“Strategic Location, But...”

Khmeroyal Hotel
Ranked #149 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
“Strategic Location, But...”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Yes, Khmer Royal Hotel is located on a strategic area. Mekong River is just right in front of you and from there the sun rises in front of your eyes. The Royal Palace is your neighbor.

But, there are many other hotels on the same location, with a more reasonable price. Actually I choose this hotel because I wanted to photograph sunrise from my window. It turned out that the long park alongside Mekong River was a very pleasant (and safe) place. Eventually, I got out, went across the street, and made my sunrise shots. I could have rented a cheaper room, if I had known.

I got a free pick up from The Sinh Tourist's office where my bus from Chau Doc arrived. The transportation back (after check out) was on my own arrangement. Totally on my own arrangement. Luckily the men outside the hotel were kind and helped find me a tuk tuk on that early morning.

Furniture inside the room were rather old. The refrigerator will turn off when you unplug your room key and go out of the room. So don't expect to entertain yourself with a cold drink after being out.

On my first night, the electricity went off several times in a row at night. The room became barely dark.

The air condition in my room wasn't working quite well. Although I had set the remote control to 16 (the lowest), I only could feel the air if I slept right under the air con.

When we settled on the price via email prior to my arrival, Mr. Phana agreed to serve me breakfast at 5:10 AM. The breakfast was also reconfirmed on my first evening when Mr. Phana asked me to pay the full amount. As a matter of fact, the morning I was leaving, the front desk staffs knew nothing about my request of early breakfast. Yes, I eventually got a plate of fried rice and omelet, but became almost late for my bus.

I acknowledge that most of the hotel staff tried their best to be kind. But I'm disappointed because when I asked Mr. Phana about the sunset cruise boat. He said there's only a private boat costing 15 USD. When I went out myself, there were a handful travel agents alongside the street that had the sunset cruise boat tour which only cost 5 USD per person. The boat was fine and spacious. I can't believe that Mr. Phana didn't knew about them.

I also hired a car and driver for one day trip to Kirirom National Park. The driver was my biggest disappointment. He took me round and round which wasted my time. He didn't know the way. Although he asked the locals several times, I still couldn't get directly to the spot. He didn't look friendly either. While driving, he often stepped on the brake in a sudden which cost my body to fling to the front. He most did that when there was a speed breaker in front of us. Instead of slowing down, he would step on the brake in a sudden just centimeters before the speed breaker. It was worst when there was a cow and a car crossing the street. From meters away I could see that cow already. He surely could have plenty of time to slow down and give way for the cow. He did not. Instead, he stepped on the brake all in a sudden right when we were in front of the cow's face. Maybe he needs to wear on glasses?

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank automidori
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Ok, so it's not brand-spanking new but this hotel oozes character. The staff are professional an friendly, the riverside view is simply breathtaking and it's perfectly located for all the best sites of Phnom Penn and it's über cool
Riverside promenade. The rooms are clean and the bathrooms have a large, deep bath.

• Stayed August 2011
Hamburg
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I planned to stay at this hotel for three nights. The staff seemed very friendly, the room very spacious and with big windows. The price was definitely ok and even negotiable and came with breakfast incl, which I also thought was ok. You can tell that the hotel has seen better days and is a bit rundown, but the price also reflects that. It's not overpriced. Compared to other places on the river a real find!
I would hesitate in recommending it though, because the room to the riverfront was very noisy, not so much the street noise, but I've been woken up at 5:20am by an exercise class outside the window playing very loud music, but you can get that anywhere on that strip. Then I got a very precious ring stolen out of the room, that I just forgot to put back on. They do have safety boxes at the reception and make you sign that they are not to held responsible for 'losses'. The manager was correct and supportive to find the ring but I just didn't feel comfortable there anymore. So watch your stuff, use the lockers and you might have a real good stay there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Unless you are travelling on the cheap, don't even consider this place. Dirty old rooms, hot water heaters that burst in your room and minimal security (door keys work on multiple rooms). One good thing is the roof top terrace with nice views of the river.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank hurleyc
Khmeroyal, Owner at Khmeroyal Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Respond to Tripadvisor.com on Oct 7, 2010 by owner
“Terrible, don't stay here.”
Dear Reader,
Under new management, i checked all complaints on tripadvisor and the problems. i found out 1-all rooms are clean as the pictures on
2- all locks are different keys and all locks are expensive, bought from lock shop.
Maybe this customer is drunk and can not control them self.
We are welcome to this customer back to Khmeroyal Hotel to inspect and tell true, we offer 1 day free stay.

Thank you for your information.
Best regards,
Mr. Yourin Ngim
Owner of Khmeroyal & Neak Pean Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Papamoa Beach
Reviewed 31 March 2010

stayed here in Nov 09 after looking at most hotels along the Tonle Sap rivefront. rooms were standard but ours were very clean. great views with large opening windows (if you get a riverfront room) Met the owner who organised accomodation for us in Siam Reap at the other hotel he owns (Neak Pean) also organised a driver for us who took us up to Siam Reap and drove us around for 4 days, then bought us back to Phnom Penh. All in all, I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends