“Good hotel - Old City Jerusalem” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gloria Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jerusalem
Gloria Hotel
Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Jerusalem
Minnesota
“Good hotel - Old City Jerusalem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

I liked this hotel for several reasons - the main two being the location (just inside the wall of the Old City by the Jaffa Gate) and because we got four beds in a huge room for a good price, which was great for a family - and the room was very spacious.

A breakfast and an evening buffet was included in the price. Jerusalem can be an expensive place and the Gloria was a good deal that made our week stay more affordable.

Very safe location, and you are close to everything. Though certainly not a 5 star hotel it was clean and kept up very nice and I would definitely go there again. Good views of the city wall and the ramparts. We were there during Ramadan and could hear the cannons if we left the windows open - you feel a part of the Old City.

There are some great tours just outside the Jaffa Gate - about a two minute walk from the lobby. There is the Sandeman 3 hour walking tour of the Old City (excellent and free - they accept donations). There are also a couple of van tours: one to the Sea of Galilee / Jericho and one to Masada / Dead Sea.

Also walking distance to many tourist sights and hundreds of shops and restaurant.

This was a good choice for taking a family for an Old City experience at an affordable price.

Room Tip: If travelling as a family or a group then get a larger room with multiple beds to keep lodging costs...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank RonBonine
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I arrived in Jerusalem in a downpour! I took a city bus from the bus station (had just taken a bus for 18 shekels from Tel Aviv, less than one hour) and it was cold and then it poured - as I was staying just inside the Jaffa Gate at the Gloria Hotel, I thought I would just take a city bus, a local man who had been on the bus from Tel Aviv, helped me (bit disconcerting when soldiers get on the bus and take "suspects" off) - anyway, not sure where we got off but it was pouring, I needed to be in the Christian quarter and I think we started in the Armenian quarter because he said the bus couldn't stop where I needed it to - we had to climb lots of steps and run through lots of narrow streets but eventually we got to the Jaffa Gate bit and he took me to the tourist info centre....then it was just up and to the left to the Gloria Hotel...I had read a review that said the wifi signal (I had just bought an iPod Touch and wanted to be in contact with friends and family via the 'net) was stronger in the annex so I had emailed to request a room there - the decor was dated, the toilet tank dripped, the old tv took 10 mins to warm up and the room safe was locked - I reported all this to the owner and he said he would look into it - a guy came to the room and said "you just need to give the tv 10 minutes to warm up" - (!) anyway, when I went to the main building for breakfast the next morning, the owner asked if the things had been fixed and I said no and he said they had a nice room in the main building that I could look at after breakfast as they wanted to make me happy - it was night and day, flat screen tv, door to a patio (although it was Feb so they were storing old windows etc out there) window in the bathroom, toilet roll holder, nice duvet on the king size bed as opposed to old blankets and floral bedspread - it was the same price, so I switched (also in the annex there's no elevator, I struggled to get my suitcase and bag down the stone stairs, had just bought 6 x 1.5 litre bottles of water too - anyway, I was much happier in the new room. The breakfast buffet was ok, a lot of salad, which I didn't fancy in the morning, but I had enough to eat with the cereal and fruit - never fancy the eggs on a buffet as they tend to sit there a long time - very courteous staff. The hotel called to book me a tour of the Dead Sea and the Masada (both well worth going to, about $95.00 U.S. I had to walk to a large hotel in the New City to meet a small bus, which was about 25 minutes late, which took me to another hotel to split off into my tour group on another small bus) and they lent me an umbrella when I went out to dinner in another downpour (I went to a restaruant in the YMCA hotel in the New City, one of the few places open on Shabatt and I had read it was vegetarian, it wasn't, but the food was good and the building was lovely) - they were very helpful and eager to please - they also called an airport shuttle to pick me up -although I had to go earlier than I wanted as the 8am slot was not available, it ended up being way too early as the flight was delayed too...but hey, much cheaper than a cab. The room was clean, flat screen tv, nice bathroom, nice stone in the lobby.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building, I was on the first floor, lovely room and the wifi (included) worke...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TorontoTraveller2009
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We just completed 6 nights at the Gloria Hotel, and it included Easter/Passover weekend which must be the busiest time of year. As I sit in our room in the final hour of our stay, the bells of a church are ringing outside the window. It's enchanting. The only other sounds we hear are birds every morning and evening, and the muezzinim calling muslims to prayer. So wonderful. Admittedly as some reviewers have noted, on our first night we had a room with two small beds though we had asked for a double, the hot water did not work, nor did the wifi. But ALL these things were rectified immediately the next day and we were moved to a totally renovated room, with lovely hot water, a huge king-size bed, and excellent wifi. The staff have been great. This hotel is just inside the walls of the old city and for that reason alone it is a must-stay location. The building dates from about 1850 and was originally a Greek hospital. Walls are thick and rooms are cool, even on hot days. We never turned on the air conditioning or heat. Finally, compared to any other Jerusalem hotel, the rates here are half the price, or even one third the price you will pay in this VERY expensive city.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bshell
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

This hotel is steps away from the Jaffa Gate. Don't let it's appearance fool you. You enter off a small street and into a small courtyard that's beautifully decorated with a few tables and flowers. You come into the hotel into a beautiful foyer area with an "old timey" front desk immediately to your left. On your right is a tastefully decorated sitting area with a bar located at the back of this area. The people who run this hotel are very nice and accomodating. They are in the process of remodeling the rooms. The room we were in was on the second floor which also houses the dining room. Our room was small, but clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was fairly large, but the window was quite drafty - which normally wouldn't be a problem, but on this visit, it snowed in Jersulam, so it was pretty cold. We had a TV w/ the usual channels as well as a phone. From our window, we could overlook part of the city as well as a church steeple. We enjoyed the church bells - reminded me so much of my childhood, but if you're not into church bells, you're in trouble as they're all over the city. The dining room was very nice - simple, but nice. We were in Jersalem as part of a pilgramage with the Diocese of Knoxville. The food was plentiful and beautifully presented - buffet style. I enjoyed it, but my husband had difficulty with the middle eastern cooking. But, the dining room staff bent over backward to ensure that everyone had something to eat. The dates and figs our out of this world as are the tangerines and oranges. I can't say enough about how friendly the staff at this hotel is. It's not fancy, but it's clean and what the heck, it's not like you're in the hotel all day long. You're out exploring Jersalem and the surrounding area. We would definately return. Thank you Gloria Hotel for providing us with such a nice place to stay while we enjoyed Jersalem!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TennesseeAdela
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The only good thing I can say about this hotel was the location. The staff except for an older gentleman were non attentive. The room was cold and when I complained I do not think anything was done (still cold). There was no hot water on one night. Breakfast was supposed to be served at 0630 in the morning did not happen until 0645. The Wi-Fi would only work when you are in the lobby and even then it was a hit and a miss. I was told that it was my computer that was having a problem becasue the young lady's cell phone could connect...really. The location is really great you could actually walk to all the sites. As I mentioned before the gentleman on the front desk (older gentleman) was extremely helpful...wish he was there the entire time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo