“An amazing experience for couples, worthy of a sultan, plus NO forced tipping”
Review of Suleymaniye Hamami

Suleymaniye Hamami
Ranked #5 of 135 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Suleymaniye Hamam is a traditional Turkish bath that continues to operate today. The building, commissioned by Sultan Suleyman and designed by the Turkish architect Mimar Sinan, was built in 1557. It features dramatic archways and domes and is decorated with elaborate marble inlay. It is the only hamam in Istanbul where men and women bathe together. 40 Euro per person.The entire hamam experience will last between 60-90 minutes.
Reviewed 22 June 2016

My greatest concern was tipping. Coming from a non tipping culture, I was concerned about the long line of people expecting a tip at the end of the bath but not here.
At the end of the bath, if you wish to put some money in the tip box, it is up to you. (I was happy to).
I have to warn you that it is hot, seriously hot. We sweated for approx 30 mins on the hot table. There are taps everywhere and if you let them run long enough, cold water will come out. The scrub and massage were good, lengthy and certainly not painful. After we got out, they could have charged us a fortune for the cold freshly squeezed orange juice but it was a reasonably 6 TL.
It was an amazing and unforgettable experience.
PS It is after the bath that you feel amazing.

1  Thank Desiree H

Reviewed 7 June 2016

My boyfriend and I chose the Suleymaniye Hamam because they are mixed (i.e. we could go together). The building is magnificent, like the mosque beside it, and it so great to think that sultans came here to bath...
The experience starts by an explanation of what to expect, then 20ish minutes in the hamam followed by a peeling and a soap massage. The masseurs are all men. The foam massage is such a weird but enjoyable experience! To finish, we rinsed ourselves, got dried and enjoyed a Turkish tea in the rest area. Definitely would do it again, and highly recommend it!

Reviewed 4 June 2016

This is the only co-ed haman in the city. As this was a first haman experience for us, we decided to do this as opposed to one that has separate hours for men and women. This was amazing and I wished we had had enough time to go again before leaving the city. We went around noon on a weekday and we were the only ones there. The day before, we made an online reservation. When we got there, they were expecting us, although there email confirmation didn't reach us until two days after we were there! Go for the entire experience, yes it is a bit more but really, how often will you get to go to an authentic, 500-year old Turkish bath??!!! The lobby is beautiful, your changing room is secure. You can take photos in the lobby and the cooling room, but not inside the bath itself. The humidity would ruin your camera. Staff was fun and helpful. We both took a bottle of water inside with us, and we were very glad we did. Our bottled water was ice cold going in, it was like bath water when we came out. Inside the bath area, it is as hot as a sauna. We spent 20 minutes pouring warm water over our heads to soften our skin, then we each had a person come to bathe, scrub and massage us. I speak no Turkish and my person spoke no English, but we managed to communicate easily with hand signals. He poured water over my face to rinse, but I wanted no more of that. He placed one hand at my forehead to keep the water from going down over my face. They also washed our hair. My husband was OK with this, but I loved it. My hair has never been so soft! It was wonderful. I don't know if it was the water or the shampoo he used, but it was wonderful. The entire experience takes about 90 minutes. We spent about 20 additional minutes in the cooling room, trying to get back our breath and strength. A delightful experience but it does kind of knock the stuffing out of you. A must!

1  Thank 1AnnieEliza
Reviewed 22 May 2016

A fantastic experience for all kind of persons. Since the moment you cross the door you know you will have a great time. The building is old but in great shape and very clear. It has folklor decoration and the reception is very good. The best thing though is the hamam and ofcourse the masssage. It is one of the things you will remember leaving the city.

Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

We happened upon this Haman quite by accident when circumnavigating the Mosque next door. It clearly explained on the board in the entrance what was included, how much and who could come in - no single men or women, couples / families only. That made us feel comfortable enough to try it out. It is all very respectful and private. No inappropriate looks/touches or conversation. Very clean too. As a woman you are given shorts and a bikini top to wear (I'd brought my own and they were happy for me to wear it). My husband just wore a towel that they provided. We put our shoes in a small locker and were shown to a changing room were we left our belongings - locked and the key on our wrist. We were shown the WC and where the entrance was to the sauna and left around twenty to forty minutes to sweat out our toxins. When it became too hot we moved into a slightly cooler room and then the Masseurs (both men) lead us to an area on the edge of the hot room for a "peel" (rubbing us down with a loofa glove and rinsing us off with cool water whilst we sat on the floor). Next they lay us face down on a raised, marble platform and hot soaped us and then massaged us. My back clicked in three places, as did both shoulders making me feel so much better than when I went in! We were turned over and massaged again. They never went higher than mid thigh or near my chest so I was completely comfortable. We sat on the floor again and were rinsed again. Our hair was shampooed and rinsed and then we were finished! It was all done fast and thoroughly - not too firmly but enough to make me feel slightly out of it but in a good way. We were then lead to the cooler room. I was shown a private room were I could change out of my bikini and was given a plastic bag to put it in and a towel to wrap myself in. When I came out of the room they wrapped another around my shoulders and flapped it slighty which was beautifully cooling and put a smaller one around my head. Then we were moved to another room were we relaxed with a drink. When we'd finished our drinks we went back to our belongings to change. They provide hairdryers if you need them and lotions etc. We could have stayed for tea but we were ready to continue on our exploration of Istanbul - relaxed and revitalised!
I hadn't known what to expect and was nervous but they treated us with such kindness and respect that we didn't feel uncomfortable at any point.
I couldn't recommend this Haman highly enough!

Tip... Go between 10 am and 3pm it's their quietest period.

1  Thank Animale_7