New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Phnom Penh city” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Phnom Penh

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
toronto
“Phnom Penh city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2010

Phnom penh is a great city. There are many places you can visit, such as the temple, the Royal Palace, the river bank, and many shopping mall. You can also find a good hotel to stay with a suitable price. The city as well as its people are also interesting. The transportation is good. You can use TOk TOK to travel around the city easily. All in all I really enjoyed my stay in Phnom Penh

Cambodia
9 helpful votes
“Try a River Cruise on the Mekong!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

Forget those cruises on the Nile, the Niger, the Danube... the mythical Mekong River, the "mother of all water" reaches out to you with its many arms. For over three decades it was closed to travel, forgotten, occupied as a hostage of war. Its silty, ocher-colored waters, its immense spaces that reach out to infinity, its magical colors, its rapids, its freshwater dolphins, its sleepy colonial villages, are now open to you.

Much more than other countries, Cambodia is a land made for river cruises. Everything in the kingdom is linked to its waterways, some of which are truly unique, such as the Tonle Sap that changes its direction of flow during the rainy season. Without such miracles of nature, Kambuja, the land born of water, simply would not exist. According to legend, the king of the Nagas created the land of the Khmers by drinking, in one draught, all the water at the foot of Mount Meru in order to offer the dowry of dowries to his daughter. It's easy to understand why Cambodians celebrate each of the mystical manifestations of their waterways with festivals that are expressions of the rhythm of life in this country.

Cambodia's waterways are more than a convenient way of getting around; they are the country's lifeblood. Take a trip on them and you get an unparalleled in-depth look at the real country, becoming totally immersed in something both gentle and spectacular that cannot be experienced by any other mode of transportation. The shallow draught of the Toum Tiou makes it possible to reach the very heart of the remotest of villages where the sense of discovery is often reciprocal. Is it the travelers or the Khmers who are most surprised by the encounter ?

3 Thank Naidah Y
Canada
2 helpful votes
“Palm Wine instead of Grape wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

I have been to Cambodia for 2-3 times now and every time I visit Cambodia, I never forget to buy palm wine produced by Confirel.

The first time I visited Cambodia, I was afraid to taste any of the local food, especially on anything that I never had before. But my second time, I was braver and started tasting something different, such as Prohok, sour mango pickle with salt and chili or sour mango with fish sauce .... yum :)

After I visited the Night market, known as “one village, one product” market, I have introduced to the palm wine, and palm sugar. The first wine I tasted was Pineapple palm wine, which contained only 8% of alcohol. The wine has a little sweetness from Pinepple. It's different from Grapewine in a good way. It's light and fresh, fit well for the lady or whoever does not like alcoholic drink.

Another one I tasted was, Jaya, which they called Palm Whisky. Jaya has a great taste for a 40% alcoholic drink. I enjoyed it alot.

Next time you visit Cambodia, don't forget to switch your drinking grape wine habit and try palm wine instead. I guarantee you will like it.

You can find palm wine at any supermarket especially in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, at restaurant, mini mart, etc.

FeelingAngelish

2 Thank feelingangelish
oregon
1 helpful vote
“great ride!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

I've been to phnom penh a few times in the past few years and on my latest trip I heard about the islands bike ride from a friend who was here a month ago.I had a great time on the ride and the islands are beautiful. great new addition to phnom penh.

I had a chat with the owner of the shop, real friendly guy, and he gave me some tips and ideas about coming back to cambodia to do a longer self supported cyling trip with my friend.

Vientiane
15 helpful votes
“that's where the expats go, must be good !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

Excellent cocktails

Been to Phnom Penh? Share your experiences!