New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Goldiana Hotel, Phnom Penh, Cambodia” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meng Goldiana 282 Hotel

Meng Goldiana 282 Hotel
Ranked #224 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Monterey, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

I stayed in room 109 at the Goldiana Hotel in Phnom Penh from 3-7 January 2009 and was relieved of at least $400 in cash from my room or the luggage storage room (but more likely from my room). Someone working there helped himself or herself to my cash however deeply burrowed in my luggage. I had my cash in an envelope deep inside an inner pocket of a backpack.

It was almost certainly staff because the envelope contained between $800-$900 and was left with precisely $400. I took out a few $20 bills during mys tay, but there is no way I spent at least $400 in the first few days of my stay in Cambodia. Only someone working there would do this to lower the likelihood of detection.

Another clue: I had an internet cable installed in my room (through the window), at the fairly outrageous price of $12 per day, which prevented the window from being locked. This alone would have allowed whoever knew I had internet (just about anyone working the front desk) that my window was not secure and could be reached from the first floor balcony (which, incidentally, is also accessible from a hallway passage). I came back one night and noticed the window ajar, which did not alarm me since I thought housekeeping had perhaps wanted to let some fresh air into the room. (Incidentally, the towels are fourth rate and make your skin itch, as does the water from the shower. I stayed for weeks at the Golden Bridge some years back and never had any issues.)

I noticed the envelope's remarkable thinness when I changed hotels, moving to the Himawari Hotel Apartments, and began unpacking my things. This was within two hours of picking-up my stored luggage from the Goldiana and I went back immediately to register my complaint. The staff (all in their early 20s) was less than helpful. Total denial.

What's sad is that the General Manager (Mr. Chhay Meas, son of the founder of the hotel) would not even talk to me, over the phone or in person. It was a total ostrich mentality. I came back once more in person, on 10 January 2009, and was again told circa 6:30pm, that the GM was "asleep" and unavailable!

Incidentally, my luggage was stored in the Goldiana's "storage room" (pictures of which I am uploading) from 8am until 3pm, and, apparently, despite giving me a luggage tag, they don't take any responsibility for the contents. Moreover, I discovered that the storage room is unsecured. It is a public bathroom space accessible to anyone. I very much doubt, however, given that not all the money was taken, that it was some guest going to the bathroom. The surgical precision of this theft is simply not the work someone with two seconds to riffle through someone's bag. It had to have been a worker there, and likely in my room 109 sometime during my stay.

• Liked — That they left me with $400 instead of stealing every last dollar I had from my luggage.
  • Disliked — That someone working there stole at least $400 from my luggage during my stay. I have stayed at dozens of hotels in Cambodia for work, and never, ever once have I had anything stolen until my fateful encounter with the legendary Goldiana Hotel (a hotel I thought was above reproach, being in the NGO sector of Phnom Penh and catering to that community).
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2008

The Goldiana Hotel sits aplomb in the heart of Boeng Koeng Kang (BKK), Phnom Penh's preferred residential district for expats and resident NGO's. It is this location which is one of The Goldiana's great strengths as the BKK area is a delightful part of Phnom Penh. With it's wide boulevards, and large villas it is noticeably more spacious and quieter than elsewhere in the city. BKK also has a great selection of restaurants and bars - all much less touristy and frenetic than the riverside area.

The Goldiana Hotel is a mid size hotel (approx 120 rooms), I took a "Deluxe Room" at $53/night (incl. breakfast). However, on checking with reception I found out that "Deluxe" just meant the rooms above the 2nd floor.

The key strength of the Goldiana Hotel is that it does all of the important basics of a hotel very well. The rooms are clean and adequately sized. They are equipped with a mini bar, TV, air con etc - everything works. The beds are very comfortable. The shower works well with plenty of hot water at a high pressure. The room cleaning service is excellent - clean linen and towels every day. The laundry service is absolutely exceptional - a 2 hour turn around time, at no extra cost - amazing ! The rooms are very quiet due to double glazing, carpeted floors and solidly built walls. The blackout curtains ensure a great sleep even when the sun has come up.

The only weaknesses with the hotel are that the breakfast is not exactly appetising, but you can pop less than a minute around the corner to Garden Centre Cafe 2 for a great selection of healthy, and not so healthy, alternatives. Finally, The Goldiana is a little dated, the fixtures and fittings are all a little jaded, and could do with refreshing. This is not say that the hotel is not clean, it's just a little dated. For a hotel which does all of the key basics well in an excellent location The Goldiana is a great choice.

• Liked — Location, quiet.
  • Disliked — a bit old.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2008

I came to work in Phnom Penh for almost 2 months, and unfortunately my employer chose the Goldiana (but stayed somewhere else himself, which tells you a lot.) Though the location is quite convenient, and the pool is a nice feature, the cons definitely outweigh the pros. Several members of our company had CASH STOLEN OUT OF THEIR ROOMS. The sheets and towels REEK of mildew and other putrid unidentifiable smells. (In fact, I had to get up out of my bed to write this before one more night went by.) The elevators have stranded two of my colleagues while inside the pitch black, stalled cars. I am down to one working light bulb in my room and the front desk does not speak English well enough to understand several of our requests for light. In a country where (the people are so incredibly lovely, but) the resources are extremely limited, for the Golidiana to charge $12 a day for internet is outright despicable. And though Phnom Penh definitely is a challenging place to live, do not expect comfort in any way, shape or form at the Goldiana. And for goodness sake, do not BREATHE here! Your stomach will be sure to be sour for the entire stay, as mine has been for over 4 weeks so far.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The disgusting sheets and towels.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Snobuckety