“Awful”

Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca
Ranked #241 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We had a very bad experience in this hotel. We were woken up one night by a noise, on further inspection the noise was created by a rat. Went to reception to ask for a change of room - night staff were very unhelpful. Second room we went to there was another rat, horrific experience. On a positive note the day staff were very nice and the door man was particularly lovely and chatty. I'd only go back to see him, not stay in this hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Una O

Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

We had 7 golfers stay at this hotel 15 months earlier and we all rated it a 4 out of 5.
Two couples returned with our wives this time and found nothing went right.
Room 801 does not have internet service and had holes and dirty linen on checkin.
All staff were very young and were always on Facebook or watching movies on their phone and heavens forbid if you asked them anything.
The doorman sleeps on the couch and continues through breakfast service.
Breakfast, don't go down two hours before it shuts because there is nothing left and won,t be replaced.
Lucky next door is the best pork rolls in the universe so it didn't matter too much.
Don't expect much from this once good hotel nowadays.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2017

This hotel is conveniently located especially for the night market on weekends. Staff is friendly and helpful. The condition of the rooms however differ a lot. We stayed here twice in the same week. The first room had a broken safe, dust falling from the ceiling, window frames stuffed with tissues and a sink where water would only go down very slowly. The second room was realy great. Expect that it doesn't have a real window. Theres a glass front to let some light in from the roof. That's not unusual though in Hanoi with the narrow buldings.

Room Tip: If you're unhappy with your room be sure to ask for another one to look at. There are better one...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2017

Upon check in, one of the staff screamed so loud I almost dropped my phone. She saw a rat running out of the cupboards where they keep your breakfast plates in. I joked if it were safe for us to eat here and she nodded, saying 'no big deal, it's a small rat'. I got banh mi for breakfast in a shop next door my entire stay.

We booked 2 rooms and paid in advance. The staffs noticed us on the broken air con in both rooms so naturally, we asked for a room transfer. We got such a tempting deal to pay more to get what we should have had with the advance. Of course we discussed and got the rooms with working air con and no extra charge. Yet 1 of the air-con was barely cooling at all. We asked for assistant and the staff simply said 'there's wind blowing out, so it's working, not broken'. I should have booked a couch on a open air rooftop bar.

I always left my key at reception whenever I went out. On my very first night, I came back and saw another receptionist at night shift. I asked for my key and he said he found none. He asked me to check in my purse so I did just to make sure. The key was nowhere to be found in my purse. He then put the blame on the previous receptionist, saying the previous shift kept the key so he knew nothing. He then acted up, kept claiming he knew nothing and didn't give me a solution. My colleague was fed up with the behavior and asked for the master key. They did bring me to my room and kept on indicating it was either my fault or the previous receptionist's fault. I just wanted to sleep when it was almost midnight.

Since we were on a business trip, we need them to issue an invoice. We already paid for rooms in advance and additional charges during our stay. Upon check out, they said if we wanted to put additional charges on the invoice, they would have to add another 10% on top of that. I asked why, they went silent. And of course, we went on and on about tax and invoice issues until they agree and issued us an invoice with no extra 10% (normally all price is 10% VAT inclusive in Vietnam).

The rooms were fine though if you only need a quiet place, decent to sleep at night. Walls might be a bit thin but no loud annoying noise. It's the service that was surprisingly bad.

Highly recommend if you want to test your partner's patient and problem solving skill. Yours too.

Room Tip: Whenever in the old quarter, always try to choose the room further inside to make sure you'll ha...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2017

This hotel is very well centered in the Old Quarter in Hanoi. The managment were very helpful at all times. Wifi worked in reception but not in my room. My room, though small, was comfortable and a good use of space available. Tiny shower room but hot water and well set out. I was happy with my breakfast. There was choice and if something had run out more would be found if asked. Did not ever find the bar open though!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo