“advance arrangement”

Ranked #6,735 of 13,979 Restaurants in Istanbul
Neighbourhood: Beyoglu
Neighbourhood: Beyoglu
Reviewed 5 May 2015

A dinner in one of the meyhanes in the Nevizade area is part of every visit of mine in Istanbul. When alone or with my wife I usually go to either the 'Imroz' or the 'Boncuk' in the Nevizade street properly. Since they are very popular, it is not so easy to go there with a large group of friends.

For this I usually select a restaurant on the nearby Balikpazari Street with larger and usually less frequented places. One of these is the 'Degustasyon', which I tried recently again. As is so often the case, if one goes unprepared, I also had once a rather unpleasant experience here, when it had come to the bill.

So this time I passed two days before our planned visit to arrange everything - from menu to price. In this way it all turned out quite well. The table was set, the waiters quickly brought the meze-starters, on which we had agreed before. For main-course there was the choice between a lamb or chicken casserole or grilled sardines, which came fresh from the display in front.

The arrangements I had made before were with an elderly gentleman, who looked like the owner of the place and a waiter, whose sole job it is to persuade passersby into going into his restaurant. Part of the fixed price for the three-course-meal was a special price for any raki, wine or beer, but the waiters, who actually served us, were not informed about it. Nor did they know about the three main-courses that we could chose from. Everything was settled, when I called the owner. The soliciting waiter hardly knew me anymore that evening and didn't bother helping in any way.

The service in general by the two young, not very experienced waiters was quite clumsy, but everybody was quite happy with the food. Later there was live fasil-music and it turned out into a rather happy atmosphere, when a Turkish couple next to us started joining the four gypsies in their songs and one lady of our group began to dance.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 May 2015

They got us by promising us a patio table, which we got, but it was in a corner without any view. They have brought a wrong meal twice and the basket of bread was full of ants. The service did not apologize for any of that and was generally unpleasant. We also waited too long to pay. They charged us few extra things, such as water and bread, even though we did not touch it, and a service fee, even though the menu says it is included.

Reviewed 29 April 2015

The location of the restaurant is good, food is tasty and the staff is friendly. If you visiting that part of Istanbul, you can eat there, you will not regret. But on the other hand I think you can not miss if you choose any other of the neighboring restaurants.

Reviewed 17 September 2014

One thing we learned while dining out in Istanbul is know the price of every single thing you order! The biggest learning experience came at this restaurant. We looked at the menu and most things were very reasonable priced. One of the owners came by with a large platter of fresh fish. We ordered two medium size fish for 4 people. When the check came, we were shocked that they were trying to charge us close to $200 for the two fish!! We complained loudly. We were then taken to the main floor where the two owners tried to get us to pay the big, but we refused. It was a totally deceptive tactic on their part. We got very loud and made a scene and finally gave them the money we had in our pockets (about $130) and left. It left such a bitter taste in our mouth that they would try and take advantage of tourists in this manner. Evidently, from reading other reviews this isn't the first time they've done this. There are plenty of other restaurants surrounding this one. Do yourself a favor and keep walking. And most important of all, make sure you how much everything your'e ordering costs!

2  Thank John B
Reviewed 6 September 2014

Come here if you want to be ripped off.

After my visit locals told me that Degustasyon is a tourist trap - Avoid going there....
The service was below average, food was ok, but prices are too high :(
Have a look to the left, to the right or over the street

1  Thank S A