All reviewshamra streetthe club loungesea viewtop floorbusiness tripfree accessbusy arealocation is greatal hamrafront office managerindoor poolrooms are cleannice stayvery nice hotelwalking distanceamerican universityrestaurants and bars
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I’ve just returned from a week at the Crowne Plaza Beirut. On the whole, this place is pretty good. I’d say it was a very good 3-star hotel, but a rather poor 4-star hotel.

The Hamra Street location is great: close to AUB and Raouche. . Hamra Street is a very pleasant place poke about, and it reminds me of the streets around the Left Bank of Paris. The accommodation is comfortable, clean and quiet.

My main gripe is with the service. The staff members were polite and pleasant enough and tried to be very accommodating. But the service itself leaves a lot to be desired.

Breakfast starting at 6:30am really means breakfast starting at about 7:30am. Coffee is not available on the buffet counter. A waiter had to be flagged down and asked to bring coffee to the table. Then he has to be asked to go back and get some cream for the coffee, as well. The amount of coffee is equivalent to a single cup.

Breakfast itself was fairly mediocre: scrambled eggs that were basically liquefied and small chunks of wieners that looked as if they’d been in the pot of warm water for several days.

On one particular morning, there was absolutely nowhere at all to sit for breakfast. The reason given: 3 different different groups had just arrived. Trying to drink a lukewarm cup of coffee and eat a chunk of French bread, while walking around was not my idea of a fun time. However, I was considerably less vocal about the situation than other people who could not find a seat. The restaurant staff really appeared frazzled.

The rooms were not done up until mid-afternoon, which was a bit irritating, given that one often wants to have a mid-day shower or mid-afternoon rest, after a morning of sightseeing. Supply of toilet paper seemed to be rationed. I actually had to go down to the reception desk to ask for a roll of toilet paper and a box of tissues!

But, as I say, the staff members were very courteous and accommodating. My guess is that they were simply overworked the week I was there. I stayed at this place again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2010

Room was a let down shelving covered in dust, bath required rinsing out covered in hairs whilst beds were like sleeping on camp beds.

During the afternoon of our second day we decided to wander to the swimming pool which looked fabulous on the website and was a factor in us booking this hotel infact it turned out to be tiny whilst the area around the pool was set out for diners for a valentine dinner who would want to swim on view in a dining room!

The first night my daughter ordered a fresh strawberry drink and was told they had no strawberries instead used red food colouring ! on the second night of our stay residents of the hotel had second class status unable to have access to the bar as a function was taking place. On the second day of our visit we decided to go sight seeing for the day and ordered 3 american breakfasts via room service the menu stated hash brown, sausages, veal bacon and baked beans we received rubber like sausages greasy garlic salami, mashed potato and no baked beans we telephoned room service to explain only 2 breakfasts had arrived and we were missing baked beans we then received a plate with eggs on and kidney beans????

With regards to location whilst you walked out into the main street there was no way you could walk into the main tourist centre unless equipped with a map and hiking boots!
what a waste of money! glad to check out and won't stay here again

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank oliviaDubai
Reviewed 8 January 2010

this was my first stay in el hamra area i insuisted on the hotel to be in this this location the hotel is in the right location and if you love walking it will take 30 mns to downtown excellent breakfast but more international than lebanese room service is great and view is excellent the club rooms are a plus with a special lounge and internet connection including a printer and PCs excellent for business trips . lobby is very nice and rooms are big taxi station infront of the place and grocery stores are all around also a pharmacy infront of the hotel

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2010

The only thing pleasant about our stay at the Crown Plaza Beirut was that we had an early check-in! The rooms standard is just average and while the hotel service is by far the worst i have ever experienced in my life. I feel that everyone at the hotel needs to go through some serious customer service training.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kishani
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Rude and arrogant staff, avoid at all cost. We have been ignored and treated with contempt by several waiting staff and even the staff in the business lounge who are usually the most in tune with the business traveller could not be bothered. After complaining we accepted a complimentary dinner and remarkably the service was even worse! Many of the facillities were unavailable for the duration of our stay. All this for only $450 per night... Just go somewhere else, the Raddisson generally has good staff.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business