“money orientated managment”

Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
Melbourne, Australia
“money orientated managment”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Wait for the bad news. Firstly the housekeeping staff and the doormen were excellent as is always the case with these types of places. But! My niece who lives in Sri Lanka booked this hotel for us over the phone. It was a five night booking for two double rooms, we were four adults in our sixties. The pool was one of the reasons for choosing this hotel, (hot climate) plus it's proximity to the city as we were there for my niece's wedding. They did not inform her that the pool had been totally removed and the sign on the reception desk laughingly states "Being renovated". They not only would not take a booking without a credit card, my niece had to supply her card number till we got there, then they insisted that the five day booking be paid for 'in full' as soon as we walked into the hotel. We had just spent forty days touring Europe by car, staying at three and a half and four star hotels every night and not only had we never been asked to pay up front, some hotels didn’t even ask for a card or deposit on arrival nor during our stay and we paid on our departure. Could you imagine four sixty year olds doing a 'runner'. The hotel is being extended, but the work goes on twenty four hours, seven days a week, so if you like to be woken up in the middle of the night, book now! They openly told us if we did not pay up front for breakfast, which was very expensive for Sri Lanka, it would be double the price, that’s right, double, if we showed up for breakfast and wanted it charged to our room. My wife was not well when we arrived and they were aware of it, as she had a massive migraine attack while we were checking in. Due to her condition, we informed them on the fourth day, that we would be leaving a day earlier because her condition was worsening and they replied that’s fine, but there will be no credit for the unused day (for both rooms) as the hotel was at 95% capacity and did not give refunds. I told him that was a pathetic response and in fact the perfect reason to give a refund in these exceptional medical circumstances. As we were checking out they gave as an account for extras, when we inquired as to what the extras were they told us that there was a rate rise during our stay and that we owed them more money. Well! I can assure you that after a few very heated words they understood that there was going to be no more money paid to them. I am now watching my credit card to insure they do not charge us after our departure. As a last laugh, the day prior to our departure as we were walking out of the hotel to go to lunch, we overheard a very angry man at reception asking why he had booked three rooms and they could only give him one for that night and he had to go find two rooms elsewhere. I told the manger I overheard this conversation and this gentleman could have had our rooms had the hotel been understanding of our situation - now they had two unhappy groups of clients. Karma!!

Room Tip: There are other hotels in Sri Lanka, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank ratbag62
Christine A, Manager at Renuka City Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to communicate your feedback to us. Please note that your reservations were done via email where all the payment procedures and cancellation policies were clearly communicated.
Further, as we are building a new pool and gym for our hotel, we are certainly aware that the hotel did not provide you with the pool experience you hoped for and please accept our sincere apologies. However the closure of the pool has been clearly stated in all our websites. Also please note that the noise is only from the adjacent building which is being built and the contractors minimise this noise to times between 9am and 6.30pm. There are no renovations in the hotel building itself. We hope to finish this new building with all new services including superior rooms, gym and pool by 1st December 2012 and trust you agree that it is only helping us to provide the best services for our guests for years to come.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Arabic first
nyk
Reviewed 24 July 2012

the hotel is close to the beach and situated nicely , but there is a lot of disturbance is you at the lower floors ... the breakfast was not that great ! the service was avg
this is more of a business hotel...
the mcdonalds and criskat mall is just walkable from there and also the golface is just close by....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank nyk1981
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. Room is clean, but it's not the room my group has booked.

My company help me book the room there for one triple room and the rate confirmed before I arrived. But later the next day hotel told me that it's not the price I get confirm because I stayed in Delux room, not Standard room. How could I know that since your staff give me the key when I check-in? I sent email to complain to sales manager, but no answer at all. How rude!!!

I felt as if I was cheated. My group stayed 3 in one room, but the amenities in the bathroom so limited. I need to write a memo note to ask for more.

Staff in the restaurant during breakfast is good, but not staff at the reception - too slow service and not treat us good especially woman staff.

This is not worth to pay!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Natalie A
Faridabad, India
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I stayed in the refurbished old wing this time. Rooms have been done nicely. Staff service is of high order - may be because i am a regular. This is a welcome place for the business travellers with a vantage location in the Galle Road. The conference facilities here are quite good. The restaurant mainly serves srilankan food. Only pricking point is the high cost .. US$ 107 for a single small room with breakfast.

Room Tip: Dont take the single rooms. they are quite small.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This hotel was really very average... staff were uninterested, not particularly helpful and reflected the boring atmosphere of the hotel. No character at all.

The room was nice, though nothing special and certainly not what I had expected for $120 USD per night. I really wouldn't bother staying here, I planned to stay 4 nights but left after just one night and went to stay at the Peal City, which was a lot cheaper, cleaner, better located and had a delightful view of the sea.

Additionally, the pool was closed without a date of when it would re-open.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple