“A nice experience, but nothing to write home about.”
Review of Suleymaniye Hamami

Suleymaniye Hamami
Ranked #4 of 134 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Suleymaniye Hamam is a traditional Turkish bath that continues to operate today. The building, commissioned by Sultan Suleyman and designed by the Turkish architect Mimar Sinan, was built in 1557. It features dramatic archways and domes and is decorated with elaborate marble inlay. It is the only hamam in Istanbul where men and women bathe together. 40 Euro per person.The entire hamam experience will last between 60-90 minutes.
Reviewed 4 July 2016

We were recommended this hammam by our hotel concierge as they did couples hammam. Most hammams in Istanbul have set times for men and women. We arrived and were given very clear instructions on how the hammam process worked. A locker is given and you wear the key on your wrist throughout the massage/scrubbing. The room is very hot where you are left to sweat, we had to leave the room a couple of times as it got so hot! The scrubbing/massage part was quite tame to what I've had before, but the male masseuse was very professional. The 'massaging' part was too fast and more of rough rub than anything. You can stay in the hot room after your treatment and then you're taken back to your locker/change room. It was a nice experience and fine for a couple which is what we wanted, but I probably wouldn't recommend or come back to this particular hammam again.

1  Thank Loodyk
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Suleymaniye Hamami

Reviewed 1 July 2016

wow what a stunning atmosphere absolutely peaceful and relaxing...loved the culture.. have recommended this to all my friends! xx

Reviewed 22 June 2016

My greatest concern was tipping. Coming from a non tipping culture, I was concerned about the long line of people expecting a tip at the end of the bath but not here.
At the end of the bath, if you wish to put some money in the tip box, it is up to you. (I was happy to).
I have to warn you that it is hot, seriously hot. We sweated for approx 30 mins on the hot table. There are taps everywhere and if you let them run long enough, cold water will come out. The scrub and massage were good, lengthy and certainly not painful. After we got out, they could have charged us a fortune for the cold freshly squeezed orange juice but it was a reasonably 6 TL.
It was an amazing and unforgettable experience.
PS It is after the bath that you feel amazing.

Reviewed 7 June 2016

My boyfriend and I chose the Suleymaniye Hamam because they are mixed (i.e. we could go together). The building is magnificent, like the mosque beside it, and it so great to think that sultans came here to bath...
The experience starts by an explanation of what to expect, then 20ish minutes in the hamam followed by a peeling and a soap massage. The masseurs are all men. The foam massage is such a weird but enjoyable experience! To finish, we rinsed ourselves, got dried and enjoyed a Turkish tea in the rest area. Definitely would do it again, and highly recommend it!

Reviewed 4 June 2016

This is the only co-ed haman in the city. As this was a first haman experience for us, we decided to do this as opposed to one that has separate hours for men and women. This was amazing and I wished we had had enough time to go again before leaving the city. We went around noon on a weekday and we were the only ones there. The day before, we made an online reservation. When we got there, they were expecting us, although there email confirmation didn't reach us until two days after we were there! Go for the entire experience, yes it is a bit more but really, how often will you get to go to an authentic, 500-year old Turkish bath??!!! The lobby is beautiful, your changing room is secure. You can take photos in the lobby and the cooling room, but not inside the bath itself. The humidity would ruin your camera. Staff was fun and helpful. We both took a bottle of water inside with us, and we were very glad we did. Our bottled water was ice cold going in, it was like bath water when we came out. Inside the bath area, it is as hot as a sauna. We spent 20 minutes pouring warm water over our heads to soften our skin, then we each had a person come to bathe, scrub and massage us. I speak no Turkish and my person spoke no English, but we managed to communicate easily with hand signals. He poured water over my face to rinse, but I wanted no more of that. He placed one hand at my forehead to keep the water from going down over my face. They also washed our hair. My husband was OK with this, but I loved it. My hair has never been so soft! It was wonderful. I don't know if it was the water or the shampoo he used, but it was wonderful. The entire experience takes about 90 minutes. We spent about 20 additional minutes in the cooling room, trying to get back our breath and strength. A delightful experience but it does kind of knock the stuffing out of you. A must!

1  Thank 1AnnieEliza