“Fabulous authentic experience!”
Review of Turkish Flavours

Turkish Flavours
More attraction details
Owner description: Turkish Flavours organizes culinary walks and cooking classes in Istanbul. We take visitors to a real Turkish Home on the lesser visited Asian side of Istanbul for our cooking classes. Our food walks are designed to stroll through local food markets and streets of Istanbul including stops for tastings of Turkish delicacies.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fabulous authentic experience!”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I travelled in a group of 6 and booked a last minute class with Selin. She was super responsive and accommodating to our requests (we had a vegetarian and also had fallen in love with a particular turkish dish). The class was conducted in her beautiful home -- plenty of work space and easy to follow instructions. One stove, but we all took turns and there was plenty of food prep to go around. In the end, we sat down to a scrumptious meal. Things to note - whole class and dinner took about 4 hours. There is also a very friendly and energetic dog (Yo-Yo), who is an apt assistant. Overall, wonderful experience if you have some extra time on your hands!

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Giulianna R
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Polish first
Neuchatel, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“The flavor of Istanbul: a day of culinary discovery with Selin !”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

If Baghdad was the gastronomic "nombril de l'univers" under the Abbasid Caliphate (750-1517 CE), Istanbul is today the culinary bridge between Europe and Asia, bringing together ingredients, culinary traditions and techniques from all Turkish regions as well as from Greece, Armenia, Iraq, Iran, the Caucasus, etc.
We were interested in discovering what chef Musa Dağdeviren of Çiya Sofrasi describes as « food of real people », as opposed to the widely praised Ottoman palace-style cuisine. Only thanks to Istanbuli culinary expert Selin Rozanes and her in-depth knowledge of the Istanbul food scene we could discover in one day the richness of forgotten foods and ingredients in the Kadikoy market and at Çiya. One day is by no means enough to explore the diversity of Turkish cuisine in Istanbul, but Selin will bring you to every corner and market stand, starting in the late morning with a taste of olives, chees, shrimps, freshly-squeezed pomegranate…and spices. The tour starts at Mısır Çarşısı (Egyptian Bazaar) Stand N. 51 (see http://www.ucuzcular.com.tr/index_eng.html) where you will meet graceful and English-speaking Bilge, owner of the Ucuzcular Baharat spice shop. She will walk you through the world of spices, food essences, oils and perfumes.
At 1 :00 pm we took the ferry for Kadıköy, on the Asian side of the city, that was already a popular market for agricultural goods in the Ottoman period. Selin made us taste a variety of Turkish regional ingredients, street food (e.g., pide, fried mussels), pickles, red pepper paste, pure pomegranate molasse, candied baby eggplants, etc., which was an excellent preparation to the lunch at the Çiya Sofrasi restaurant, serving traditional dishes from South East Anatolia (http://www.ciya.com.tr/index_en.php; also see http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/04/19/100419fa_fact_batuman; and http://eatingasia.typepad.com/eatingasia/2009/11/worlds-of-flavor-2009-chef-musa-dagdeviren.html). Chef Musa Dağdeviren of Gaziantep prepares more than a 1'000 dishes every year, that is, every single day you will enjoy a different menu of more than 20 delicious dishes that originate from Musa’s research on regional cuisine. No « fusion » cooking here, Musa finds the inspiration and recipes in farming villages and old books. This is authentic Turkish cuisine, beyond Slow Food!
We particularly liked Musa’s philosophy : "I travel all over the country to cook with people in their homes and also study old books to find new leads. I get very excited when I discover new poor people's dishes, because I believe only poor people can create great food. If a man has money, he can buy anything, but a person who has nothing must create beauty from within." (source : http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/master-chef-of-turkey).

We are very grateful to culinary expert Selin for being our food companion throughout this unforgettable day of Turkish cuisine discovery.

Elinize Sağlık to Selin and the Turkish Chefs !

Visited February 2012
2 Thank ViaggioLento58
york
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We had a lovely time on this tour. We tried so many different types of food on the one day spice market tour that I lost count - and then we had lunch! Come hungry and don't make dinner plans that night.

I only wish we could have done this earlier in our trip so that we could have some of the foods we tried again.

Visited January 2012
Munich, Germany
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Enjoyable experience, a unique way to discover Turkey”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My friends and I participated in Selin's Turkish Flavours cooking class. We had a good time, learned how to make some new dishes and about typical Turkish spices.

I noticed some reviews that said this was the best thing to do in Istanbul. I would not rank this quite that high, there are wonderful things to see, do and experience in Istanbul. But, if you have the time, I would highly recommend the cooking course.

Sellin and assistance are very well organized and the menu well planned. We began by meeting and talking with everyone in the cooking course. Them moved over the the kitchen where everyone has their own cutting board and began receiving instructions. As we worked, Sellin explained the spices and information about traditional Turkish food. She was very good at making sure everyone had a chance to add and mix different recipes and we all had the opportunity to slice, dice and wrap some of our own items. Everyone in our group worked comfortably together and had fun. But, be aware that Sellin will let you know when you are not doing something right. So if you want to be pampered and handled with a delicate touch, you may not enjoy the class as much. My friends and I joked about this afterwards, but it didn't effect our enjoyment of the course. After cooking all our food we all set at a large dining table and enjoyed wine, our cooked meals and some great conversations with people from around the world.

Visited November 2011
Lagos, Nigeria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Absolutely Fabulous”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My friend and I attended Selin's Turkish Flavours cooking class, and had a wonderful time. I have celiac disease, and we let Selin know ahead of time about my gluten issues, and she was very helpful. We enjoyed all the tips she gave us on how to prepare the food and what spices worked best. It was a very relaxed environment, but so fun to get eat the fruits of our labors at the end. I would highly recommend this class.

Visited January 2012