“Great value for money with a wide range of local dishes”

L'Orchidee Restaurant
Ranked #41 of 1,709 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Price range: US$ 2 - US$ 7
Cuisines: Cambodian, European
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Dear Customers, Due to urgent work, our restaurant is closed for 2 weeks from Aug 27 to Sep 11, 2018. We will resume our operation from Sep 12 as usual. Please note: we are able to serve our food with limited menu at De Magic Noodle, st. 135 & 456 Thank you for your support! Regards
Reviewed 5 April 2017

We ate here on our first night in Phnom Penh and it got our holiday off to a great start. We tried to Kamir food but it does offer Italian food as well - the owner is French.

We were with a friend who had been living close by so she was able to recommend all the dishes to try - green ants included! My favourite dish was the fish in tamarind sauce. We also tried to beef lok lak which was nice and a dish with green ants in, you can't really taste them but it adds to the local experience.

We ordered beer and water as well. The prices were very reasonable.

I loved the ambience of the restaurant, the service is not the fastest but I don't think it is the sort of place you go if you are in a hurry.

Definitely worth going again and good if you have some fussy eaters in your party who would rather stick to what they know.

2  Thank CrosbyFieldsS
OrchideeRestaurant, Owner at L'Orchidee Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Dear CrosbyFields,

Thank you visiting us and we do appreciate your time to write this comment. :)

I agree that our service is not that fast. We are working on it to improve more of our weak point, we hope you will experience a faster services from both Kitchen and Service staff in your next visit.

We thank you for your supporting us and please come back and share another experience. :)

Regards,
Sophorn

Reviewed 4 February 2017

We went in for dinner on a Sunday evening. It was a 10 minute walk from our hotel. Ambience is very homely and outdoor veranda seating. Very informal. They had a decent menu. We all ordered the soups with rice. Food took a long time to arrive. Taste wise it was very middle of the road, for the price paid. Very good wines though. On the whole we had a decent experience at L'Orchadee.

Dear Varun_mukthi,

Thank you for your visit and we do appreciate your time to write this review.

We are sorry to hear that you were not that satisfy with our services and food. I wish our services could recommend you some better stuff than just soup.

We do hope you will return to our place and try difference things, also experience our service again as we are working on it to improve both outside and kitchen.

Regards,
Sophorn

Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

After reading the reviews I thought this place would be amazing.
Waited a long time for meals to come out.
Fish was not boned correctly.
Once meals were finished had to wait another 10mins for the bill.
This place was majorly understaffed.
2 staff running around like headless chocks.

Reviewed 30 September 2016

The hidden gem of Cambodian restaurants. Unassuming little restaurant in Toul Tom Poung however the food is excellent every time. I have tried many of the so called top restaurants in Phnom Penh and they simply do not compare for quality of food, service or friendly family atmosphere.

2  Thank smoush1954
Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

L'Orchidee is a small restaurant in the Russian Market area. I was drawn to it by the rave reviews. In the day time, the restaurant looks rather non-descript. It looks a lot more attractive in the evenings, when it is lit and its vibrantly painted walls are revealed.

For my drink, it was both a great idea and a real bargain to get the fresh coconut (only 6000 riel/USD1.50) - it was quite huge, with what seemed like a never-ending supply of chilled coconut juice. It was truly refreshing and just perfect for the perpetually hot and humid weather - whether in the day or in the evening!

Anyway, I know this restaurant has a French name and it serves both French/Italian (beef and lasagne etc) and Khmer food. But I was famished after a long day and suddenly felt like having some fried spring rolls for my starter. But they didn't have any spring rolls. To their credit, the waitress came back from the kitchen and counter-offered with fried dumplings (gyoza) instead. The dumplings were only average (not their forte, afterall!), and I could have gone without them. It cost 8,000 riel (USD2/-), which was reasonable. All the same, maybe I should have ordered the mango salad the waitress recommended. (I later discovered that they serve fried spring rolls for their set lunch on one of the weekdays.)

For my main meal, I ordered a small plate of fried rice at 16,000 riel (USD4). It was surprisingly very tasty, with generous chunks of squid and tentacles, as well as exactly two prawns that were cooked just right (some prawns in fried rice can be over-cooked and tough). There was a very nice crunch coming from very neatly diced string beans and carrots. It is different from what I am used to, and in future, whenever I am cooking my own fried rice, I will try to use these ingredients instead of green peas and diced cucumber, just for a change. Overall, kudos to the chef, for I licked the platter clean, and not a single grain of rice was left! (Ok, so I was hungry too!)

At the time of my visit, the restaurant was very quiet and relaxed, with moderately soft strains coming from a radio at the counter. I found the decor and ambience simple yet quite pleasant, although I expected a larger space and went up a flight of stairs by mistake!

After my meal, I was served a small complimentary dish of neatly diced tropical fruits of water melon, banana, mango and passion fruit. It was a nice touch.

At the time of writing, I had already patronised this restaurant on three separate occasions (one lunch and two dinners). I found the food tasty, service OK and the prices reasonable at every visit.

I recommend this place and would come again if I'm in the area...or city.

3  Thank Eunice C