“Decent hotel/hostel”

Zaman Ya Zaman Boutique Hotel
Ranked #28 of 150 Hotels in Amman
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Stayed here for three nights.

Plusses:
- Wifi
- Great terrace/balcony with view of the Roman theatre
- helpful staff + 24 hour reception
- decent breakfast
- organised tours
- decent room prices

Negatives:
- Bit of confusion regarding the room. I had initially pre-booked a dorm room for a single night. Having arrived in Jordan at 6am the morning prior to my booking, however, I was tired so asked if I could take a bed for a few hours until my booked space was ready for check in. This is a fairly standard ask and in my experience most hostels offer a room at a heavily discounted rate (or a sofa!) in such circumstances. I was given a bed in an empty private room and charged a discounted rate of 8JD (and was told I couldn't have breakfast) - fair enough. However confusion arose when my friend arrived later that morning - at 11am - and was also apparently charged the same amount to stay in the room early. To us this seemed slightly opportunistic - guests shouldn't be charged close to the full rate for about an hour's usage of an otherwise empty room. We didn't end up contesting this - and my friend was stupid for agreeing to it - so arguably our fault as much as anyone's, but frankly it felt like a bit of a sting, particularly after the outrageously expensive airport taxi (27JD for a 30 minute journey - that's gotta be one of the priciest in the world)! Basically it harmed our trust, which leads me on to the second negative....
- We felt like there was quite a lot of hard sell regarding the organised tours. Of course, hostels have absolutely no obligation to provide information to guests, and clearly have an incentive to fill up their tours, but in my experience the best hostels offer impartial advice with the offer of a cheap organised tour if only guests are interested. We only found out about various bits of essential travel information - such as the availability and cheapness of local busses, both to the South of the country and to the airport (only 3JD!) through asking around at other hostels....the staff at Zaman Ya Zaman always seemed keen to push their tours, and (according to my friend) were unhelpful regarding alternative options (he was told that the airport bus was unreliable - which was untrue in both of our experiences). In the end we actually opted going with other companies on tours because we got the vibe that information was being withheld from us @ Zaman ya Zaman. Basically it would have been good to get some impartial advice for travellers on a shoestring budget (eg, take X bus to Y location, then rent a cheap taxi) rather than always being directed back to the hostel's tours and told that there were few other feasible transport options. That said, the staff were always friendly, so this is more of an observation than a criticism.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Zaman H, Manager at Zaman Ya Zaman Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thanks for taking the time to post your review - and your observations have been investigated and where necessary staff have been advised to correct inconsistencies.

Its important to us to listen to all our guests and ensure, where possible, their complete satisfaction.

I would just like to refer to the point about your friend. As I understand you both booked dorm rooms - as separate entities - so the fact that you were given a room at 6am - 8 hours prior to check in for a reduced fee, has no bearing on him. He arrived you said at 11am... why didnt he just leave his bag in storage with us and check in at the allotted time of 2pm..? This is the usual way. The fact you were given a preferantial rate to use another room until check in, doesnt mean that any other guest is allowed to use it. No hotel permits usage of its facilities, ie beds, showers, toilets, wifi etc until check-in.

Regarding charges for pick up... 27jd is the rate the transport company charge. You could have taken an airport taxi around 22jd... and then been harrassed for tips on top. With all due respect you knew the charge beforehand and agreed. You must also know that all airports have taxis - and could have gone by that method. The journey time is approx 45 minutes in fact.

Regarding tours.... Our policy is only to suggest tours to interested parties. If you want to do your own thing we dont interfere with that... We are not in the business of being pushy and if it came across like that I apologize. We run a hotel not a tour company - but guests do request us to try and find others to share tours to keep their costs down.

If the staff seemed unhelpful regarding getting around the south of Jordan on buses - its probably because they dont know. Our staff have cars and dont use buses. And what you were asking is a bit like - I live in Crediton and want to get to Pratts Bottom - how do I do that? No idea !! So, most people go online and check how to get from A-B. Would a hotel in London explain how you get from Cheltenham to Kidlington? I doubt it.

But if you ask local questions thats something different, they can answer you with everything you need. If you actually ended up taking tours with another company - what information did you need about buses then? Clearly your new choice of company didnt give you bus options either... probably because they dont exist or they didnt know either.

Its sad you felt that way about your stay with us - but hopefully you had a great time in Jordan and saw everything you needed to.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

The highlights of this hotel have to be it's location (about 10mins walk from downtown Amman) and it's quaint breakfast room and terrace with splendid views of the Roman amphitheater right opposite.

The staff were nice, kind and helpful and the breakfast was quite good (although it would be nice to have an option for some plain-old toast or cereal along with the more Jordanian options).

The rooms are quite basic and small (two beds and some shelving - no other furniture) - which we were expecting and the bathroom's decor is quite beautiful. For some reason we were given a twin room (even though we booked a double-room and our booking confirmation included the dimensions of the double bed!). We also had some misunderstanding with the staff with regards to how much we had to pay for our first night since we were arriving at the hotel at 5am. At first they said we'd be charged for half a night and then they changed their minds and said we'd need to pay for a full night.

Nevertheless we felt very safe staying here and since the hotel is in a private gated alley it was a nice quiet place to stay in Amman. All

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Zaman H, Manager at Zaman Ya Zaman Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

We really appreciate it when people take the time to post a review and a recommendation. Thanks for pointing out the fact our staff are extremely accommodating and friendly. Regarding the breakfast - we hope that our guests will enjoy the different local food, but I m looking at adding the items you mentioned, thanks for your useful suggestion.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I would have rate this 3 due to the fact that we booked 2 rooms with 3 single bed on a shared T&B, but unfortunately we were given 1 room with 2 double bed with T&B and the 2nd room with 1 double and 1 single bed... I'm on the 2nd room and we manage to sleep comfortably by removing the top mattress of the double bed and placing it on the floor ...and instantly we have 3 separate bed..., Chaddi is very apologetic and he even assisted us in parking our car across the street since parking on front of the bldg. which is the main road is only up to 7am otherwise it will be tow...and Mary the lady cook was very nice to prepare our food first since were on our way to Jarash...in fairness the breakfast is fantastic... located in downtown Amman just across Roman Amphitheater.

Room Tip: just double check before coming that the room you booked is the same room you will get....
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank James R
Reviewed 30 August 2017

Based on the great internet reviews, I booked this hotel directly with them via email about 6 weeks prior to arrival. I requested airport pickup, and provided full details of my flight. They replied with a quote for all prices, and confirmed the pickup. A couple of days prior to my trip, I emailed to confirm. Despite the fact that no details had changed, and they were all in the email trail, I had to provide my flight details again.
Needless to say that when I arrived, no-one was waiting for me. So I went to the Info Desk, and got them to ring the hotel. To summarise the next 45 minutes- multiple calls to the hotel with them first saying the driver was on the way, then later saying they couldn't contact him I better get a taxi, then when the taxi driver rang to find out where the hotel was they asked to speak to me to say driver was there. He actually appeared 20 minutes later.
Then, when I went to pay, the desk guy wanted to add tax to prices that had been confirmed by email as all inclusive, not to mention adding an after-midnight airport pickup surcharge that was also not in the price quoted to me.
I asked him where I could get some money. His reply "from an ATM!". After asking the obvious question, I got directions, minus street names, because according to him there are no street signs in Amman. I was actually saved later in my trip from being badly ripped off because in actual fact streets in Amman do have street signs in English.
Finally got to my room, which was small and basic, and had some sleep. Later, after a hot day touring the citadel and the Roman Ampitheatre, I returned to my room and went to turn on the AC. No AC, no lights! My man in reception checked it out, then told me someone would be there to fix things in an hour. Not wanting to wait a Jordanian hour for someone to turn up, let alone the time it might take to fix things, I requested a room change. So I went from a room supposed to have AC, to one with just a fan. And no towel, soap, or toilet paper either. Couldn't be bothered following up anymore what was obviously too hard for them.
On the positive side, the breakfast was good, served in the small breakfast room that is the highlight of the hotel: bright and sunny, with an excellent view to the Roman Ampitheatre just across the road.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris M
Zaman H, General Manager at Zaman Ya Zaman Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent experience. Clearly your experience was unsatisfactory and I looked into every complaint you raised. From the outset it appeared things went wrong - from the pick up to your room allocation and the advice given. I can only apologize for this and have put measures in place to ensure this will never happen again. Even though your stay was a very short 1 night event - and we didnt have time to make it up to you, none of what you stated should have happened as we work had to provide the best possible service available to ensure 100% guest satisfaction - as you can understand, sometimes, some things go wrong.
We regret that your overall experience was marred by these events. We note with some pleasure that you did enjoy the breakfast and the splendid views from the hotel. We thank you for posting an honest and objective review.

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Central position, extremely good location to visit the old part of the city. You just need to cross the street to visit roman amphitheater

Staff extremely helpful, polite and friendly. Tried to accommodate all our requests and gave us great advices on what to visit and where to eat

Rooms with air conditioning and wifi

Great variety for breakfast. You can have both sweets/international and local breakfast

Vast choice of tours that you can book also the night before with little notice

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Thanks for taking the time to post your kind and generous review. Reviews are important for both us and potential guests. We really appreciate you pointing out all the good points of staying at Zaman as thats what guests want to know.