See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This place is horrific - and please see my other reviews to know that I'm not a posh traveler that requires chocolates on my pillow and Egyptian sheets. Working for an airline, I've learned to roll with the punches, and have travelled most of the world staying in hostels and budget hotels. But this place is easily one of the worst hotel experiences I've had.

My travel companion and I arrived early afternoon on a weekday and were initially rather disturbed by the fact that we seemed to be the only people staying in the hotel. We didn't think much of it at first, as it was the tail end of the tourist season in Istanbul. We were led into an ancient cramped elevator, and made our way to the third floor. The hallway was poorly lit, the carpeting lumpy and detached from the floor, coming undone at the seams. We were shown to a room that was more impressive with the lights out - two uninviting beds with cheap blankets, a dresser that looked like it had been to hell and back, a television that was smaller than a laptop computer screen, and a small fridge that didn't work. The bathroom was even more unappealing.. it was small, cramped, with mold centimeters thick on the shower walls, with a door that didn't close and leaked water everywhere, and a vanity mirror with cracks in it.

Breakfast was absurd. Hard boiled eggs, stale bread, old mushy olives, unidentifiable processed meat and cheese slices, and sugary juice product. Not to mention, a waiter that didn't speak English and a head female server that barked at us angrily in Turkish and then turned off the lights when we were staying past the breakfast hours. Gross.

Finally, the creepiness factor was cemented with one of the employees there who, after taking an obvious liking to me, decided that it was acceptable to berate me every time I entered or left the hotel to sit and drink tea with him, and to ask where I was going and who I would be with. I even received a wake-up knock on my door at 9am, where he demanded to know where I was and if I would be coming to dinner from my travel companion (I was sitting in bed, aghast).

If it wasn't that this hotel was prepaid for with a travel company, I would have left after the first night. Be forewarned, this place is below even hostel standards, Steer clear!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lilith R
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed there one nite. The hotel is pretty worn out but relatively clean and relatively cheap. Did not eat there. Worst thing is the cleaning ladies which will wake you up as soon as they start the service, as the doors are thin and they are noisy. Staff not friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank bau
Reviewed 29 May 2013

THE GOOD: Sunbathing in Istanbul THE UGLY: Breakfast buffet made us ill

This hotel felt like it has pasted hands several times with each owner leaving a distintive range of nick naks, there was a range of Turkey, naval, Christmas, French, fish and mugs with dogs on them! The receptionist wasn't particularly helpful, giving no info on the facilities or that breakfast was included. My partner found out that this was included from the website. I wish that he hadn't as we both fell ill straight after breakfast, with mine carrying on for two days. We booked a double but ended up with two singles, small room but comfortable and clean, no frills. The walls are very thin, evidently our neighbour had also had a the breakfast to. We booked this for the roof terrace pool to catch one more day of sun before heading back home, in a location near to the city centre. It served perfectly fine for this, but to set expectations the pool is a enlarged paddling pool raised off the ground. I'd rather pay a little bit more for a pool elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Eyfel for one night before my flight home. Needless, to say I stayed only about 8 hours before my connecting flight in the morning. To start, the room was small and it was not the single double bed I reserved online through booking.com. I believe I would have nothing negative to say but, this was enough to completely make me dislike the place. It seems it's to hard to get what you pay for without having to complain about it; and after a long flight I was not in the mood. So, I tried to make do with the two mini beds but, to no avail it was impossible for me to sleep well in a bed that you could roll off of if you were to turn over.
Otherwise, the room and bath seemed clean. The heater unit worked well. The window (opens wide) overlooked the street and the Crowne Plaza. I can not speak for the other amenities (restaurant, bar, etc) except that the free wifi was terrible, I could not keep a signal even on my cell phone. The front desk can speak English but, what's the use if they don't really have the experience of great customer service like a 5 star hotel. I had an issue with a sedan service and they could not take it upon themselves to get some answers for me by calling that company. He kept asking me what could he do for me and I didn't want to explain to him what a concierge would do. Nonetheless, a bare bones accommodation with a few nice extras, even 2 elevators that could fit about 2 people maximum each (you could mistake it for a closet).
It is close to the tram and not expensive by taxi to the airport. I had reserved a private shuttle and they did not show. The desk guy was competent enough to call a replacement taxi and got me a great driver. At 4 am the roads are clear and the driver did not hesitate to get me to the airport quickly. I left early and I did not even get to have the free breakfast. I have no great stories about the staff making something for me to go, or offered a snack instead, or gave me a discount, or anything- I just got that stupid look. All in all, just a stopover hotel at a stopover rate. So, if you want a place that's a cut above a hostel, and that has a few nice perks and advantages-this is your place. If you can afford a few more bucks, you'll probably thank yourself for having far less headaches in this big city.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AVSENT
Reviewed 26 November 2012

The hotel is kind of old, and not recently renovated. The furniture in our room was very modest, I could even say very limited. But the beds were confortable and the room was clean and quite.
All rooms have air-conditioning.
The location is awesome, just one minute walk from the tram station Laleli. It's just a few stops from Hagia Sophia.
The breakfast wasn't the greatest, but it was good and sufficient enough for the price ans stars of the hotel. The breakfats consisted of cold cuts, white cheese, few types of olives, breads, juices, some soups and some sweet goodies.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple