New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Cheapest (cost wise) 5 star hotel in Makkah that is in walking distance” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Makarem Ajyad Makkah Hotel

Makarem Ajyad Makkah Hotel
Ranked #18 of 321 Hotels in Mecca
Riyadh
“Cheapest (cost wise) 5 star hotel in Makkah that is in walking distance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and it was great. The location of the hotel is 5 mins away from Haram; it opens up to the entrance of the 1st floor, basement and Gate No. 1. The rooms were very nice including the linen, furniture and towels. We went during 1st week of Ramadan and the Iftar was very nice. The hotel arranged for a drop off to the airport for SAR 200 in a very good car. Over all, we were very impressed and would definitely select this hotel again. Cost wise, it was the cheapest 5 star hotel we found in Makkah that was in walking distance from Haram.

Room Tip: Ask for a late check out; we checked out at 5pm.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
13 Thank ADinRUH
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

Assalamalaikum

Clean hotel in a good location. Generally we enjoyed our stay, but please read below. The attitude of management/senior staff left a lot to be desired. I don't normally write reviews, but here I ought to as a warning to other travellers in terms of what to expect perhaps.

There were four issues.

1. We were scheduled to arrive at the Hotel about 8.00am, and we did. Since we were going to arrive early, we booked the room from the night before as check in time is 2pm. We thought we could go to the room, leave our stuff and then go to the Haram. We were 'greeted' by the Manager or someone who seemed to have that authority, he didn't give a monkeys about us really, and when I told him we had a room booked from the day before, he said abruptly "we don't have you on our system, it's between you and your agent, go and do your Umrah and come back". Anyway, after I insisted I had a room, he said "Ok OK give him the room, and charge them extra". I was in Ihraam, so I stayed cool as much as possible and did not argue. I think they take advantage of this. The manager at the buffet restaurant was equally as rude, if not more. I have to say I've never had this experience before anywhere, even in any crap restaurant/hotel. It was as if they were doing us a favour by giving us a room, and providing breakfast. Our agent immediately confirmed that it was made 100% clear to the Hotel Management that we would be arriving early morning and the room was paid for from the night before. It appears that the hotel was fully booked, and hotel management decided to let our room go and make a few extra saudi riyals!

2. They gave us a twin room, even though we are a married couple. Anyway, it's all about Ibadaah there, so not a huge deal. They don't know what a double room means - they think it means a room with two single beds. I think you have to ask for a family room maybe.

3. Despite the fact that their main reception desk in the lobby is about 15 metres long, there was hardly anyone there ever. No one answered the phone if you wanted to call Reception. However, there were always about half a dozen guys though sitting at the desks which surround the lobby which are for Sightseeing etc. Ridiculous. However if you wanted room service, you would get someone answering the phone, and food was good.

4. Before checking out I needed help with the luggage (bell boy) and went down to reception (since no one answered the phone at reception). I asked the guy there and he said he would send up the bell boy (bell boy was actually a man in his late 40's). Anyway, Bell boy never came so about 20 minutes later I went back down. The guy who I had asked had gone on a break and never told the Bell Boy. Yes - that's right, there was just the two of them running the Reception/lobby area, with of course the half a dozen sight seeing agents looking on! When I complained to the Bell Boy, he said there is no use complaining as this is a Pakistani run hotel with Sauid Ownership. He said that I would get thrown out of the country as the Saudi's don't tolerate complaints.

I'd love to believe that these were isolated incidents, but I don't think so. Since it was their attitude that stank. Mistakes can happen, but their service is very much 2* at the most. You'd getter better treatment in a 1* B&B in the UK. In summary, the Hotel was very clean but service left a lot to be desired. You can stay here, but be prepared.

I did't let any of this affect my visit/Umrah at all, but I did promise myself that once I returned from Umrah, and had a moment I'd write a review on trip advisor to let others know what to excpect, and here I am. In a nutshell, go, enjoy your Umrah/Hajj, don't worry too much about stuff and don't let it get to you - main purpose of the visit is Ibaadah!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
27 Thank IAnsari
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Approx 5 minute walk to mosque. very clean and decent customer service. Breakfast was excellent. rooms were very clean. A large reception are with a few shops inside, includes cleaning facility inside and outside. near a lot of shops. Arab hospitatlity is not very good though.

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious and very clean. they are equipped with a safe for valuables.
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank GulfTiger
India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

great location can go walking to the Haram, also has a 24 hr shuttle bus service, good breakfast, looks after all other needs so you can concentrate on prayers! just a little old!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noisy
  • Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Tashb2010
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2009

Ajyad Makkah is an excellent value for money hotel, I wouldn't say it is right at the door step of the Holy Mosque but is not too far either. The hotel is of reasonable quality and food is prett good.

Stayed March 2009, travelled on business