“Colombia and brilliant Bogota”
Review of Bogota

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
colombia
4 helpful votes
“Colombia and brilliant Bogota”
Reviewed 22 April 2009

I have been here in Bogota, Colombia for 4 days now and I must say that I am amazed at how diverse the city is.

I feel safe in the city and there is soooo much to do with all of the museums and places of interst to visit. These include the gold museum (amazing), Monserrate hill, the main square plaza bolivar and the zona rosa for great restaurants and nightlife.

Everything on my vacation has been expertly handled by the tour company Colombus Tours and I really feel like I am in good hands.

I am on a 3 week tour of Colombia and will post more details at a later date on the other cities and places we are going to visit.

So watch this space!

4 Thank colombia09
Denver, Colorado
3 helpful votes
“Be sure to go!”
Reviewed 29 December 2007

Was a bit apprehensive about first visit to Colombia, but after Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, I was motivated to go. I recommend a couple of days in Bogota. I stayed at the Pavillon Royal hotel. Security is obvious and some clubs and restaurants have armed military police. I encountered only positive people, food and experiences. No hassles, no crime.

Saginaw, Michigan
12 helpful votes
“A taste of Europe in South America”
Reviewed 11 September 2007

“Colombia….You are out of your mind” was the typical response I got when I told friends and family I was going to Colombia, South America. With reviews online saying that “Americans are at great risk of being kidnapped” I was very nervous and almost said “no” when my now fiancé asked me to go visit his family in Bogota. Four months later I am planning another trip to Bogota with my parents.
Bogota, Colombia is so beautiful and the people are very nice. I do NOT recommend anyone going to Colombia that does not speak Spanish. I think a great deal of why I had such a great time was because I was going with my fiancé who grew up there and he and his family knew Bogota very well…obviously.
I like cities like New York and Chicago so I was not expecting Colombia to have the shopping, nightlife, dining, or museums. I was WRONG! Not only does Bogota have great dining(Tapas, Japanese, Sushi)Nightlife( DJs spinning like they were from Detroit)and shopping(Prada, Gucci, genuine leather boots for 30 USD) It hosts museums like the Gold Museum, Botero Museum, and the National Museum.
The only complaints I had was the lack of sunshine and the jerk at Houston Airport (An ICE agent) that told me I was very likely to get kidnapped.)
If you want to go to Bogota brush up on your Spanish take an empty suitcase. Have a great time!!!

4 Thank TravelGuruGomez
Miami, Florida
19 helpful votes
“wow.....”
Reviewed 23 August 2007

this is the front end of my trip (second part was cartagena).....
what can i say....i loved this place..coming from miami the air quality and the autumn feel were spectacular...many outdoor resturants in the la zona rosa area..great places to sit and drink coffee(the best juan valdez brought home 12 bags).there is an area in the parque 93(calle 93a#11-23) with a park and i would sit here in the morning and in the evening just people watching.there is 1 seafood house,a mcdonalds,tgi friday's,crepe and waffle resteraunts and a fantastic sushi resteraunt(cant remember any names all in one square block area..in the middle is a park that is lit up at night..very nice and safe to sit in.i have read many bad things about safety and i will say i never felt safer, night or day..people are very nice and there is a growing culture here, especially with the younger set.bogota is a very cosmopolitan city and i got a feel that in time it will only grow into something spectacular.3 weeks later and i still cant get over the weather, truly a wonderful feeling.i stayed at the casa real(93ano 9a-53) and for the price,i paid 133.00 (AD) a night for what was the size of an effeiciancy apt.the hotel was very clean with houskeeping did an excellent job with my room.there is a couple of staff members who speak enough english to help you with tourist sites,taxi's and resteraunts.i would highly recomend this hotel just for value and location alone(about 6 blocks from shopping malls and resteraunts/bars)though there is a resteraunt corridor 1 1/2 blocks that i described above.this hotel was extremely quite with living room furniture a wet bar very large bathroom,very big bed.there is no heater ,but it is not needed there are extra blankets.for the price a great hotel.the shooping malls in the la zona rosa district are very high end no macy's we are talking armani,prada ,gucci...the best of the best are all here..very diffucult not to spend money. but the malls seemed to be a place to meet and hang out for those of all ages.

i went to la candelaria every day and walked its streets till my feet hurt, there is so much to look at with thousand upon thousands of people walking the streets in the daytime(i did not go at night) other than the occasional beggar (i work with the homeless in miami so i am used to this)i just never felt threatend.cab rides from la zona rosa to la candelaria were very cheap (less than 5 $ and a great ride)

there are many museums (to many to rate) but they are all in relative walking distance in LC, and wont break any ones budget. when going to Monserrate(i went on a sunday when they were having services,very packed but worth it to see the services (about 7 $ up and down)i went up on the train that takes you up the side of a mountain and thru a tunnel dug into the side of the mt then take the trolley back to the ground.it is actually a walk up a long path to get to the church but the views are spectacular and the clouds pass so close to you, you almost feel close to whatever spiritual beliefs you have.i was high up at the christ the redemmer and(and i loved rio) but there was great beauty from this site.there is a statue on the next mountain that is very tall and of a woman (dont know what it is called,but hard to miss) with her arms spread out,have a taxi take you to this site(the ride up is exhilarating(theres not much of a road and you ride on the edge of a mountain)but once up there you will see a rundown church but the mountain tops are closer and the clouds were closer.these two places were fantastic...go.

plaza de bolivar was nice but they had porta pots all around the statue as they were having some political rally while i was there and after i left. very nice architecture in the whole of the city and as i said earlier you better pack comftarble shoes and if you like to walk you will love this city,so many things to see.
i hope to one day be able to just travel all thru colombia this is a great and wonderful country and i wish i would have seen more.if you are on time constraints you will need aproxamentally 3-4 full days to feel satisfied that you've seen what you need to see.i will go back one day

do not belive what you read about bogota it is a safe very friendly place and you will not be dissapointed.especially if you like to walk.i was there from the 27th till the 31st of july.
p.s. i just got a new camera so my pic's are not that great...still havent figured out how to use it though........tried to add more pictures have not figured out how to transfer right pictures.sorry will post more later.

4 Thank miamirabbit
15 helpful votes
“Sofitsicated South American City”
Reviewed 2 July 2005

Wow!! Bogota and Colombia blew me away. The setting is truly spectacular, tall green mountains on one side, perched on a high plateau. Great spring like weather. It has a European feel to it, did not feel like in one of the more indeginous countries of Latin America. We felt that the Spanish culture has been preserved there much more than any other latin country that we have been too. Wide avenues, beautiful churches, grand palaces, lush green parks and roadways. Posh dsitricts with very compelling post modern architecture.

I highly recommend: View fom Monserratte, The candelaria colonial area, the Museo Botero and Banco de la Republica, National Museum, The Chico Museum, Taxi ride on Circunvalar road, the Zona Rosa, the Parque 93, Teusaquillo ( beautiful 1920's english style neigborhood), The Chico Sector especially 11 avenue. The Cathedral of Zipaquira day trip. And if you can Villa de leiva about 4 hours away, but like stepping back in time - you think you might see Don Quijote.

The people are very gracious, polite and helpful. We felt VERY safe at all times. Try the restaraunt scene! I have been to most South American Cities, Bogota rivals Santiago and Buenos Aires. We met many European tourists, it appears that Colombia's reputation is not as bad as in the states. It is quite modern and clean. The prices are not bad, not dirt cheap, actually more expensive than Buenos Aires.

We also went to Medellin - Beautiful city and Beautiful people!! The view as one descend the mountains to Medellin is STUNNING. We stayed at Dann Carlton Hotel in Poblado and loved the place. If you go check out parque lleras at night!! Also take a tour in the "Oriente District", especially El Penol lake area!! Very European. Cartagena was also drop dead gorgeous.

All in all, I can see Colombia becoming the next IT place. Don't be afraid to go. Crime is down like 200% since the bad old days.

15 Thank Connector20191

Been to Bogota? Share your experiences!