a place is famous or well known do I fall into the psychological trap of thinking it's good. I'm a big believer in THE TASTE of the food! I, unfortunately was super extremely disappointed...

• Visited December 2011
Montpellier
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So tasty! but a long waiting line...”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

huge place but still have to wait in a long line. traditional Korean house style... But the soup is so so so so good!