“Long Break”

Ranked #51 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Totton, United Kingdom
“Long Break”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I took a three week break from my work in PNG, and arranged to meet my wife, daughter and five year old grand-daughter at the Corniche Sheraton. Although it had been six years since I last visited the place, it hadn't changed and couldn't have been any betterhe rooms were extremely comfortable, with probably the best bed linen and pillows I have experienced in a hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who were always punctual, courteous, knowledgeable and always very well turned out. We enjoyed all the restaurants, particularly the wine tasting with dinner evening in the Italian restaurant. My grand-daughter was completely bowled over by the wading pool AND sandy beach. The Classic Club facility was excellent for a light breakfast and relaxing evening drinks. At very short notice the Concierge organised a desert safari, and arranged for a child seat to be fitted into the car for my grand-daughter.

All in all, a superb family holiday and we (especially my grand-daughter) can't recommend the Sheraton highly enough. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for, and we will be going again.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for a sea view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Yves446, Director of Sales at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Bedou,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was very happy to see that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your holiday with us.

While I was very satisfied with your feedback on the overall facilities of the hotel as well as on our restaurant offering, I was especially pleased with your comments about our associates which I will gladly share with them.

I hope we will have the pleasure of a third visit in the future and remain at your disposal to make all arrangements personally.

Warm regards to your entire family.

Yves
Deputy General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights with my wife for a short break. Cant really praise the place enough. Had a lovely room (classic non-smoking) which, despite being small, was a very comfortable place to stay. Staff were all excellent and could not do enough for you. Beach and pool area were lovely, restaurants were great and reasonable value for a 5 star.

One small point, cafe in lobby would be so much better if it was non-smoking. Aside from that no complaints whatsoever and would stay here again. Is now my no1 choice in Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Yves446, Director of Sales at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Fossildog,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was very happy to learn that your wife and you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our facilities and the service rendered by my colleagues up to your expectation. I would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel soon again and in case I can assist you with reservations for your next stay, please do let me know. For now, I remain with kind regards,

J Thomas C. van Opstal
General manager

India
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I get to Abu Dhabi relatively frequently, and have stayed at a number of different properties while visiting, but the hospitality I have experienced at the property makes it more than well worth while - the staff across all areas of the hotels (bell-boys, front-desk, concierge, housekeeping) were courteous, prompt and efficient, and the dedicated guest service line, unlike the case in some other hotels at which I have stayed, was a true help-line, staffed by a knowledgeable team. The lay-out of the hotel is excellent - it is a mini oasis in Abu Dhabi if you will, with pools, a beach and a comfortable atmosphere. To sum up, although I have stayed elsewhere in Abu Dhabi in the past, going forward I won't look any further - great hotel, great people, great experience. Jason Breemen

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Yves446, Director of Sales at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Mr. Breemen,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the service of my colleagues met your expectations! We all look forward to welcome you back to our hotel soon again and I remain with kind regards.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We have recently returned from just over a week at this hotel, in an Executive Suite with club access. Whilst we enjoyed our stay, I was not overly impressed and feel that this hotel is in need of a good overhaul (probably why it was so reasonably priced).

Firstly, the good points about this hotel:-

- just off the corniche road, the hotel is well located for the centre (Abu Dhabi Mall, Marina Mall, Central Market souk etc) and has a very good valet parking system if you have a hire car, although it can be a little slow at weekends when busy;

- the staff are helpful and pleasant, particularly Olie in the club lounge who is an absolute star (does the man ever have a day off??). We only encountered one unpleasant staff member, an officious young female on reception who treated my husband like a criminal because we couldn't get the key to work for our room and we had had the cheek to go to the hotel's beach without passport or credit card (exactly why would we have them?);

- although there is some building work across from the hotel, the beach is a fairly peaceful spot, much more so than the pool which was noisy, cramped and heaving with screaming children while we were there.

The bad points:-

- whilst our room was spacious, it was dark and we almost always had to have lights on, even during the day. I understand that the windows may be small to keep the room cool in the height of summer but the decor is gloomy (the walls are an unattractive greyish colour). The furniture is dated and in our room the curtains were either torn or badly hung and at least one light was not working. Also, the living room was inter-connected to the room next door and, even though the hotel was not full whilst we were there, at one point we had people in the room next door which I find extremely irritating. Inter-connecting rooms are always poorly sound-proofed and we could hear conversations, the tv etc and no doubt they could hear likewise: if the hotel is not full, don't put strangers right next to each other! I was also annoyed that, having requested a non-smoking room, we were put on a smoking floor (having checked in at 2.00 am, we were too tired to raise the matter and then we couldn't be bothered moving all our stuff out). If you are not a smoker, you will definitely notice the smell in the corridor and at one point I felt that smoke was being wafted in through the a/c unit.

- the club lounge is far too small for the amount of club rooms in the hotel (at least two floors' worth, if not three) and we had to go to Cloud Nine on a couple of occasions which I did not enjoy particularly, as it is noisy and smoky and the service is nowhere as good as that provided by Olie in the club lounge;

- breakfast was good in terms of the variety and quality of food but was not particularly good in terms of service. By day two or three, we had discovered the coffee machine where you could help yourself to a latte or cappucino and also get a small pot of tea, which saved having to wait an age to be served a hot drink by the staff. They were also very slow at clearing away dirty plates. As for the service at the weekend, it was an utter shambles - when it is that busy, they should open another restaurant. We had breakfast in the club lounge on two occasions and, despite the limited selection of food, it was much more pleasant.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and I liked the fact that it was not a vast high-rise like some of the other hotels and that it had a beach. However, would I stay there again? Not sure.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Traveller Bristol,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to note that you overall enjoyed your stay and that your positive impression clearly outweigh the not so positive ones. I must apologize if your room was not in the best condition and we will review your comment with the Department Head concerned to ensure that such inaccuracies do not recur again in the future. While we endeavor to accommodate guests in the room category they request, we are not always able to do so and hence, we do not confirm room categories but endeavor to reserve the type of room requested. I am sorry that in your case we were not able to accommodate you in a non-smoking room and if we had known of your discomfort, we would probably have been able to accommodate you in a non-smoking room the next day – our associates would have been only too pleased to pack- and repack your personal belongings. Your comment on the Club Lounge have also been noted and I tend to agree with you that at times the Club Lounge seems indeed to be too small for the amount of guests we cater for. We are presently discussing a new and larger lounge facility with the hotel owners and we hope to able to offer our Club guests a more spacious lounge in a few months’ time. I have also taken note of your comment with regard to the breakfast service and again, I will review your comment with the Department Head concerned – we usually have extremely complimentary comments on our breakfast service and I will need to review what went wrong on the day of your breakfast. I do hope that despite your untoward experience at some areas of the hotel we will still be able to welcome you back soon again and I would ask you to please make your next reservation through me by using my contact details below in order for me to ensure that your next stay will be up to our usual high standard and up to your expectations. I look forward to meeting you personally the next time you visit Abu Dhabi and until then, I remain with kind regards,

Hampshire
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Spent two weeks in Abu Dhabi with one week at the Sheraton. Excellent value for money, with friendly, courteous & above all honest staff. (I lost my wallet but Maharuf Akv & Jacon Odongo spent ages tracking me down to return it.). Only dissapointment is the building works in the vicinity, which the hotel has no control over. However the range of hotel restuarants coupled with the pools & beach facilities make up for this. Also the wide range of food available for breakfast must cater for even the most demanding of guests. We opted for a Club room which gave access to another Lounge where there was a further full selection of snacks, sandwiches & drinks all day long. All in all a wonderfull relaxing place to stay. You may find better hotels in Abu Dhabi but at a premium cost. The Sheraton ticked all our boxes at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for the sea view. Certainly not the best sea view but it does mean you are on the opposite side...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Yves446, Director of Sales at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear BareRupert,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that the services and the facilities met your expectations. As you probably noticed during your visit, Abu Dhabi is presently experiencing an unprecedented building boom and hence, construction sites are evident most everywhere in the city and the surroundings of our hotel are no exception, even so we are fortunate that the majority of construction in our neighborhood has been completed after we suffered from the construction for the last three years. We have been assured by the local municipality that the pedestrian walkways and landscaping work near our hotel will be completed within weeks and we look obviously very much forward to this. Hopefully by the next time you visit Abu Dhabi and our hotel, you will find the vicinity of the hotel in pristine conditions. I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel and in the meantime, I remain with kind regards,