All reviewsroman amphitheaterother guestsdowntown ammandouble bedcentral positiongreat location and helpful staffborder crossingsingle nightincluded in the room ratehot showerjordanian breakfastsmall hotelplace to staybooked this hotelhome away from homenice roomrainbow street
Reviewed 22 October 2017

Had a very odd experience here.

The hotel itself seems great - fantastically central location (literally opposite the theatre), with clean rooms and hot showers. There is also a nearby (free) car park if you're driving.

The only reason I haven't rated higher was the attitude of the management (which looking at previous reviews - and some of the very defensive responses to them - doesn't seem too unusual).

When we first arrived, we were told our room only had a shared bathroom (despite the booking saying shower was "included" in the room). Didn't seem great, but we said we were fine with that. They then offered to "upgrade" us, which seemed nice enough. But when we arrived in the room it was boiling hot and we couldn't find the air con controller. After unpacking we asked them where it was, and they said it would cost an extra 5 JD. And there was no other form of ventilation (windows or fan). So we then asked to go back to our original room - by this point we had wasted about an hour having conversations about rooms and moving between them (when I'd really have rather been looking round Amman). Then when we arrived in the room, it turned out it DID have a bathroom. And the person who showed us to it couldn't explain why they originally said it didn't. Suppose this was possible all trying to get some extra JD - not sure...

They could see we were a bit irritated by this point.... then the next thing we knew, we had an email from booking.com saying the hotel had said we hadn't checked in. I thought this was pretty clearly an attempt to stop us giving them any kind of negative review - which has been a theme of previous reviews here.

So overall found the whole experience sightly odd. It's actually a really nice hotel; I just think the management need to be a bit less defensive and accept critical feedback where it's due. And be a bit more upfront with guests on things like extra charges. Some of the responses to comments here just seem far more defensive than is necessary.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ed R
Zaman H, Manager at Zaman Ya Zaman Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Reviews are of course important to us, irrespective of whether they are from regular individuals outlining their recent experiences of a stay at our humble abode - or from those who feel the need to conduct a Gordon Ramsey style hotel inspection and an annual staff appraisal of management.

First of all, let me say, my observation is, that you seem to have lots of spare time to delve back donkeys years and read historic reviews and responses. Thats nice and truly impressive, especially for someone who wants to book an economic budget room for a one night stay in a guests house.

Clearly your encounter was with a new member of staff, who has since left this hotel, who wasnt sure of his work . Nothing odd about it really.

Whats really odd is that having done the historical research, you went ahead and booked, then deliberately marked the hotel down, because you didnt agree with previous management responses to other reviews... seriously..?
Suffice to say, most would find that odd..

Nevertheless, we always seek to ensure the utmost satisfaction of all our guests.

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Great location, can see roman theater through window, very clean room, if you compare with other hotels, most of staff are super nice people, breakfast was good too, they also help arrange tours that picks you up right at the hotel

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Zaman H, Manager at Zaman Ya Zaman Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

We really appreciate it when people take the time to post a review and a recommendation. Thanks for pointing out the many plus points of staying in our Hotel
and for mentioning the economical shared tours which are very popular.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Stayed here for three nights.

Plusses:
- Wifi
- Great terrace/balcony with view of the Roman theatre
- helpful staff + 24 hour reception
- decent breakfast
- organised tours
- decent room prices

Negatives:
- Bit of confusion regarding the room. I had initially pre-booked a dorm room for a single night. Having arrived in Jordan at 6am the morning prior to my booking, however, I was tired so asked if I could take a bed for a few hours until my booked space was ready for check in. This is a fairly standard ask and in my experience most hostels offer a room at a heavily discounted rate (or a sofa!) in such circumstances. I was given a bed in an empty private room and charged a discounted rate of 8JD (and was told I couldn't have breakfast) - fair enough. However confusion arose when my friend arrived later that morning - at 11am - and was also apparently charged the same amount to stay in the room early. To us this seemed slightly opportunistic - guests shouldn't be charged close to the full rate for about an hour's usage of an otherwise empty room. We didn't end up contesting this - and my friend was stupid for agreeing to it - so arguably our fault as much as anyone's, but frankly it felt like a bit of a sting, particularly after the outrageously expensive airport taxi (27JD for a 30 minute journey - that's gotta be one of the priciest in the world)! Basically it harmed our trust, which leads me on to the second negative....
- We felt like there was quite a lot of hard sell regarding the organised tours. Of course, hostels have absolutely no obligation to provide information to guests, and clearly have an incentive to fill up their tours, but in my experience the best hostels offer impartial advice with the offer of a cheap organised tour if only guests are interested. We only found out about various bits of essential travel information - such as the availability and cheapness of local busses, both to the South of the country and to the airport (only 3JD!) through asking around at other hostels....the staff at Zaman Ya Zaman always seemed keen to push their tours, and (according to my friend) were unhelpful regarding alternative options (he was told that the airport bus was unreliable - which was untrue in both of our experiences). In the end we actually opted going with other companies on tours because we got the vibe that information was being withheld from us @ Zaman ya Zaman. Basically it would have been good to get some impartial advice for travellers on a shoestring budget (eg, take X bus to Y location, then rent a cheap taxi) rather than always being directed back to the hostel's tours and told that there were few other feasible transport options. That said, the staff were always friendly, so this is more of an observation than a criticism.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Zaman H, Manager at Zaman Ya Zaman Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thanks for taking the time to post your review - and your observations have been investigated and where necessary staff have been advised to correct inconsistencies.

Its important to us to listen to all our guests and ensure, where possible, their complete satisfaction.

I would just like to refer to the point about your friend. As I understand you both booked dorm rooms - as separate entities - so the fact that you were given a room at 6am - 8 hours prior to check in for a reduced fee, has no bearing on him. He arrived you said at 11am... why didnt he just leave his bag in storage with us and check in at the allotted time of 2pm..? This is the usual way. The fact you were given a preferantial rate to use another room until check in, doesnt mean that any other guest is allowed to use it. No hotel permits usage of its facilities, ie beds, showers, toilets, wifi etc until check-in.

Regarding charges for pick up... 27jd is the rate the transport company charge. You could have taken an airport taxi around 22jd... and then been harrassed for tips on top. With all due respect you knew the charge beforehand and agreed. You must also know that all airports have taxis - and could have gone by that method. The journey time is approx 45 minutes in fact.

Regarding tours.... Our policy is only to suggest tours to interested parties. If you want to do your own thing we dont interfere with that... We are not in the business of being pushy and if it came across like that I apologize. We run a hotel not a tour company - but guests do request us to try and find others to share tours to keep their costs down.

If the staff seemed unhelpful regarding getting around the south of Jordan on buses - its probably because they dont know. Our staff have cars and dont use buses. And what you were asking is a bit like - I live in Crediton and want to get to Pratts Bottom - how do I do that? No idea !! So, most people go online and check how to get from A-B. Would a hotel in London explain how you get from Cheltenham to Kidlington? I doubt it.

But if you ask local questions thats something different, they can answer you with everything you need. If you actually ended up taking tours with another company - what information did you need about buses then? Clearly your new choice of company didnt give you bus options either... probably because they dont exist or they didnt know either.

Its sad you felt that way about your stay with us - but hopefully you had a great time in Jordan and saw everything you needed to.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

The highlights of this hotel have to be it's location (about 10mins walk from downtown Amman) and it's quaint breakfast room and terrace with splendid views of the Roman amphitheater right opposite.

The staff were nice, kind and helpful and the breakfast was quite good (although it would be nice to have an option for some plain-old toast or cereal along with the more Jordanian options).

The rooms are quite basic and small (two beds and some shelving - no other furniture) - which we were expecting and the bathroom's decor is quite beautiful. For some reason we were given a twin room (even though we booked a double-room and our booking confirmation included the dimensions of the double bed!). We also had some misunderstanding with the staff with regards to how much we had to pay for our first night since we were arriving at the hotel at 5am. At first they said we'd be charged for half a night and then they changed their minds and said we'd need to pay for a full night.

Nevertheless we felt very safe staying here and since the hotel is in a private gated alley it was a nice quiet place to stay in Amman. All

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

We really appreciate it when people take the time to post a review and a recommendation. Thanks for pointing out the fact our staff are extremely accommodating and friendly. Regarding the breakfast - we hope that our guests will enjoy the different local food, but I m looking at adding the items you mentioned, thanks for your useful suggestion.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I would have rate this 3 due to the fact that we booked 2 rooms with 3 single bed on a shared T&B, but unfortunately we were given 1 room with 2 double bed with T&B and the 2nd room with 1 double and 1 single bed... I'm on the 2nd room and we manage to sleep comfortably by removing the top mattress of the double bed and placing it on the floor ...and instantly we have 3 separate bed..., Chaddi is very apologetic and he even assisted us in parking our car across the street since parking on front of the bldg. which is the main road is only up to 7am otherwise it will be tow...and Mary the lady cook was very nice to prepare our food first since were on our way to Jarash...in fairness the breakfast is fantastic... located in downtown Amman just across Roman Amphitheater.

Room Tip: just double check before coming that the room you booked is the same room you will get....
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends