See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 September 2015

Unlike other reviewers, our stay at Tropical View was not what we expected. We booked in on the advice of a friend and thought that the price seemed fair until we got into the room. The rooms and the hotel are immaculately clean. They cannot be faulted for that but they had no other amenities. We received towels, no wash cloths, no hand towels, When we asked for a tourist map, they had none. They did lend us their map but these are readily available at the tourist office and hotels that cater to tourists should have them on hand. The complimentary breakfast was disgusting, we had no choice as to what we got. No fruit, only instant coffee. It was just not what we wanted. If you are a light sleeper, be aware that this hotel is in a neighborhood, which means that around dawn dogs from all over begin barking. The hotel is close to restaurants, once you get oriented. The front desk staff seemed to have little knowledge of the restaurants (other than chinese) that were around.

Date of stay: August 2015
3  Thank Omitade
Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

AC - check!
Comfy beds - check!
Clean rooms - check!

A large group of us stayed here last minute after our original accommodation was cancelled. Tropical View was convenient, at an appropriate price.

A simple breakfast was included, which was helpful as there are few eating establishments available for breakfast in Georgetown.

The location is not ideal - the street is not particularly safe and you can't walk anywhere.

However, this is the case in the majority of Georgetown. Taxis are cheap (300-500 Guyanese dollars to most places, which is approx insurer £1-£1.50GBP or $2-3US).

Date of stay: August 2015
3  Thank KatPax
Reviewed 28 July 2015 via mobile

I had a really good, comfortable stay there, it's really nice, I would recommend anyone and the price is worth it, I was there for a week in the hotel, the have a lot of food places close by, taxi service, don't forget buddies hotel is walking distance from there

Date of stay: December 2014
1  Thank Aisha T
Reviewed 22 March 2015

I have stayed at the Tropical View several times over the last four years, some times alone and some times with groups of 20+ people. Room rates are very reasonable for what you get. Rooms are plain but typically clean. Breakfast is generally pretty good and included in the room. The Wi-Fi is free and typically provides pretty fast in-room internet access. The hotel is on a busy street and it can get really loud at night and in the early morning with dogs barking, roosters calling, and people yelling. The main issue that I have had over the year with Tropical View is the service. Several times I have made reservations and when I arrived there was mass confusions about whether they had enough rooms, the rooms were ready and what the rates were. This does not look good when you are with a group because everyone doubts that you have your stuff together. Also on several occasions I have had basic requests like storing luggage at the front desk on the day of departure denied. These events are confusing because other times front desk staff have been very helpful, providing courier service to change money, calling cabs, etc. This is why I gave them an average ranking because the service and rooms can be inconsistent. The bottom line is that room rates are cheap and sometimes you get what you pay for, while other times you get a good value.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank Mhallett2320
Reviewed 30 December 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night when I just needed a place to sleep basically. The cheapest room is GYD $9000 or US $45 and you get a single bed, AC, TV, phone, free Wi-Fi and breakfast which you have to preorder (free). The reception staff weren't the most helpful, but not terrible either. The location is relatively safe too.

Date of stay: December 2014