“Great food for the price, great customer service. Must eat!”

Blue Butterfly Restaurant & Cooking Class
Ranked #37 of 2,899 Restaurants in Hanoi
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 2
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Blue Butterfly is located inside the heart of Hanoi Old Quarter, occupying a 300-year-old two-storey wooden house that promises a highly atmospheric and enjoyable environment. Its antique architecture should be the most attractive feature of this restaurant with all the furniture made of wood, traditional antiquities and Hanoi's scenes hanging along the wall...
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Rating:
Food: 4/5
Service: 5/5
Price: 3/5
Wait time: 2/5

Just dined there an hour ago.
No pushy staff, all the staff are very courteous, polite and amiable. It was a great experience. One of the staff was very kind to provide us an appetizer on the house, each for me and my bf. The staff added that it was to thank us for dining here. It was sticky rice and juice in a mini shot glass. We were very surprised as we were just regular customers and i didnt think we did anything in particular to warrant such good service! Maybe its the same for everyone, I couldnt tell as the other diners were already into their main course.

Anyway we ordered mushroom cream soup, springroll 3way, some chicken main course, a traditional pho soup, and a watermelon juice. Total boils down to about 650K dong.

The food we could tell was of good quality. The mushroom soup was great, though not exceptional to leave a lingering memory. But the traditional pho soup, that was a winner!!
Fragrant beef soup with a slight cinnamon taste and spearmint leaves added for extra taste. The combination was heavenly. Noodles were soft and smooth... I've never tasted pho this good.
One thing though, the beef in it does not have much variety and its a bit tough.
Other than that, the dish seriously scored through the roof.
The spring rolls were not too bad either, i rasted only the beef and pork. The pork was the best in my opinion. I dont really like the beef as it came with corriander and I hated corriander to the core. My bf on the other hand loved it and thought the beef was the best.
He sang praises about the chicken main course as well though but when i tried, didnt really leave that much of an impression on me.
Watermelon juice was really pure watermelon, doesnt taste like it had water in it. Its in a pretty small glass though so for the price of 99K i supposed its not too bad.
Customer service was impeccable I have to add. The staff were smiling all the way and were eager to please. My bf just couldnt resist tipping them.
Theres also an artisan quality to the food served. My pho was made ready infront of me (the staff poured the soup out from a cute little teapot and onto the bowl of noodles). The other dishes had some deliberate decoration on them too.

My only gripe about this place is the waiting time for food. Spent about 20mins waiting in total for the food to arrive in intervals. But i guess i cant complain if it was due to them preparing fresh food on the spot. Theres also good serving etiquette; they serve dishes together with your partner so neither of you have to look at the other eating while waiting for your food.

In short, come here if u want to be treated like royalty and taste good quality food at a justifiable price!

1  Thank Dez92

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

The cooking class was an experience I’ll never forget. Chef Hung “pickle” is the master of his profession. His knowledge and amiable manner made this one of the highlights of my trip to Vietnam. Not only did we travel by tuc tuc to the massive fresh air market to collect our ingredients but he explained everything so thoroughly that I know I can return to Canada and prepare these out of this world dishes. The staff was superb in every sense. I am so glad I took this course and so grateful to chef Hung. Many thanks for the memories and experience.
Allison Gamble

2  Thank allison g
Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

Our first night in Hanoi we just wandered into a restaurant and had a very ordinary meal. So I did a little research online and found Blue Butterfly - and my research paid off!! The restaurant is housed in a 300 year old house and was very atmospheric. We sat in the front of the restaurant and had an amazing meal while watching the activity of the night market. We ordered a set menu of traditional Hanoi dishes, four courses and some with choice of two options. Vietnamese pancakes, spring rolls both fried and fresh, pho, Hanoi style pork and Hanoi style grilled fish followed by sticky black rice for dessert. (As there were four of us dining we were able to sample all options). We had great service from our waitress who explained each dish and showed us how to assemble the pancakes. She was attentive but not intrusive. The food was fresh and delicious and definitely a highlight of our stay in Hanoi!!

1  Thank CCH1960
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Unquestionably my best morning and Hanoi so far! Half-day cooking class with Chef Hung, the young head chef of three upscale restaurants. It started with a trip to the market to buy ingredients which was one of the most fascinating things I've done on this trip ... so many foods I had never seen and did not know of ... banana seed pod for the salad, fresh corriander, star anise, sea worm (secret ingrediant for the soup!) He took the time to explain , in what was basically a private tour of the market, all of the doods and how they are used. He even stopped and bought breakfast for us at a sidewalk market vendor, which was delicious. Then step by step we cooked a four course meal; I say "we" because I actually did the cooking with him. Great way to learn. He was charming and fun and extremely knowledgeable. The course was in English. And very hands on. If you love food - don't miss it!

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Tonight we have a marvelous dinner at the Blue Butterfly. Service and food were excellent. Friendly personnel. And quality price superb. When you visit Hanoi you should go there!