“Friendly staff, frayed property - a conundrum”

Dan Panorama Jerusalem
Ranked #23 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I'll start with a caveat that Jerusalem is an expensive city for lodging. $290 USD/night in another city might get you a suite or might get you something even less than this, but for that we got a friendly staff and a property in dire need of refurbishment.

Our bed was comfortable and our room was quiet. The front desk staff was very helpful in giving directions, making restaurant recommendations and in setting up a spur of the moment trip to Bethlehem. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious, if a bit overwhelming based on the sheer size of the dining area and the number of tours at the hotel.

Location is not bad with the old city about a 10-15 minute walk away.

When we checked into our room it was a quick glance that told me we did not have the promised "refurbished room" we had reserved. When I called guest services I was told that we were in an upgraded executive suite. When I asked what was upgraded about it or what made it a suite, I was met with silence.

The sheets and towels were torn and frayed, although clean. The bed was made up then had another mattress placed on top of it that was also made up. Sheets came undone every night, showing the rips and holes. Robes were provided but neither fit us as they were very, very small. Furniture was dusty, splintered and chipped. The mini-fridge was stained and dirty, the mirror on the closet door was cracked, there was no clock in the room, no plugs in the bathroom (save for the shaver) and an old hairdryer attached to the wall with a hose.

There was a single set of blackout curtains in the room so we had either darkness or looked into the buidling across the street (and they into our room). The staff was very quick at delivering a hand held hair dryer to the room and I was able to keep it for the four nights we were there. It was held together with packing tape. But it worked and was far better than the one attached to the wall.

My first inclination was to change hotels, but the Dan Panorama was clean and, again, the staff very friendly and helpful. Aside from staying at a much higher price, I didn't know where I might get better for even just a little bit more, so we stayed. I wouldn't stay there again nor would I highly recommentd it.

Room Tip: We wandered down a hall looking for another elevator on Shabbat and happened onto an area that had n...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Dan Panorama Jerusalem

Reviewed 22 November 2011

Its in the heart of the city and the staff are very welcoming and friendly. Its close to everything, including the Old City. The rooms are well appointed and the food choices were very broad and quite tasty. The views from the upper floor rooms are nice as well. They have everything you could need, from service 24 hours around the clock to a gym (which is fairly well equiped compared to other locations in the Middle East). I would definitely go back there on my next trip to Israel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank David G
DanHotelsIsrael, Management at Dan Panorama Jerusalem, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2011

Dear valued guest,
I am very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time with us here at the Dan Panorama Jerusalem! Thank you for taking the time to write your thorough and informative review. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon!
All the best,
Guest Relation Manager.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

I have stayed at better hotels and worse hotels. This was a great choice due to it's location. The Israeli breakfasts were great! They even packed us a breakfast to go when we had to leave at the crack of dawn for a tour one morning. My mom and I stayed in a room together. We are both petite and then and it was still a little tight. We hardly spent any time in the room except for showering and sleeping so this wasn't an issue. The only gripe I have is the fact that the blow dryers were very weak. They gave me another dryer at the front desk, and that too was old and weak. This was a minor inconvenience. I felt very safe at this hotel and the staff were friendly. I hope to get back to Jerusalem and when I do, I will not hesitate to book this property again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lukaana
Reviewed 21 November 2011

A good place to stay - non-intrusive atmosphere for the guest, quiet location, 20 minute walking distance from the Old City, very convenient for many of the key attractions in Jerusalem. Rooms are comfortable. Bathrooms are adequate. Service is good. Breakfasts are memorable for their quality and quantity!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that gets plenty of light. Ask for an upgrade if you get a room that does not get su...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sally_Newport_UK

Dear Valued guest, I am delighted to hear that you experienced such a wonderful recent stay at The Dan Panorama Jerusalem. Thank you very much for taking the time to write your kind review. We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. All the best, Guest Relation Manager.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

We stayed at the Dan Panorama hotel for two nights in November. We were two adults and two kids (7 and 4).
The room was big, I'm sure it would fit for 5 people as well. Our bed was very big and comfortable, the kid's bed (opened sofa) was not that comfortable, but the girls didn't complain.

Wi-Fi connection is available with extra charge (converting rates from NIS, they charge around $9 per hour or $18 for 24 hours).

Breakfast is good, the Saturday breakfast is missing the coffe machine.

We didn't try any of the hotel's activities such as gym or kid's activities.

The hotel is located 10 minutes walk from Mamila center or the time elevator, and 20 minutes walk (at 4 years old pace) from the old city (Jaffa gate). Also close to Mishkenot Sha'ananim & Yemin Moshe.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family