“Terrible”

Shakespeare and Co. Beirut
Ranked #564 of 1,003 Restaurants in Beirut
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This must have been my sixth visit here during the last two years. At the start it was a wonderful place to go. You could sit and admire the decor; food would be good and the service excellent. Boy has that changed!
I came here with a friend for lunch. The first unacceptable thing was the fact that there was no electricity on in the toilets. I reported that to the manager who was quite dismissive. He said it would turn on. It didn’t. Unfortunately I was desperate so had to use my iPhone torch to go to the toilet. Second bad thing: about twenty percent of the menu had stickers over food where it was not available. It looked tacky and cheap. Third thing: it took the waiter over two minutes to open a bottle of wine. He acted as though he had never even seen a corkscrew before. Fourth thing: after ordering I was told that the salmon hadn’t arrived yet and so they couldn’t complete the order. Final thing: chips were warm and not hot. The only competent person there was the shisha man.
Something has gone badly awry. What was a wonderful place to visit and to relax in has gone badly downhill. We were the only customers and with an indifferent manager; poor service and a limited menu I can’t see it staying open much longer.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

I was it that Shakespeare and go twice and unfortunately I was not impressed either time.
Although the decor of the restaurant is beautiful, the food and drinks are below average.
The waiter makes sure to open a large water bottle for you even if you did not ask him to, and then bills it on your receipt.
The portions, although big, don't taste very good and the milkshakes are awful.
I went there with my books to study but was constantly harassed by the waiter who would ask me every 10 minutes if I wanted to order anything else even though I was alone and had already ordered a meal and a drink less than 30 min ago.
Overall, I don't think this place is worth visiting again.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Shakespeare and Co. took the location of former Semsom in Beirut, Sodeco area. The decor is a mish mash of pirate/boudoir/grandma's house. Inside is certainly more interesting than outside where you constantly hear the traffic passing. They will let you smoke a narguileh inside. They have a menu for everyone but if you want an alcoholic drink then you have to ask for another menu. This is not said to you so you have to guess, then ask the wAiter. When we asked our waiter, he said because the original menu is the one used in the Gulf countries. Food is expensive and very standard. However, the arguileh is good and costs the same as in other cafés around.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

Quite acceptable, didn't like much the arguile difficult to find a non smoking area in this place,. food is ok,

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

I have been to Shakespeare several times in the past and it was a good place for shisha and decent food. To my dismay, when some friends and I decided to celebrate Valentine eve on Saturday there, our choice proved to be a total disaster! Although the service was good, the waiters were too few to serve the crowds. The restaurant had a preset menu for Valentine eve which proved to be a recipe for mediocrity, lack of innovation and taste! The four set course offered a variety of tasteless chunks of fried or grilled goo. Neither the salad, the main course nor the dessert were innovative or any good. I hardly ate anything. As I see it, the management conned clients into thinking that it was offering them a good deal to celebrate the special evening when it was actually deceiving them with cheap, no quality food which was totally overpriced... They might have made a profit that night but they have definitely lost a whole bunch of clients who kept complaining all evening long. I will never go there again!