New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Way overpriced and just not at the level they pretend to be ! Forget it.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Istanbul

W Istanbul
Ranked #135 of 1,106 Hotels in Istanbul
Paris, France
“Way overpriced and just not at the level they pretend to be ! Forget it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Spent here a night during the week-end after couple of days at le Meridien Etiler, another hotel from the Starwood galaxy. What a disappointment, why did I do that ? I paid 100 EUR more and got far less than what I had. There is not a single positive point for W Hotel from an end to end experience perspective ! (As said in another comment, why on earth Le Meridien is SPG 5 and W Hotel is SPG 6, I just can't understand. This should definitely be the reverse)

The global "cool trendy chic" marketing positionning of the W hotels is fine, even if prices are high, as long as the whole customer experience is well managed and details are not forgotten. This is the least you can expect she paying 300+ EUR a room. And this is their weakness : they are just not at the level they pretend to be.

Few bullet points :
- Dark rooms
- Poor amenities (very strict minimum with shampoo/showergel/conditionner for such a category, I never saw that anywhere else),
- Furnitures not well maintained
- POOR breakfast and POOR service (I mean, I can compare with where I was the day before in Instanbul, it is literally day and night)
- No complimentary water in standard room (this is a joke, come on. At this price per night, not putting a 50 cts bottle of water is just a shame)
- "Whatener whenever" concept does not worth it if you have to call back 60 min after ordering a meal in your room (supposed to be there at max 30 min after ordering) and you're being told that you have to wait an additional 15 min. OK, I finally did not pay for it.
-...oh, and always surprised to see that, at check out, nobody is even asking you how was your stay. They don't understand anything in their business and just benefiting from the power of their brand. Disappointing!

I'm living 50m away from the new W in Paris, I'll go there to understand if there is a difference.

Blunt bottom line : forget about this hotel, out of the market.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ggpublic
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
ıstanbul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

The place where W İstanbul ıs called Akaretler,ın other words,government owned houses rented to government offıcers durıng Ottoman Perıod.
Now whıle stayıng at W İstanbul you can smell or taste the old days of that perıod.
Especıally ,The Caffe Nero at the ground flore of the same buıldıng,whıch was servıng as a prımary school where I had attended ın the years 1947 and 48 always makes me remember that perıod whıle enjoyıng my amerıcano...
Frıendly people wellcomıng you,front desk makes ready all and you relax wıth your wellcome coffe...
Most of ınterestıng places hıstory,dınıng,enjoyıng all are ın wolkıng dıstance.
I recomend you to stay and enjoy upon return recoment to your frıends...

Room Tip: Fourth foor I always prefer
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Trendy, yes, design is special, nice, warm, cozy, the room I stayed in was the Mega Room, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's much better to take the Spectacular room or the Fabulous room.
The Mega room is bigger, but is at the end of a very very long hall. So every time you go to your room you really walk a long time and the most annoying, the staff elevator is just there, so from 7am there is a lot of noise of clapping doors and elevators and stuff being brought back and forth.
And although being one of the more expensive rooms, I definitely would prefer the one with the terrace.
I did like the lighting! it was a bit complicated to control, but once you got it...nice. The bed is very good as most SPG hotels. I was a bit amazed that even a Mega Room didn't have a bath. there is room for it, I get it that in standard rooms you only put a shower, but here?
That would be a must for me. It is a bit strange to come in the door into your bathroom, but I an can see the smile on the interior designer's face when he pitched that idea to the client. It's a novelty, yes, but good "people centered" design...no!
Service...yes service is a special thing. Either you have it, or you don't. They don't know yet.
Our Airco was broken and I went at least 4 times to the front desk to ask to repair it...no such luck. it was either ice cold or hot warm whenever we came back from outside.
When I mentioned that at checkout, first the guy on duty didn't say much, except for a smudge. But the duty manager stepped in, asked what was the problem, and gave me his card that next time I would come I should let him know, and he would provide free upgrade to compensate. I also told him about the noise, and he was sympathetic about it.
But overall the staff is just not service orientated. For me that is a deeper problem that most of the time lies within the management of the hotel. If they don't install or nurture a philosophy of service mentality, then it will not come by itself. I have been 3 times at the W, mostly because of its location, but never saw an improvement. Maybe these reviews will help it !

Room Tip: don't take the Mega rooms at the end of the hallways...too noisy take the Spectacular room or t...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I'm a SPG, I stay every month in W hotels across the US for business (Seattle, Chicago, LA Hollywood, LA Westwood, Miami Beach...) and had to stay in W hotel in Istanbul for a personal trip. My overall experience was very disapointing and I would recommend any regular W hotel goer, NOT TO GO to the W Istanbul. Besides its very good location, the overall service standard is very poor:
- I had a problem with my booking which didn't work and I had to stay my first night in another Starwood hotel. The concierge didn't care, showed no empathy, offered no alternative option. He basically didn't do anything to help. He let me seat in the lobby without offering me any refreshment or service eventhough I was obviously coming a long way and tired.
- You meet staffs in corridor throughout the hotel, you never get a hello, never receive a smile, basically you don't feel welcomed at all.
- I went to the "spa" for a massage. The "spa" is this dark, old room, with damaged paint and minimum facility, no changing room, no shower....basically a gloomy closet.
- When you ask for direction in the hotel (the hotel is a maze), no staff ever knew what i was looking for was. The staffs have no idea of where amenities are located in the building.
- The so-called "Whenever, Whatever" was a joke. I asked for the host to get me some tickets for an event in town, he basically told me where i could go and buy those tickets and ignored me. Wasn't he the one supposed to go above and beyond and get those tickets himself, or send someone? I would have paid for that service.
- I paid for a suite which i thought would be a nice upgrade vs a traditional single king room. The room was dark as the building is a lowrise and there is no real bathroom! The bathroom basically is in your entry, in separate elements, which gives you no sense of privacy or cozyness whatsoever.

Overall, besides its great location, the W hotel isn't a place worth staying in. There are staffs who don't understand what to do, what their job is and what service means. It was a very poor experience and I will never go back there again.

Room Tip: Ask for Level 4 only.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Camille d
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

W hotels are not for everyone, and some are better than others. I have stayed in several and the W Istanbul was neither my favorite nor my least favorite. The design of the hotel is nice, very modern, set in an older building outside of the tourist area. The tram is a 15 minute walk and will take you right to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia. There is a nice grocery store about a block away, as well as a laundry place about another block up the same street (walk outside the hotel, go hard left, both will be on your right). I found the service a bit cool compared to the Westins and Le Meridiens I usually stay at, and even some Ws. The room we had was also a bit strange, as others have noted, with the shower and toilet directly off the room. It's hard to describe and I had never seen anything like it. Not terrible, but different. I would probably give my experience a 3+ if that existed; it was better than good, but overall not great. So let's call it Almost Very Good. I would stay here again, although now that there is a Le Meridien open in Istanbul, I would probably try that first. If you are a W fan, however, give this one a shot. As a final note, the on-site restaurant is quite good and fairly moderately priced... worth a meal.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple