“Great location, but very poor services”

Al Safwah Royale Orchid
Ranked #20 of 366 Hotels in Mecca
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel has nice building, fitting, bed, tv best money can buy, but the services is DO NOT FIT for 5 stars, infact is insult for 5 star. right from reception, information desk, house keeping, restaurant (good food bad service). we stayed in this hotel from 20/03 untill 25/03 group of 8, our room No's 543/544/545 and 546

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Torik M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel is supposedly a 5-Star hotel and I would rate the service we received as a 2-Star hotel. Customer service and appreciation is lacking throughout the hotel. We arrived at the hotel at 7:30 PM and we were all in Ehraam at the time, the front desk refuses to send a bell person downstairs for our luggage since my husband did not have the confirmation number with him, it seems the hotel cannot pull our reservation by last name, never heard of such absurdity. Finally our travel representative in Mecca came in and helped the front desk locate our reservation. We checked into the room and our surprise we ended with a double room and a roller bed!!!! We had paid for a triple room occupancy. We decided to make do since we are here for Umrah. But a few days later we treated as “animals” we were having breakfast in the hotel dining room and were pulled out from the restaurant by an arrogant staff member. We were told that our package does not include breakfast (our travel agent insisted that they always book breakfast as part of the package) Once again our agent was called upon and the travel agent in the US was informed of the incident. Once this was resolved with the hotel, there was NEVER an apology from either the hotel or the overzealous staff member. Not sure if the word “sorry” is inexistent in the Arab language. We are very disappointed for paying that much money for a hotel where people have no respect for customers. We will not stay at the Al Safwa Royale Orchid when we are in Mecca next time. We stayed there for proximity of the location to the Haraam, but the escalator accessible to the Haraam was shut down for repairs for 3 months and we were not made aware of this until we checked into the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ferial R
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I liked Al Safwa Royale Orchid Hotel, nice location which directs you right away to the Haram. Well, I can't say much coz I was very focused on the Holy Mecca more than anything else.

The only thing I didn't like was small size of the bathrooms, very small. Serivce is good they come fast whenever you need anything.

Food was fine with many varities.

Room Tip: If you are coming with an old parent whom you dont him/her to walk for long time to Haram, I advise...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Utopiant
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We were 4 couples and booked 4 rooms. On arraivel about 13:00 they told us rooms are not available because check out time is 14:00 and check in is 16:00. After a while they gave us 3 rooms in different floors.

I came back at 17:20 after completing the Omra, very tired, looking for a shower. I was expecting to get the 4th room but they told me that the room is not available yet. When I asked why the room is not available if check out time is 14:00. I understood from the manager that they are extending the stay for few hours for some guests. Those guests are paying for the extended hours. That means that they are renting my room to other guests.

I got the room about 18:10 and there was no time to have a shower. I told the manager that there is no towels in any of the 4 rooms. He called the housekeepers and asked them to put towels in the rooms. I came back after Maghreb pray to take a shower but for my surprise there was no towels. I called the housekeeping two times they promised to bring the towels. When called them for the third time they told me that there is no towels and they are going to deliver only when the laundry car arrives and delivers the clean towels.

None of the 4 rooms has a view. All windows are internal and facing windows of other rooms. Bathrooms are very small.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tabbasy
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My family and I stayed at the Al Safwah Royale Orchid in Mekah last week when performing the umrah. I fell in love with the view from the hotel room at first sight-we got the kaabah view ! We have only been back in our homeland a few days ago and I am already missing the glorious view of the kaabah from the room where we were staying at level 15.The location of the hotel is excellent especially for those who are accompanied by children or the elderly. Easy access to masjidil haram entrances,shopping areas and eateries.The hotel has excellent laundry and room service too.Housekeeping and internet service could be improved,though.I would recommend this hotel to anyone anytime.

Room Tip: Choose the one with the kaabah view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family