“Beautiful new luxury hotel with some hick ups”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #33 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Our arrival started very bad. We booked a seaview room, but were appointed a non seaview room just above an extremely loud generator. Inacceptable loud noise, which i never experienced before, although i have stayed at many hundreds of hotels...and this being a brand new st regis hotel !!! I demanded a sea view room without the truck engine noise which took some time.next day we were offered a bottle of mediocre wine to make up for it, nice gesture, but insufficient. Rooms are very nice, luxurious, large semi open shower in big bathroom, rainshower.separate toilet.bed comfortable. Public spaces beautiful, still very new, not quite finished, but nice, two pools, very nice with good service and lunch option. Beach service nice with cabanas and beds. Restaurants good to excellent. 55 and 5 th grill spectacular and very good food and service, at a price of course, but worth it. Sontaya restaurant is asian, food quality variable but ok. Staff in general friendly, but not yet at sufficient level. Location in brand new part of abu dhabi, 30 min away from centre, but still quiet and nice for relaxation.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank panda58
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort and I thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Firstly, my sincere apologies on the fact that your stay with us didn’t start on the best note. It is however great to read that you have had a good experience in our food and beverage venues and on the beach.
I do hope you will provide us with the opportunity to give you a superb experience upon your next return. I look forward to welcoming you back at our resort.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Stayed at the St Regis on a layover on my way to North Africa from Asia.
Surprisingly great service considering how new the property is, well trained and up to St Regis standards.
The rooms are well designed, spacious and finishes are high quality, again upto St Regis standards. Free wi-fi internet in the room was fast enough.
Still some works being done around the resort (ie, patching up pool tiles/pathways/some rooms etc), but to be expected being only 8 weeks old.
A fantastic option for those looking to chill out and relax but still be a $10 cab ride from downtown Abu Dhabi's attractions, malls.
Saadiyat Island pretty empty and not much around, but I think that adds to the seclusion and the beach is isolated other than hotel guests.
Great food options (6 or 7 on site restaurants) and even better afternoon tea in the Drawing Room. Breakfast as good as any other high end Middle Eastern five star hotel, I think the cereal and health food selection could be more varied but that is merely my personal preference.
Yes there is construction nearby and on the property still, but double glazing sliding doors onto the balcony means you can't hear it at anytime of the day. You also can't hear anything other than the waves lapping on the beach which I was originally worried about.
Will be interesting to see how Saadiyat looks in 5 years after the Shangri-La and Mandarin Oriental along with the museums and galleries are open (read locally in the paper this not to be completed until roughly 2017).
Was tough to decide between the St Regis and Park Hyatt when I booked as I prefer more contemporary architecture and modren hotels (Park Hyatt is very modern and minimalist), but the rooms, service and beach made the decision the right one and I was more than happy with my stay.
See photos for a resort overview.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank wanderlust_syd

Dear Wanderlust,
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort. I thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review. It is true that a brand new property is somehow different in terms of operations than a hotel that is running for a long time, hence thank you for your considerate and well balanced review.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back at the resort soon.

John Pelling

Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed here for New Year. From the arrival to the departure of our stay at The St Regis Hotel, we were given excellent service and attention the like of which we have never experienced before. We were shown to our room by a very courtious member of staff to be introduced to our very own butler. Our deluxe seaview room was fabulous, the views over the sea and hotel were amazing. Our room was very comfortable and the bathroom, the bath was one of the biggest baths I had ever seen not to mention the lovely rainforest shower.

The service on the private beach, was also lovely, while we were enjoying relaxing in the sun we were asked by the beach attendants if we would like a complimentary fruit skewer, fruit juice & cold hand towels, heaven!

We dined in the hotels buffet restaurant for one of the evenings, we were amazed by the quality, the quantity and varity of outstanding food. Our breakfast was served in the same restaurant to which the same standard and choice were given.

Overall this has to be the best hotel we have every stayed in to provide excellent friendly service and quality, we would definately reccommend this hotel !!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Gill O

Dear Gill,
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, our team will be delighted to read your feedback.
Our bathrooms are surely unique and extend the resort experience, and I can see you appreciated the design details.
I look forward to welcoming you back at our resort.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

I stayed at the St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort for a vacation in January. We had an absolutely wonderful time!

The staff is incredibly attentive - probably rivals the best service that I've experienced at any hotel, period. The property is also just beautiful, with gorgeous views of the water from nearly all of the hotel's public spaces. The hotel has a nice blend of the comforts you would expect at any St.Regis and thoughtful location-specific touches (like being welcomed with arabic coffee and dates in the lobby).

The beach is quite expansive, with very large, comfortable complimentary cabanas that the beach staff will meticulously arrange to your liking. Each day, we were brought chilled towels and a different type of fresh iced tea to our cabana. There is also a very nice, large pool area - in one section of the pool, they had the clever idea of partially submerging the lounge chairs in the water, which I imagine would be wonderful during the hot summer months.

The breakfast buffet was among the most amazing, decadent things I've ever seen - there was every time of breakfast dish imaginable, and more!

Altogether, I'd fully recommend this hotel - it was convenient enough to the rest of Abu Dhabi to serve as a good sightseeing base, but also feels apart enough to be very relaxing.

Room Tip: Ocean-view seems to be worth it
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank T M
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Dear T.M.,

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort Abu Dhabi.
I am delighted to read that your stay with us was memorable and that you especially appreciated our traditional welcome gestures. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I look forward to welcoming you back at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

A truly lovely place - located on a natural Island close to the Abu Dhabi City Center (by taxi approx 20 Min). Apart from the high class overall impression of a St. Regis Hotel, this Hotel seperates itself by the extremely polite, helpful and friendly staff who are on a constant lookout to fulfill your wishes before you have actually thought about them.
Watch the Dolphins passing by you while you swim in the ocean - I saw a group of 3 dolphins passing me in close proximety. Live and free ! A note of caution: Watch out for stones included in the sandy, 9 miles of natural beach... Light footwear may be appropriate for you !
Since the Hotel opened just recently, the shops and some facilities were stioll under construction - but once opened, make the place even more convenient !

Room Tip: Naturally you should go for the "ocean-view" !
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank PengPeng25

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort Abu Dhabi.
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I especially take note of your comment on our staff, which we take great pride in. We strive to provide our guests with an experience that is memorable and our friendly staff makes all the difference.
I look forward to seeing you back at our resort in the near future.