All reviews the dragon west lake halong bay jimmy furniture street taxis
Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

I was hoping for a room overlooking the lake but apparently as I had booked through Booking.com this was not an option!! However I also requested a quiet room which the rooms at the back are. However I had a room on the top floor & there was some machinery in the attic which made a noise during the night. Had to put my earplugs in. I had a balcony but didn' sit out there to look at the shanty town & garbage below!! Breakfast was disappointing too. Interesting decor! Very Vietnamese! Lots of mirrors & large murals. Only stayed two nights which was long enough to explore West Lake in a day. Hired a free bicycle from the hotel. Never thought I would cycle in Hanoi. Found an amazing flower park. Well worth a visit. Staff helpful.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

On arrival they gave me a room out the back, despite having booked a lakeview room. They did move me when I questioned it though. Room was fine - king size bed, several coathangers (always good for hanging up washing to dry!), two doors onto patio (their version of double glazing) helped to keep noise down from road outside. Breakfast wasn't great - limited choice and they looked at me pretty strangely when I pulled out the vegemite to have with my bread :) Bathroom was weird - shower right next to the toilet, but was always dried up by the time I returned from breakfast. Was close to where I needed to be and fine for a couple of nights. Staff helpful with getting taxis etc. Loved the fish pond inside!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2017

Stayed 7 nights. Would have moved somewhere else on night 2 but trip was prepaid through a tour company. Positives - very friendly & helpful staff. Breakfast was not bad, but after a couple days with the same few choices we went elsewhere for breakfast. Rooms are small. The first room we refused actually had the shower directly beside (overhead) the toilet - no I'm not kidding. Unbelievable. I for some reason did not clue in that they turn OFF the air conditioning at midnight. I just thought it couldn't handle the heat. Sweated bullets most nights. Found out on the second to last day. Rooms facing the lake also face the street that has motorcycle honking 24 hours a day. You will not sleep. Mold in bathroom big time. The place is close to many restaurants and a quieter area if you want to walk by the lake. Sadly the lake and street is strewn with garbage as in most of the city.
Notice how many reviews for the Dragon are by people with only one review ever? Could it be that.....no. No one would do that. If you stay here you will regret it.

Room Tip: If you are stuck here - get a room at the back of the building.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bannatyne
Long L, Tổng giám đốc at Dragon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Dear Bannatyne,

First of all, please accept our sincerest apology for the unsatisfied experience you had gone through while staying at Dragon Hotel.
Second of all, we would like to clear a few things for you as well as our current and future customers:
1. The first room you stayed in is our Deluxe Room with Lake View. We agree that the bathroom is a bit small for Westerners. However, the Hotel was built in 1991, it would be quite difficult for us to change the structure of the whole building just to make the bathroom bigger for a bathroom stall. On the other hand, we do have the magnificent view of West Lake to make up for it in a way. Also, the other customers consider the disadvantage of the bathroom to be a "local" experience.
2. We can absolutely confirm that we DO NOT TURN OFF the A/C at midnight as there is no reasonable excuse for us to do so. There must have been some issues with the controller's timer function in your room. As you can check through Google, the cost of electricity during daytime is tripled than it is during nighttime. It would not make sense for us to turn off your A/C at midnight. If you had requested to change to another room, it would have been our pleasure to do so.
3. About the motorcycle honking 24 hours a day, we do try our best to soundproof the room facing the street. We understand that it is utterly uncomfortable for everyone, even the locals like ourselves. Nonetheless, this is what people do here in Vietnam (even the foreigners who lives here), which is out of our reach. The same goes for garbages' problem.
4. Last but not least, we sincerely appreciate your contributions to our page but please do not call the other customers' reviews "fake". They put their hearts in to express such wonderful things about us, even though for some of them is just an one-time thing. We can not thank them enough to have done so.
Once again, we apologise for your unpleasant stay with us. Your contributions to our page is very much appreciated.
All the best to you.

Best regards,

Long Le

Reviewed 3 May 2017

The Dragon Hotel is a very lovely and serene place with beautiful Asian art throughout. The restaurant is a garden and the most tranquil spot imaginable to enjoy wonderful
food that is beautifully presented. The guest rooms are enchanting, with scenic murals and pretty furniture as decor. However, the most impressive aspect of the Dragon Hotel was how gracious, helpful and engaging the staff was. They were there to help in all ways; getting taxis, changing money, directions to places in Hanoi, anything needed. Also, something important to remember is that it is impeccably clean and cared for. The Hotel is much loved by is owners and staff. I would not consider staying anywhere else in Hanoi.

Room Tip: I left an envelope at the front desk with money to be shared by all the staff.
Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
dragonhotel2016, Người quản lý at Dragon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Thank you so much Caroline, hope that you are well. It is our happiness to serve you and I would remember you so much. I really appreciate your feedback, it could help us to perfect our services. Wish you all the best!!!

Reviewed 26 April 2017

A charming hotel with stylish interior; Vietnamese statues and furniture, a coi carp pond and dragons etched into breakfast room windows. Bedrooms are a real surprise - we were not expecting the wallpaper! By far the most elegant hotel we stayed in during our month in North Vietnam. We stayed here each time we returned to Hanoi, 7 days in all. Different room each time, all good. Began to feel like home. Jimmy booked us a fabulous trip to Halong Bay/Cat Ba. We trusted him to organise it for us and it all went brilliantly.

Room Tip: Front have lake view. Higher floors are quieter (further from street below). Stairs only - no lift (elevator).
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
dragonhotel2016, Người quản lý at Dragon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2017

Thank you Mark, I am very honoured and grateful to serve you. You are so kind and I would remember you so much. I really appreciate your feedback, it could help us to perfect our service next time.
Wish you all the best!