“WONDERFUL staff, comfortable and clean, loved the location in the old city!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lutheran Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Lutheran Guest House
Ranked #6 of 56 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Jefferson City, Missouri
“WONDERFUL staff, comfortable and clean, loved the location in the old city!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My review is for a 3-night stay from May, 2011. Sorry for the delay in posting about it. I am ever the procrastinator and thinking too much about my NEXT trip rather than the previous. But hopefully that doesn't make my opinions/experience any less valued to the Trip Advisor community.

My experiece with the Luthern Guesthouse begins stateside. My flight was delayed and I missed my connection, so did not arrive in Jerusalem until one day later than planned. As soon as I knew that I wouldn't make it on time, I phoned them and explained, asking for them to please hold my reservation for the remaining three days and I would gladly pay for all four due to the short notice. They said no problem and I was relieved to hear this. When I finally arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they did not feel it necessary to charge me for the first night afterall, since I had called and let them know my situation. I find that to be outstanding customer service, which I received throughout my stay. Never too many questions, never too many requests, always friendly smiles and warm welcomes.

The single standard room that I had reserved exceeded my expectations, very comfortable and clean, very good shower (good water pressure, good drainage, everything worked as it should). Breakfast was also great. A lovely dining area, staffed again by helpful, smiling staff. And the offerings were plentiful, varied and delicious!

I will say it could be a little bit daunting trying to find your way to the guesthouse on arrival, being tired from traveling, lugging a suitcase behind you. There are several twists and turns of the pathways in the Old City, which is also a great part of its charm! But thanks to the kindness of a wonderful local couple who were traveling on the same bus as me from the airport, I was led right to the front door! Believe me, it was quite a relief to not have to worry about navigation at that point in my journey. Just be sure to try and get very specific directions before you arrive and you will be fine.

Thank you, Lutheran Guesthouse, for a fantastic stay in a beautiful city! I will wholeheartedly recommend you to all my friends in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Idnas71
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed at the Lutheran Guest House for three nights in mid February. I had a single room, which was small but very clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious with a good working shower.
Breakfast is very basic, but enough to fill me up for the morning. I found it difficult to locate restaurants for dinner short of walking out of the old city and into the new city (and being dead tired after walking through the old city, it wasn't much of an option). Best to have a late lunch and snack for dinner (at a nearby bakery).
The hotel is basically on a small alley up a few sets of stairs, so that despite my original hesitation to pay a "guide" to drag my suitcase through the back alleys, it did make arriving much simpler. I left early in the morning before the shops opened so that it was easier to drag my luggage back to Jaffa Gate, but it was still a number of steps up to the taxi stand.
For all that walking and climbing steps, you get a hotel room just minutes from the Western Wall and just minutes from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. The views are spectacular from the hotel's lovely garden (even in February) and its rooftop terrace.
The front desk was very helpful (and sells soft drinks etc. to take back to the room).
I can't think of a better location to explore the old city.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank JWm65
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Its quite easy to find and is in a good spot for visiting the old city, although you will have to walk there from the Jaffa Gate and with luggage is a bit of a pain. Its also is in a good spot to get into the new parts of jerusalem which you willneed to do if you want to eat in the evenings. THe rooms are very basic and small, there is no coffee making facilities and no where to get a coffee from, The shower was good, the room was a bit chilly but there were extra blankets, the heating seemd to come on about 9pm oddly. The breakfast was very basic, certainly not enough to take you up to lunch. It is set in some lovely gardens and has a great view over temple mount. the guys on reception where friendly, and arranged a nice guide to take us into Bethlehem for the afternoon. As a base it was great, but don't expect any creature comforts.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Spanzarella
Berlin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Yesterday we have stayed one night in this guest house.
It has an optimal location in the heart of the old city.
The room was quite clean and the beds comfortable.
BUT
It was so very cold it was a torture to shower there and to go to sleep/wake up in such a cold room.
Also breakfast was quite lame for an israeli hotel.
If you want to stay there when you visit jerusalem, at least make sure the heating or the air conditioning works well, otherwise you might regret not staying in a better hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pumpkin1974
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

20 yr old male travelling with 60 yr old mum
Great location for soaking up old city vibe (so everything closes at night) and pretty close to info centre (don't take their work as fact though...we went all the way out to the train station on the outskirts of Jerusalem following their directions only to find out there weren't any trains?) and Jaffa Gate (Mamilla Mall is right next to Jaffa Gate so you CAN find somewhere close for dinner).
Some staff better than others (managed to borrow a set of crutches when I twisted my ankle).
Rooms nice and really felt like you were staying in the old city (light sleepers be away you can hear church bells and calls to prayer) and courtyard and lounge area were nice.
Breakfast was good and easy to use the net.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family