All reviewsbeach hotelrich historycolonial buildinggood sizecomfortdoorman
Reviewed 23 July 2018

My family chose that hotel because firstly, it is away from the hustle and bustle of Colombo town and yet near enough (a short ride on a 3-wheeler for a fare of 200 rupees per person would get you there, or a hired van for 700 rupees for a group of 7 people would do too). Secondly, it is a classic hotel complete with all the colonial styles, rich history (for a small fee, one gets to visit the ancient hidden tunnel at the hotel grounds!!), service with class, luxury setting and comfort too. Thirdly, it is seated on a cliff (not a high one though) and so, we got a fantastic view of the ocean before us and the waves rocked us to sleep at night (urban-ites like us don't get to hear the waves very much, especially at night). Finally, it was FIFA world cup season then, I got to watch the matches on a huge screen while enjoying my drink and the lively crowd too.

The rooms were of good size and very clean. The breakfast spread was great too. In the evening, The Governor's restaurant is "transformed" into a luxurious venue for buffet dinner, costing 3400 rupees per person. We thoroughly enjoyed the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank SingaporeHO
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in September with work colleagues. Rooms are of a good size and if you get a sea facing room the views are excellent! The choice of food was fantastic and something to cater for all tastes. Very impressive colonial building over-looking the beach.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

My wife And I visit the hotel every year as it's not just a hotel for us but also where we had our beach wedding. Most of the staff even remember us well and give us great care. I checked in again a few days ago and yet again the hotel and its atmosphere take away all the stress of your life away through exceptional service and hospitality. This time we also met Sandamali at the reception who right from check inn to check out made us feel so special. She is not only very professional but extremely helpful and skilled so you never feel disappointed when she's handling you. I give her 7 stars for her hospitality. Thank you. And also a big thank you to all the others as well as you all make the stay worth it. I think I'll have to buy a room in the future lol. That's how much I love this place. See you in a few days again;)

Faraz & Desiree Sheikh.
Switzerland.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Faraz S
Reviewed 6 March 2017

We stayed one night at the end of our tour. We arrived early evening after a long day travelling from Yala. Our room was on the 3rd floor at the end of the hotel near the railway line with a small balcony and a magnificent seaview.
On arrival the room had a double bed and a single fold up bed that we didn't need. When our cases arrived the guy asked if we needed the other bed and as we didn't he arranged for it to be removed promptly.
We dined outside with the res of our group as it was a lovely evening.
We slept very well and the railway didn't disturb us at all. We also watched a large group of swimmers do a long distance race just down from the hotel. Later a man climbed right up the palm tree outside out room with no harness to cut down branches. It was scary to watch but he made t back to the ground safely, much to my relief.
The following morning there was a wedding party in the lounge when we went down for breakfast. It was lovely to see their ornate costumes.
We didn't get an opportunity to try the swimming pool before our transfer to our beach hotel.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night - the first night of our honeymoon in Sri Lanka. Given a very warm welcome and shown to our room. We knew we were coming to one of the oldest hotels in Colombo so we were not expecting all the mod cons, however the room was very basic. It had two single beds, the air conditioning was noisy and there was a bit of a funny smell. We weren't going to say anything but when I went into the bathroom and there were no towels we returned to reception. We were then given a different room which was much much nicer with a huge comfy bed and a sea view so we were satisfied. The breakfast was great with loads of choice - unfortunately we had a very early start so did not have time to make the most of it.
We also ate in the restaurant on the beach - the food was nice but it was much much more expensive than anywhere else we ate in Sri Lanka. The prices on the menu didn't look bad but when we bill came we unfortunately just paid up without really thinking about it (we'll blame the jet lag.) if I was to return to Colombo I probably wouldn't stay in this hotel again.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple