“Good but with some glitches”

Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah
Ranked #65 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Paris, France
“Good but with some glitches”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at Pera Palace for several days before and after the Orthodox Easter (April 15 this year), got a room on the top floor, which from otside looks like a mansard, though it does not actually feel like one when inside and even has a balcony. The room was clean and cosy, but probably would be a bit too small for 2 persons, especially the bathroom, which from the standpoint of ergonomics was rather uncomfortably designed. Another grouse is a fairly limited selection of English-language TV channels, not even the CNN.

Otherwise, the hotel is quite good and very conveniently located in the heart Pera -- if one is in town to enjoy the night life, or to visit some consulates on nearby Istiklal street, the cab station is right round the corner too. If one seeks a quite locale -- then this is definitely not the first port of call.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed in the Pera Palace during the Catholic Easter holidays. We had a very nice time in Istanbul and in the hotel despite some small hitches.

First, the pluses. This historic hotel has undergone a great restoration and breathes olde worlde athmosphere and charm. Lobby is great with little nooks with seats. Tea served in the afternoon is great. The drinks are good and the bar also has this olde worlde thing. Their breakfast is really great. Rooms are decent, clean and comfy. Bathrooms are pretty with a smallish but comfy tub. The hotel has an Ok fit center and a nice hammam and relax area. They have perfect concierge people.

However, the reception staff lacks behind. When I was booking, I was drawn by the picture of the deluxe (=basic) room balcony overlooking the Golden Horn. I asked for my two rooms to be on the highest floor with a balcony. I also asked to have tea and coffee facilities in the room. I informed them that these were my conditions for booking. The answer was - yes, of course, we'll do our best. Well, it seems that their best was to "accommodate" these request as available at the moment of checking-in! If I had known that, I would have booked a different hotel. So they'll promise anything when booking without regard to what is actually possible. Later I found out that the photos are actually from a suite, not from a room at all, and the big premium you're paying is for a view of a small sliver of water but mainly of a four-way motorway and a football stadium. Well, at least we were not staring into a wall for 250€... And they had the chucpe to offer me an upgrade "only" for 100€ per night, if I wanted to have the room I actually wanted to book in the first place.

The other unpleasant thing was that the drains in the bathroom smelled badly. They have a separate drain for the tub and for the water that splashes out of the tub. But evidently the cleaning ladies do not pour enough water into the second one, maybe they wash the shower walls only once per stay, so every time I got into the tub / shower, there was this smell of unused drain. Of course it helped to pour some water out, but it should not be the guest doing it.

The third little unpleasant surprise was the price of drinks in this place. Not quite the remortgage level, but surprisingly hefty compared to the area and Istanbul in general. Well, it didn't keep us from ordering them...

Just keep these things in mind when you're booking and you won't feel such discrepancy between the price and the value as I did.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank sasicka
London
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Frankly, you can do a lot better in Istanbul for a lot less money. The recent restoration of the hotel appears to have removed much of the charm it may once have had, and the hotel chain that manages it has removed the remainder. I only stayed here because my employers had booked it. No way would I spend my own money here unless forced to. The rooms are fine, but bland. The public areas are quite dramatic, but lacking any atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank RAWELondon
New York City
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I went on the web site and they quoted the price of 155 euros per night. I then made a reservation for 2 rooms at the Pera Palace by calling the hotel directly. They said over the phone i had a reservation, but i had to call 4 times before they finally sent me a confirmation in writing for 310 euros for a date 1 year after the original date. I figured the date was a typo. After staying for 4 nights, they gave me a bill for 310 euros per night...per room double the web site price. Of course they then converted the bill into lira. The conversion rate was over the market. I was ripped off for $1700+.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank John R
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Pera Palace for 6 days with our toddler. We had a elegant room with a balcony, on which we had breakfast every morning (from Bilice Karafarini up the street - great breakfast pastries and omelettes).

The staff was incredibly friendly and very helpful with our son, even carrying him in from the the taxi in his carseat, ensuring they set up his cot in time for bedtime, and that we had a room with a tub for his baths.
We found Istanbul to be incredibly child friendly, and the staff at the Pera Palace was no exception.

The staff provided us with a tour of Ataturk's room. Our guide was a hotel trainee and I think she studied her history extra hard. I don't know if this is the norm, but it was a very nice touch and added a personal aspect to the history of the hotel and of Turkey as a country.

We were very happy with our stay and will be staying at the Pera Palace again in June.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family