“There are better places in Hanoi”
Review of Golden Wings Hotel

Golden Wings Hotel
Ranked #320 of 637 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

All in all it's ok. Had a room with window and balcony right in the old quarter, but it was all quite small. As soon as we checked in we were also asked about excursions. Or no. Before we checked in and even cpuld say a word, basically. The deluxe rooms though, are not very deluxe. If you get a really good deal withthem you can go for it, it's not at all bad or filthy, but for that price there are a whole lot more and better options closeby.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank xhuxhmaxhuxh
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

We booked a standard room without a window as we were only there for one night after a trip. The room seemed very run down. The walls were grubby as was the bathroom, when we arrived there was hair in the plughole. The wifi didn't work as we were on the ground floor but there was a dodgy looking ethernet cable hanging out of a hole in the wall and the plug next to it didn't work so you couldn't charge the laptop whilst online. The thin walls and door meant that the sound from the reception area could be heard easily at night. The breakfast buffet in the sister hotel was one of the poorest we have had in Vietnam. We had a slight issue and when we raised this with the young gentleman on the desk he became very agitated, quite angry and rude towards us. If you stay here we would suggest you pay more and have a better quality room, but based on our experience we would never stay here again and would not recommend that anyone else did.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed at the golden wings for about a week at the end of August 2012. I found the people there to be most helpful and happy to assist in anyway.

Hang ,Jessica, Steven and the other employees really looked after me and made me feel welcome and at home.
The accomodation was really good. Room seviced each day and for the price I don't believe anyone could complain TV , ensuite, clean linen , towels etc.

Steven arranged all my tours at competetive prices so i didn't have to shop around for best prices.

I know that i will be going back to Hanoi and i will definately stay with these guys and girls again.

I hope you give the Golden Wings Hotel a go. I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Regards Paul

Oh yer i negotiated to have breakfast and it was a buffett which kept me going till mid afternoon.

Room Tip: If elderly see if you can get a room close to ground floor as some stairs are quite steep
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul b
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Stayed there with 2 other friends for 3 nights and we loved it. Not a 5-star hotel, but everything seems to be so perfect. Big clean room, bathroom with bath tub, TV, fridge, free wifi & internet at the lobby, and the best part is you actually get a balcony overlooking the hustle bustle of Hanoi city.

Strategic location, right in the city center, short walk to all the cool restaurants and bars, even souvenir shopping areas. we took a Bai Tu Long junkboat 1-night package to Ha Long Bay, and the agent's office is just a block away. I would definitely recommend this hotel to all travelers and friends. cheers~

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have balconies, so you can easily smoke outside.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Haikal_Hazman
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Golden Wings and Golden Wings II are 2 separate properties on opposite sides of Ma May St in the old quarter. Great location, attractive properties. I booked online and got a great rate ($12 where I believe the hostel down the street was $8 or more fo a dorm). Lucy was a big help in helping me book a trip to Ha Long bay (2 day/1 night). However. A problem arose when I returned. As part of the Ha Long planning, Lucy informed me that she would save my room and my rate for when I returned to stay another 2 nights. When I did return, she was not at work and her colleagues told me my room and the rate were no longer available. I was told the manager put the wrong rate online and that I had to pay the updated rate. They tried to show me online, and I also looked up another property near by to show the price difference. I insisted that I be given what was promised, finally offering to go stay at another place. And here's the thing: ONCE I offered to leave, THEN the ORIGINAL room was made available at the original rate. Clearly they were trying to up sell me in a not so subtle fashion. I have been in SE Asia long enough to know that this is not uncommon, so I was not very upset, but this type of behavior would not be tolerated in many parts of the world.

Take nothing away from the place and the rest of my dealings with the staff. I would give the place a 5 rating if not for this one experience. I still recommend the place, merely be vigilant in your negotiation.

Room Tip: Golden Wings II has an elevator and breakfast, GWI does not, but you can go over to II for breakfast...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo