“Worn out hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 56 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Prague, Czech Republic
“Worn out hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Looks great on photos but reality is pathetic. The main light in my room didn't work and they repaired it by taking the chandelier down, laying it on the floor and letting naked bulb to hang from the ceiling. There are wholes in ceiling panels at the corridors. Next to the hotel there is a construction pride where they are digging deep base. They start at seven in the morning (six of my normal time) and whole room starts to shake. Next night there were two noisy night clubs just next to the hotel and parties on two balconies in houses neighboring hotel. So I had very poor sleep again. Breakfast was a parody on hotel breakfast. On the other hand the hotel is close to old town and thus very comfortable in terms of traveling throughout the city. Receptionists were very helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pavel K
AyalaHotels, Manager at Jerusalem Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear Sir
We have checked your complain regarding the light in the room.according to our maintenance man,he took the chandelier down and let the light bulb stay exposed because of a request for stronger light in the room.We are sorry that he left the left it laying on the floor and already took actions to prevent it from happening again.your entire review is carefully learned and we will do our outmost to fix everything for our guests satisfaction.
The hotel is not worn out- exactly the opposite-it is currently in process of renovation
The management
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

The location of this hotel cannot be beaten, it is very close to the centre of Jerusalem, and a short walk to the Old City. I stayed in the hotel 3 times in January/February 2012, once in one of the cheaper rooms and then twice in the more expensive rooms. I had a positive experience all three times. The hotel is currently in the process of being renovated, so I think there is still a big mix of different rooms. The first cheap room that I had was clean and very big. The bathroom was very small with a typical Israeli floor-flooding style shower. It was very comfortable. The other two times I stayed I was with my mother, and we were in the more expensive rooms on the ground floor. She did complain that outside was a bit noisy at night, but I didn't notice it- this might be a problem if you are a light sleeper! The rooms were also big, and the bathrooms were bigger than the other one before. The first room we stayed in the shower was floor-flooding style while the second one was a bath. Breakfast is served around the corner at a kosher cafe, and is very nice! On Shabbat the cafe is closed and breakfast is served in a small dinning room with food from the cafe, it was fine though expect the bread to be stale on Shabbat! The hotel also organised a shabbat meal on friday for us at their other hotel nearby which was well worth it. The staff are lovely and friendly. I would return again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TheBronwyn
Chania Town, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Excellent location for touring the old city -- and also being in the heart of the 'nightlife.' Although it is located near the busy evening section of town, the noise from the clubs was not a bother. The morning breakfast had a great variety of choices ... nothing fancy but a 'good spread' of food. The night desk clerk (Nadav) was particularly helpful with answering questions about the city, transportation, and other helpful hints for a tourist like me who doesn't speak the language or know his way around.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank mark l
Hampshire, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

The Jerusalem Inn.

Had this inn been described as a hostel, with prices to match, we would have no complaints. However, in December, 201 we paid £178 for two nights at The Jerusalem Inn ($275 at the then exchange rate.)

We tour a lot and recently returned from six weeks in the Middle East. My wife is just going back for a month. We have driven 25,000 miles across America and Canada in the past five years, so we know what hotels can and should be like.

We normally stay at terrific mid-range hotels, like Drury Inns in the USA, where you get vastly superior accommodation (current rate around $90 a night for superb rooms with two double beds, great free cooked breakfast, evening drinks, free long distance phone calls, etc etc).

The Jerusalem Inn, by comparison….oh dear! Even the cheapest US motels are superior. I have never before had so little space to unpack that I had to use the top of the wardrobe…..

This was December and it was cold at night. High up in the room was what looked like a heater. However, there were no controls to turn it on – and nobody in the hotel to help us on the first night. Next day we were presented with a remote control which should have been there in the first place. The receptionist did, however, lend us a staff heater, which was kind of her. The staff - a very few of them - did their best but the problem lay in the management.

Time for a nice relaxing shower….ho ho ho. The shower seemed to have been specifically designed to make it impossible to get under the shower head. I mean, it could not have been more awkward or inconvenient. Eventually I managed to get some water on my body by standing precariously on a small ledge at one end, right under the shower head. This was slippery and dangerous when I stepped off. Then I reached for the soap….

Soap? You expected soap, sir? Again, congratulations on another first, Jerusalem Inn. I’ve never been in any hotel in my life, at whatever price, from The Hilton to Econolodge, where they couldn’t even manage to fill up a soap dispenser.

Wait, it gets worse. You want to complain? Surely sir didn’t expect a phone in the room?
Time for a nice tea or coffee. Or it would be if there was a kettle. The exercise involved in going down two flights of steep stairs to get some hot water no doubt did us good.

Time for bed. One cramped, uncomfortable bed, with no top sheet and no mattress protector. Totally unsuitable but par for the course at The Jerusalem Inn.

Oh well, I’ll get up early for a shave. Shave, sir? Surely you didn’t expect a shaver point?
I carry adapters so eventually found a plug but these too were in short supply.

At least we had some cabaret – entirely free. The first night there was what sounded like a riot outside, going on until after 3 am. It was a party at the Moroccan restaurant next door. Surely night two couldn’t be as bad? No – it was far worse. Unearthly howling started up, like a tribe of banshees. I surmise it was mourners. They mourned all night, then retired for a good sleep somewhen just after dawn.

We went out with the breakfast vouchers you get, to a coffee house down the road. Not that the hotel guests were served real coffee. We had to make do with the discount menu, instant “coffee”. Fortunately, knowing this was Israel, we carried bags of real coffee and made our own drinks. But the water was well cooked, folks. We appreciated that, which is why I give this hotel one star. That, by the way, is over-rating it…..I’d say someone needs to pull the plug on The Jerusalem Inn. But they don’t provide plugs in the sink.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aldershot1
AyalaHotels, Manager at Jerusalem Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
Dear Sir,
We were Sorry to read of your dissapointment of your stay at our hotel during your visit to Jerusalem on December.Thank you for the review- we learn a lot of it.
I would like to Tell you and Tripadvisor readers that recently theHotel ghas changed management,and most of the hotel went throug a great renovation.The renovation includes full distruction of the rooms- new bathrooms,new double glazed windows,and brand new equipment: new comfortable beds,new carpets,curtains etc..
We are sure that all these steps ,along with the Great location of the Jerusalem inn,will Provide people who travel to Jerusalem, a great Hotel.