See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Good location at the old quaters and a fair price, is was about 15 dollars per night. Very clean bathroom and bed. The staff speaks english and is very friendly. Thanks a lot for everything Mrs Moon, you gave us good advices.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

www.hanoisunshinehotel.com
Email: sunshine3@hanoisunshinehotel.com
Tel: (84-4) 39263763 - 39263766
Fax: (84-4) 392261827
15” walk from northern end of Hoan Kiem Lake.
Over the years using Ha Noi as a base to explore N. S. E. and West of Ha Noi, I have stayed with this group of hotels, some no longer in existence; Sunshine 1, 2, 3 and Classic 1 and 2 plus another one I don't remember. My old notes listed no problems with Sunshine 3 so I booked here. I booked a quiet standard room. Upon arrival they want to put me on the street side-BEEP BEEP BEEP. No thanks quiet please. # 206 which looks like a standard room, smells like a standard room-MOLD but informed the next day it's a superior. Huh? This small room is a superior. That's what they said. What can I do? I remember the website pictures AND room facilities. They do NOT match what is in my room. Years ago ALL rooms at each location, I think, had a computer in the room.
MY advice is to see the room first, compare to what is advertised and then decide. No computer, ADSL or LCD in “this” room. That’s all I'm saying. It is what it is. I ain't changing OR moving. Actually, I'm leaving Nam ASAP!
My room, as it is has OK mattress BUT it has a BIG lump or a spring right in the middle. NOT good for my bad back. Minimal toiletries, temperamental air conditioner, mini-fridge/bar, 1 free water 500ml, free limited “buffet” breakfast, small computer table, couple of chairs, normal TV channels for Vietnam; 10-12 in English, unlock able closet and free wi-fi which is sporadic fluctuating between poor and good, mostly fair, in the yellow!
Overall, I'd say I was mistaken with my old notes. I think they haven't kept up on the maintenance at this location. I can ONLY speak for my room # 206 with smells moldy reminding me of my abandoned, flooded mold-infested house back in America. Bad memories; the smell of mold! In my opinion, a superior room should be more superior than this!
Update; After 2 days I moved next door to a larger room with a computer which unfortunately is temperamental. It's OLD, Windows XP. Lots of browser crashing. I kept trying but eventually just unplugged it and put it in the closet. Same stuff in this room just a bit bigger. I wasn't even going to change rooms but it was right next door. People/employees are friendly as usual.
I'd say upgrade computers since I know they have fake Windows XP.
Oh, and they charge the illegal, according to Visa International, 3% extra to pay with a credit card.

Room Tip: IF you ask for a quiet room, depending on how many people are there, you should get a quiet room. MY room was fairly quiet. FYI; Vietnam, in general, is NOISY!!!!! Beep, Beep, Beep!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank salemnobody
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We ended up here as our Halong Bay cruise was cut short due to severe fog. A lot of hotels were full and this was all that was left.

On arrival we were treated by pushy staff who quickly showed us to the room on the ground floor next to the breakfast area. This room is damp, musty and noisy, DON'T stay here if you don't have to. In the morning loud noise started at 6am with a cockrall that sounded like it was in the room with us. Loud banging and building work, and noise from guests having breakfast just metres away through a very thin wall.

We could hear other guests using their toilet through the wall. Never what you really want to hear. Room however was clean and wifi worked okay.

Glad it is just for one night and we are moving back to Hanoi Guesthouse just a few doors away. Hanoi Guesthouse, which is cheaper is a world away from this place. If you are after something nice and cheap, get in touch with Hanoi Guesthouse half a week before you arrive in Hanoi. They are extremely friendly and helpful which you'll read from their TA reviews.

Hope this is helpful.

Room Tip: Do not settle for the room on the ground floor looking out to reception.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rich005
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed here with a large group of experienced Vietnam travellers. We were diverted here due to lack of space at the Gia Thinh. Some people were happy with their room but we got a really small room out the back. The toilet was almost unusable because it was poked away between a wall and a bath with no space space. The walls were filthy. The room had a computer for Internet and a fridge but neither were plugged in and we would have needed an extension cord to reach the one available plug. Our window opened onto a stairwell. There was a skylight above the door with a hall light outside so it was very bright in the room all night. 3 of our party refused to pay the $30 asked because we considered that some rooms were so bad they should have been cheaper. Reception did not seem to be interested.
The breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before booking in.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hinchies
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Forewarning: I did NOT stay at this hotel but I was so upset when I left the hotel I felt compelled to write a review because I've never felt so upset.
I came into this hotel to check out the room. Upon arrival no one was at the reception desk so a man sitting at the tour desk helped me. He showed me the room, definitely NOT $35 quality so I asked him for a better price and he said $30. It was still too high so I told him next door (Hanoi Hotel to the right) was charging $30 also (Quality of Hanoi Hotel is better). I seemed to push his buttons when I said this as he replied, "I DON'T CARE. YOU STAY THERE THEN. HERE IT'S $3O". I quickly said my thanks and left, having never met an employee who was so rude!!! I'm still upset and its been several days. Is it wrong to expect that if a person works in the field of hospitality they should be hospitable???

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends