“I felt as if I were in Japan”
Review of Udonya Restaurant

Udonya Restaurant
Ranked #572 of 15,413 Restaurants in Istanbul
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 100
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Beyoglu
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

I tried gyoza, chicken katsudon, tempuraudon and it was all very tasteful!
I am japanese and surely know all of my local flavours. The owners are Japanese and they speak the language as well!
Truly recommend this place to anyone willing to have some good japanese meal

Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

I’ve been at Udonya with my wife because we love Japanese food. I had a lovely mixed sushi, mostly nigiri and they were amazing. My wife had a salad, miso soup and a tempura which was quite big portion. I had some prawn dumplings that I didn’t really like, but it’s probably my personal taste. We were hoping to have some vegetarian gyoza dumpling (that we are use to eat at home and at Japanese restaurant back home) but only the chicken ones were on the menu. The atmosphere is ok with cooks that prepare sushi on an open cooking table.

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

The restaurant is inside a hotel and has limited hours. I ordered from the lunch menu and had assorted sushi, udon soup, an orange and a vegetable dish. The sushi was exceptionally fresh. The price was 51.5 tl. It took a long time to prepare the sushi but that is because everything is made fresh and they only have 2 chefs. Highly ecommend this place if you are not in a rush and are eating when they are open.

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

A true Japanese restaurant, not those fake sushies (i.e.California roll!?) are served... The Food and the service are very good. Mostly Japanese people living in Istanbul prefer to come here, as they knew it better than the locals. We enjoyed having meal there. Thanks.

Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

This canteen style Japanese restaurant serves pub style Japanese food. The hot items are pretty good and I particularly enjoyed the agedashi tofu and tori Kara. However the sushi platter is not nice or fresh. The salmon sashimi was off and I spat it into my napkin. For £4 extra you can enjoy a sushi platter at Zuma so I felt rather short changed by the poor quality. The noodles were good and the curry udon soup was great.

The service however is depressing! You get a real impression the staff are just going through the motions and couldn’t care less about the food or the guests! There was also a disagreement with another guest staying in the hotel and the staff’s miss management of the situation created a horrible atmosphere in the dining room. Come on guys, smile and have some passion for what you do, this place could be great!