Esans Hotel
Hotel Sebnem(Istanbul)
Hanedan Hotel(Istanbul)
Konya Pension(Istanbul)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstopkapi palaceold cityblue mosquerooftop terraceno elevatorturkeyperfect locationthird floorwithin walking distancetop flooreach morningmain attractionshotel is locatedquiet streetbreakfast was deliciousstayed for nightssultanahmet district
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This small hotel of 8 rooms made use of its boutique status to give guests a truly warm and personalised experience that has for us been unmatched. My husband and I travel a lot and we have never met a more sincere hospitality staff. The staff were not at all the tips-seeking variety that we usually meet. Every exchange with them felt sincere.

The hotel goes all out to give rooms a personal touch. The decor was tastefully done and impressed us immediately. The moment I entered the room, I could almost feel the person who had done up the room. There were delicate details like the arrangement of towels on the beds. Breakfasts also had a homemade quality to them.

I believe there exists a good relationship between the staff and the hotel owners (whom we did see quite often during our 4 night stay). We went there in spring when most hotels have switched off the central air-conditioning. However, it was warm on the first night. It is not so comfortable leaving the windows open as there are sudden loud noises from passing traffic (not much traffic on the small lane, but enough to be disruptive) in the middle of the night.

The next day, we asked if the air-conditioning could be turned on, and the staff promised confidently that he'd make a request to management. For that one night, we had air-con! (The system was switched back to heating when the temperature took a drastic fall the next two days.) I truly appreciate this gesture to be flexible and accommodating -- something you will not find in the big hotels.

As we were travelling with my 1.5 year old toddler, we spent a lot of time in the hotel (afternoons for her naptime, and early evenings back). My daughter absolutely loved her experience and didn't want to go home. The common area was small, but homely, and completely satisfactory to my toddler. The staff played with my daughter everyday and entertained her with the little hotel bird.

During our stay, we had to make a trip to a very local area as we were buying a double buggy that wasn't displayed in most shops. Cengiz Demirli, the owner (with his father), was at the reception in the afternoons and he made phonecalls to make arrangements for us to view the buggy. He even got us a discount over the phone. When we were at the shop itself and had trouble with credit card payment and the shopowners could not understand English, Cengiz was so helpful when we called him to mediate the situation. He was also present to assist us during the delivery and setup of the buggy to the hotel the next afternoon.

We have many other lovely experiences during our rather intensive 4-afternoon-and-night stay that only you can appreciate if you were there. (=

Highly highly highly recommended. The hospitality and accommodation was THE holiday itself for us. It left us feeling so good about the people of Istanbul.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank WeilingGaby
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We just spent a week at the Esans hotel. The location is ideal: close to the main sites and at the same time on a very quiet street. It is a small hotel, looking very simple from outside; very clean, nice terasse on the roof, good breakfast with a fresh squeezed orange juice every morning. Engin and the staff have been exceptional, always full of attention and ready to help.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My family and I loved our stay at Esans Hotel; it definitely made our visit to Istanbul memorable. The location of the hotel is fantastic - just a three minute walk to Topkapi Palace and a five minute walk to the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia, as well as the nearest tram stop. Even if the hotel was lacking it's fantastic location, I would still be giving it 5 stars for 1. it's super, super, super helpful staff (especially Engin!!!) 2. its tasteful decor 3. how clean it is!! 4. its delicious morning breakfast, which is buffet-style and which features a bunch of mezze and other dishes and which is really more than a buffet; you're served a glass of fresh-squeezed OJ at breakfast and are also offered an omelet if the egg dish has run low! Really what makes this hotel so special is its staff who go out of their way to help give you directions, book tours and tickets for you, recommend Turkish baths or Bosphorus cruises, etc. This is the best small hotel I've ever stayed at and would not recommend that anyone stay anywhere else during their visit to Istanbul!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Great location. Situated in the Sultanahmet district which is the heart of historic Old Istanbul. All the major tourist desinations are just a short walk away. We covered all the places mostly walking as the location of hotel was really convenient. It is at a walking distance to one of the quite and peaceful shores of bosphorus sea. Just the next lane to the back side of the hotel is a street full of eating joints. Nice rooms, furnished and decorated in traditional Ottomanian style. Hotel staff is very helpful and courteous. They are ready to help you with every small thing. Because of our hectic travel plans, we slept a bit longer and got late for the breakfast next day. They still waited for us and did not stop the breakfast buffet that they have with the room package.

The only small issue is the noise that comes from the street. The rooms here are not sound proof, so you get a lot of noise from the streets. This also is not a major one, as if you are touring throughout the day and get tired, you are just fast asleep at night. Overall a very nice stay :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here for five nights in early March and had a wonderful experience. We decided on the hotel based on previous TripAdvisor reviews and weren't disappointed. The place is quaint and quiet, on a side street a short walk from the main touristy area of Sultanahmet. More than that, it's a 10-minute walk from Aya Sofia and the Blue Mosque - two stunning buildings a short walk away. The terrace is lovely, though it was too chilly to linger too long. You can see the Marmara on one side and Aya Sofia on the other. Topkapi Palace is an even shorter walk away. The tram to get to other parts of the city is a bit longer walk - maybe 15 mins, longer if you're a slower walker. The room was very nice - comfortable, nicely decorated, comfy bed, enough space, and a good view. Free wifi was much appreciated. Breakfast was great - lovely cheeses, breads, and veggies - though it doesn't change much day to day. Most of all, the staff are amazing. Each one is great in their own way, from Maher to Engin and Cinzag. Terrific guys who help you with anything, from ordering an in-room late night kebap to suggesting which Bosphorus cruise to take. Can't recommend them highly enough. Especially since I left my debit card in my room safe and they speedily mailed it to me in a handwritten envelope. Can't wait to return to Istanbul!

Room Tip: We didn't get one, but there are rooms bigger than ours with direct sea views, so you may want to ask for one of those.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple