“Great friendly service, good location, good value in an older hotel”
Review of Urkmez Hotel

Urkmez Hotel
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We only stayed at the Urkmez for two nights while visiting Epheseus. The room was adequate certainly for 40 Euros. Similar comments to those below - bathroom was tiny with sliding door not offering much privacy and the shower small. Our bed was comfortable but the sheet didn't fully cover the bed (or my husband's feet). However,
the warmth and friendliness of the two brother/owners more than compensated especially since our stay was short. Note - the hotel has no elevator so if you have any problems with stairs - this is not the place for you.
The rooftop breakfast room has a closed and open air section and great views of the city. The storks nesting are indeed a highlight at his time of year. Typical Turkish breakfast, simple but very fresh.
The managers were very efficient with respect to replying to e-mails and arranging transport. We had an unexpected change of flight, advised them and had an e-mail back with confirmed pick up at the new time within 15 minutes.
The hotel is good value for the money so long as you realize it is an older hotel. This is Turkish hospitality at it's best - we would stay again.
Also, try the small family cafe on the corner Ephesus Restaurant (Isabey Mah. N. Kemal Cad. No 2). Food all tastes homemade - try the eggplant in yoghurt. Vegetable dishes are best, meat a bit tough.

Reviewed 16 June 2011

Basic bedroom for around $57/night (no cash discount). I think we were upgraded to a "comfort" room which I think means the room has a terrace. Furnishings were basic but clean and comfortable. The A/C was nice and cold. My only complaints on the main room were that the curtains were not wide enough to offer complete privacy and that the bedspread was not wide enough to comfortably cover the bed.

We found the bathroom clean, but there was a very very small narrow showering area because of where the curtain rod was. I opted to just shower with the curtain open, which was fine for one shower but I wouldn't have wanted to do this repeatedly. No bar of soap provided (just shower gel) but we bought one at the little grocery down the street.

The stairwell was quite noisy in the morning because of guests heading up to the terrace for breakfast. If you end up staying here, please quietly go up and down the stairs! :) Breakfast was quite basic but adequate.

The hotel is easy to find and well situated for the tiny little town. We enjoyed the pide restaurant next door. Aim to stay on a Saturday so you can enjoy the world's best farmer's market down a few streets! We took a dolmus to Ephesus but we opted to walk back - it's not too far of a walk.

2  Thank stooksk
Reviewed 13 June 2011

You wont find this a luxurious place but very clean and centrally located for sure. Outside our terrace we could watch the storks perched on the ancientt roman aqueduct. Inside we were beautifully taken care of by Jimmy,Juju and their family and friends. At the las moment our flights were cancelled and original plans thrown out leaving us to arrive from a different Greek island and requiring JuJu to enlist his father to come and fetch us in Cesme no problem, then without car at the end of our stay we hopped aboard a bus to get us back to Ayvalik.Juju said dont bother with going to the station he had his nephew accompany us to the main street and hailed the appropriate bus for us. Juju and Jimmy organized a couple of tours for us keeping in mind we prefer to explore on our own but found us minibuses that didnt take us to anyone's cousin rug shop but provided non stop infromation concerning the gorgeous ruins that surround the area.Their roof top terrace is perfect for a lovely buffet breakfast and at night simple dinner selections were available if the feet were no longer willing to leave the building after vigorous explorations. The two brothers are proud of their city and are extremely helpful with suggestions as to how their guests can best spend their time while in Selcuk. A wonderful experience!

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The owners were great, but the room assigned to me was horrible: very small with a tightly closed window and trust me you do not want to look through the window since this room is in the middle of the building. The bed was completely worn out, and the bed sheet was with some blood stains (though washed). The bathroom was tiny and had no towel hanger. At night, I got claustrophobic and wanted to leave the door wide open. Finally I manage to calm down, then the worn-out bed kept me awake for the rest of the night.

After I told the brothers in the morning, they apologized and decided not to charge me for the night and also arranged and helped me moved to another hotel. I appreciate that but I did have a horrible night and lost valuable sleep, and I still wondered why one of the brothers gave me that room because he told me in the morning that he normally would not give it to any customer.

So beware of the room they give to you. However to be fair, if I did not get that room, I might have different impression or review for this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank kellysf_2010
Reviewed 12 June 2011

A great location in the same street as the Aqueduct.
Polite and friendly staff and a clean basic room.
The rooftop is a lovely place to have breakfast and relax after a day visiting the sights. Also a great place to photograph the storks.
Wi-fi works well on the rooftop but not in the room.
We would stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank CricketGirlDarwin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selcuk
0.7 km away
5.4 km away
Kirkinca Hotel
Kirkinca Hotel
#1 of 4 in Sirince

Been to Urkmez Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK