Great Southern Hotel (GSH) Colombo
Great 4.5/5
Confifi Marina(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgalle roadpunjab grillroadside roomfront desk attendantmain roadquick stopovermoney exchangewalking distance to the beachsri lankaconvenient placetuk tukclean roomsthree wheelerstayed for nightsrecommend this hotelnice bathroomhotel is great
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Family of 3 adults and 1 child stayed for the night as our inbound flight landed late.
Not too far from the airport. Neat and clean rooms. Very big and spacious too. The breakfast spread was also quite decent. Right outside the hotel are various shops to pick up any essential supplies.

The only negatives are lighting in the room could have been better. A tad too dark. And no proper area in front of the hotel for cars to stop. My cab had to double park and stop, while i got my bags out in a hurry.

Overall a decent experience and recommend for an overnight stay.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2018

i booked 2 rooms. the rooms are small and toilets are even smaller. the rooms are cleaned. After check in this place you have to carry your own luggage to the room. for me staff was nice. as the hotel is next to a big road ...it gets noisy early in the mornoing.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

We just spent 2 nights at GSH and, although it is a bit out of the downtown area (approx 7-8 km or LKR550 tuk tuk or Uber ride), we enjoyed our stay and found our room spacious, clean and comfortable. We were in room 501, facing the main street, but with the double windows, we could not hear the trafic outside.
Internet was not great and it kept going on & off. Upon check out we asked to store our 2 luggage for a few days and we were given a receipt for them (not always the case wgen traveling in India or Sri Lanka) and the bags were properly stored in a locked area.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2018

This is a 2 star hotel and was our worst pick. Even though it is reasonably priced, its not worth the headache. The team is very rude, ready to fight all the time, disrespectful and terribly trained. We hated going back to the hotel because the staff was capable of picking a fight on any issue and staying at this hotel was becoming a nightmare for us. Here is a more detailed account
Staff: I think the most rude , rowdy bunch of people work at this hotel. The staff is self-obsessed, arrogant, unruly and ill-mannered. They have no fear of being reprimanded by the higher ups or by the GSH senior leaders at Australia. They don’t like getting feedbacks and feel the need to defend themselves rather aggressively. The staff at the front desk misbehaved with me, when I told him that I will not accept such unruly and insulting behavior and will complain to the GSH Australia, his response was please go ahead. It was only when my husband intervened, asked for a feedback form and contact of their Australian office that he suddenly changed his stance and said- ‘I was joking with Maam’. This happened on the day we checked in but we didn’t see him for the next 3 days. The staff is inconsistent in their response- one day they said we don’t have blankets and on the second day, they gave us four blankets when we requested from a different room.
Location: The location is away from the main areas but uber is easily available so from a location perspective, we didn’t see much of a challenge.
Property: The property is very basic room with AC accommodation. Rooms are good for twin occupancy. We had initially taken a triple occupancy room and they very smartly put a bed in a twin room to accommodate us. We were so uncomfortable in that room that we booked another room for the next 2 days of our stay there. Balconies have pigeon poop all over and very badly maintained. The property isnot well equipped.
Aircon: I am including this section because Colombo is a rather hot city even in December/January. AC in one of the rooms (202) was not working but the staff wanted us to manage without one. They said they do not have another room available and they cannot do anything else. Finally, when we pursued them for almost an hour and the front desk staff misbehaved with a lady in the group which we escalated, they suddenly found another room for us and moved us there.
Restaurant: The food is inconsistent. For some meals, they served us excellent food but on other days, they not only served us wrong dishes, when we pointed this out to them, they argued aggressively and attempted defending themselves. The restaurant manager loves to argue like his friends from the reception and blasted us for pointing out the fact that his staff didn’t remove the left overs from our room for 24 hours. His response was that ‘it is your fault and if you don’t keep left overs in the 1.5*1.5 alley (and get hurt because there wont be any space to walk), staff will not remove it. The funny thing is their staff cleaned our room but left the stuff in the room and didn’t even care to move it out.

Totally avoidable!!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank aanchal29
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

I had an issue where I booked and paid 1 hour prior as I had mixed up my flight times. Didn’t occupy either. They refused to refund even partially. I was asked to call the manager, called him 11 times never picked up. Nor was the call returned.

AC was not working and was fixed later.
Will never go there again

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo