“One of my best mosque”
Review of Al-Majidiya Mosque

Al-Majidiya Mosque
Ranked #67 of 106 things to do in Beirut
More attraction details
Owner description: Located near the shore, just north of the Solidere-Downtown Beirut, al-Majidiya Mosque was once an 18th century Ottoman defensive fort. In 1841, the fort was no longer needed so the structure was turned into a mosque and named after the Ottoman Sultan Abdul-Mejid I. In 1881 and again in 1906, the mosque was enlarged and renovated. Its tall, pencil-shaped minaret is typical of Ottoman mosques, while its shorter minaret is of a more typical Beiruti-Mamluke style. The interior of the mosque has conserved the arches and vaulted ceilings of the Ottoman fort it once was.
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I like this Mosque so much, I usually prayed inside it, it’s an ottoman Mosque and still have the same architecture. It has a special place for woman upstairs

Reviewed 14 February 2017

I can't know how many times I visited this mosque, for daily prayers, Friday prayer, or just to take photos of this ottoman style mosque.
Originally, the building was an ancient maritime citadel in Beirut and one of its most important strongholds. It was an extension of Souk Al-Tawile, which overlooked the sea and was used as a warehouse for timber merchants.
It was turned into a mosque in the middle of the 19th century by Sultan Abdul Majid (1839- 1861) and named after him. The mosque was destroyed during the Civil War but has been restored, and another minaret, higher than the original one, was added to it.

Reviewed 17 January 2017

I remember this Mosque I were with family I saw there many people was pray , A mosque in center of Beirut

Reviewed 29 September 2012

i ws there with my family, we were passing by and it was the time for praying the duhur so we stopped the car and my father and my brother prayed while we the girls prayed in the place of girls

1  Thank Rimal A