“Turkish bath for couples”
Review of Suleymaniye Hamami

Suleymaniye Hamami
Ranked #8 of 223 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Suleymaniye Hamam is a traditional Turkish bath that continues to operate today. The building, commissioned by Sultan Suleyman and designed by the Turkish architect Mimar Sinan, was built in 1557. It features dramatic archways and domes and is decorated with elaborate marble inlay. It is the only hamam in Istanbul where men and women bathe together. 40 Euro per person.The entire hamam experience will last between 60-90 minutes.
Reviewed 9 July 2016

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only Turkish bath that allows couples. It is the only bath I visited, so my opinion is based on limited experience. It is a beautiful, historic Hamam which added to our experience. We had been warned that some of the old hamam's were in disrepair but Suleymaniye was in good shape. The staff was very nice. We went first thing in the morning and were the only people there (tourism is way down in 2016). Suleymaniye Hamam was much cheaper than many others - particularly in the historic area. We would recommend this Hamam.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"sultan"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 4 July 2016

We were recommended this hammam by our hotel concierge as they did couples hammam. Most hammams in Istanbul have set times for men and women. We arrived and were given very clear instructions on how the hammam process worked. A locker is given and you wear the key on your wrist throughout the massage/scrubbing. The room is very hot where you are left to sweat, we had to leave the room a couple of times as it got so hot! The scrubbing/massage part was quite tame to what I've had before, but the male masseuse was very professional. The 'massaging' part was too fast and more of rough rub than anything. You can stay in the hot room after your treatment and then you're taken back to your locker/change room. It was a nice experience and fine for a couple which is what we wanted, but I probably wouldn't recommend or come back to this particular hammam again.

1  Thank Loodyk
Reviewed 1 July 2016

wow what a stunning atmosphere absolutely peaceful and relaxing...loved the culture.. have recommended this to all my friends! xx

Reviewed 22 June 2016

My greatest concern was tipping. Coming from a non tipping culture, I was concerned about the long line of people expecting a tip at the end of the bath but not here.
At the end of the bath, if you wish to put some money in the tip box, it is up to you. (I was happy to).
I have to warn you that it is hot, seriously hot. We sweated for approx 30 mins on the hot table. There are taps everywhere and if you let them run long enough, cold water will come out. The scrub and massage were good, lengthy and certainly not painful. After we got out, they could have charged us a fortune for the cold freshly squeezed orange juice but it was a reasonably 6 TL.
It was an amazing and unforgettable experience.
PS It is after the bath that you feel amazing.

1  Thank Desiree H