“Generally a nice stay”

Ranked #230 of 763 Hotels in Phuket
Bend, Oregon
“Generally a nice stay”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

If you must stay in quiet Chalong, this is probably one of your best options. I can't be sure because it's the only place I stayed in Chalong, but certainly you could do worse.

Upon arrival in Phuket, no airport service arrived. The information counter man happily called Pier 42 and man claiming to be the owner answered the phone. He blamed the problem on Agoda and said that it was a recurring problem. I can't prove that he's wrong, since this happened twice to me in Thailand. However the evidence isn't damning, and the safest bet is to confirm airport transfer through the Hotel itself.

I ended up booking a Phi-Phi tour with the man at the information booth, and he went ahead and included my airport transfer in the cost of that tour, which he discounted 500 baht less than the brochure price. Fine with me.

After finally arriving at the hotel late at night, I was greeted by a young man who was seemingly kind only because he was required to be. I gave him a coupon for two free cocktails which was advertised here on tripadvisor, which he apparently ignored as we never received any cocktails. He showed us the room, and left back to his post at the lower front desk (during the day time it's upstairs).

When I tried to use the wifi, I discovered a password (required by law, or so I have read), so I called the front desk, and the phone rang a few times before the clerk picked up, and promptly hung up. Was I calling at a bad time? I'd hate to bother him during his smoke break or clubbing or whatever he was doing.. When I went to the front desk again that night, I found that the front desk clerk was nowhere to be found. That's when he came walking back from the pulsating bar/club across the street smoking a cigarette, which he didn't bother to put out. Perhaps he was enjoying my two free cocktails at the bar across the street? ;)

He gave me the wifi password and proceeded with his back-breaking work. I can't imagine getting paid to smoke and mingle at a club is easy.

The room was nice, filled with recycled wood furnishings and a large bed that was actually two beds pushed together. Don't sleep in the middle if you want to avoid a sore back. I find this to be a common practice at many hotels, where they take a twin room and magically transform it into a "double bed". It wasn't much of a problem, as the beds didn't move in the night, and choosing one side or the other will afford you a comfortable rest.

The shower, despite being open to the large bathroom with no curtains or walls, actually doesn't get the entire floor wet as you might think. The bathroom floor seems to be built at enough of an angle that the water goes straight to the drain. Herein lies the problem; the drain clogs quite easily. After a standard 5-10 minute shower, you are standing in a puddle, and the only fix that I found to this problem is to pull the drain cover completely out, leaving a hole in the ground that cannot clog so easily. Don't forget to replace it, though, or your entire hotel room will smell like sewage when you return from a day out.

The soap, shampoo, and conditioner were nice and smelled good, as well as working well enough.

The refrigerator was the standard tiny sized one, mini-bar stocked, so that there's no room for any of your own things. One the first day the housekeeping staff accidentally left the door of the fridge open, so some yogurt and drinks that we had in there went bad, and the fridge never did work again after that.. I did inform the staff, who said to let them know if it continues to be a problem. I don't know what their solution planned to be, but I wasn't staying in the hotel long enough to find out what it was.

The pool was nice, but very small and in the shade through about 80% of the day, as it is completely surrounded by the hotel itself. Not exactly well designed. It looked like it hadn't been cared for extremely well in its short life, as the tiles had a nice layer of grime. It was still nice enough for a dip.

The daytime and restaurant staff were a nice contrast from the night guy. They were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good enough, although limited and basic. The best part was probably the store bought yogurts, although the omelets weren't terrible, just diluted with something. The bread was also on the dry side.

When searching for a hotel, I checked the box that said "beach" and this one came up, but I assure you it's certainly not near any beach that I could find. The pier is just two minutes away, but filled with boats, it's not any place to swim. Rent a motorbike for a couple hundred baht and you can go to one of the many beautiful beaches in Phuket, none of which are near this hotel.

Overall, this hotel is a few bad instances from being 5 stars.. a shame.

Night front desk guy
clogging shower drain / sewage smell
unfortunate refrigerator that the maid rendered inoperable
no free drinks as advertised
breakfast passable
not near any swimming beach on foot (not a huge problem, but have it in mind)
some kind of sticky residue on the floor (maybe gum). Walking around barefoot in the room leaves your feet dirty, perhaps they didn't sweep or mop it any time recently?

Most of these problems are easily enough remedied. I can see why most of the people have rated it so well and certainly my rating could easily have been higher if not for the above listed problems.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kevinhoy
s_wainwright2004, General Manager at Pier 42 Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Kevin. Firstly let me apologise for the late response. My name is Steven Wainwright the new General Manager of Pier 42. I would like to respond to your comments and do my best to fix the issues you had with your stay with us. We do hope to see you again in the future so please contact me directly if you wish to return steve@pierfortytwo.com.
We now advise that all our customers use the taxi service we recommend at the airport. It is much more reliable, good cars and safe.
The man that greeted you upon arrival and the night porter have been dealt with. We are working hard to improve our customer service and also employing more skilled staff.
The shower we are improving to stop water spreading around the bathroom. We are also introducing a shower curtain for those that do not like open showers.
Our location is perfect for those wishing to relax, dive or go sailing as it is 1 minute from the pier. You can rent a low cost motorbike or car to beautiful beaches such Rawai or Kata which are 15 minutes away.
I really appreciate your detailed comments and will improve on them.
Again, we hope you can come see us again soon and we will do our best to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Kind Regards, Steve
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Penfield, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My Wife and I stayed at Pier 42 the 2nd week of Feb 2012 for 2 days, then to Phi Phi Don for 1 1/2 days, then back to Pier 42 for another 2 days. Two different rooms, both were very clean well accommodated, free bottled water and a very quiet setting except for the occasional rooster call at the rear of the resort. The entire resort is a paradise of tropical plantings and flowers. A perfect setting to either relax or walk to Pier 42 or to the very beautiful and spacious open air restaurant Kang Nang. The Pier 42 staff were accommodating and always helpful, especially Jeab the resort director who speaks excellent English and does a great job meeting traveler's needs. We checked out of the resort mid morning the 16th and drove to Patong beach for the day. Our flight to Bangkok wasn't till late evening. We drove back to Pier 42 resort and to our surprise the staff provided us with a shower in their spa to clean away the Patong beach sand and salt. We would not hesitate a return to Pier 42 as the price is very reasonable and the resort is exceptional.
Jim & Ying

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and received a very quiet room on both visits.. 2nd floor rear of resort...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank YingHay
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at pier 42 in jan, we live in Samui, so we went to Phuket for the weekend.
Pier42 welcomed. With smiling staff and willing to help us with questions. The rooms are very nice and clean, spaceous. Swimming pool is small but we went for scuba diving. They have a dive school attached to the hotel and it's only seconds away from the pier for all the boats leaving for day trips. Very highly recommended hotel definitely come back to stay.

Room Tip: Splash out a bit a go for the villa suite there is only one so need to book early.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gavin M
Tongduchon, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife, 8 month old son, and I stayed here for 6 nights in February.

The good:
The hotel staff were very helpful with all of our questions and needs. They were able to set the room up with a pack and play style crib with a mosquito net, so they get an A+ for being family friendly. The staff often held the baby for us so my wife and I could share a meal. The food was really outstandingly prepared and presented. We used the spa one time and it was a very pleasant experience; much more peaceful than getting a massage in a sweaty bazaar somewhere. The decor of the hotel and the pool is all very calming and peaceful. We came to Phuket to get away from the cold of winter in Korea and being overworked, Pier 42 was a perfect retreat.

Room for improvement:
The hotel is new and so these things may be fixed in the future, but I have to be honest for other travellers. If you are into diving in the day and drinking at night, then this is definately a perfect location, there are dive bars all in this area. Relative to the big beach areas like patong, the noise of music, cars, partygoers and such in the area is tame, but for light sleepers, you may want to make sure your room is insulated from the noise. My wife had trouble with it on several nights, but she is a country person and a very light sleeper. My baby and I slept like logs.

I think the hotel would benefit from having a pay shuttle service instead of having guests call on taxis, I had numerous bad experiences with taxi drivers in Phuket and the nicer hotels and tour services have shuttle service. Airport pickup and dropoff is another service that would go with that.

Some better welcome information to the area and the hotel would have been nice as well. We showed up in the middle of the night to a front desk with a clerk who basically just gave us the key and pointed us to our room. We got ourselves sorted out in the morning, but I'm used to the person at the desk giving me a bit of a spiel on the services of the hotel and maybe in the room a little welcome book with a local area guide and a map, maybe a pen and some stationary... I attributed this to the newness of the place.

Roundup:
You probably cant find a better hotel at this price on Phuket. Approved for family travel, ideal for folks doing activities based from Chalong.

Room Tip: Room in the back second floor was noisey.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank rubixhelix
Pier42, Owner at Pier 42 Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your stay ay Pier 42 and we are working on more information for our rooms + plans are in the offing to offer guests a transfer service on site, with shuttles to local beaches and airport collection and drop off.
We hope to welcome you and your family back again some time soon.
Saint-Petersburg
Reviewed 2 February 2012

When you enter Pier 42, almost everytime you can see at the reseption Mom of the hotel. Realy she is the director of the hotel, her name Jeab, but she is Mom for her stuff and for the guests, because she is conserned about us everytime. About location. It's very, very good, because as you see from the name of the hotel it situated in 50 meters from pier 42, from where you can travel to Phi-Phi island and everywhere, and you don't need wake up at 5 in the morning( as do everybody, who lives in Patong, Karon or Nai-Hurn), you can do it at 7a.m., eat your breakfast and at 7.45 enter the boat. It's very comfortable, isn't it? What else? In the hotel are two boutiques, where i bought oils for massage, necklaces for my sisters, silk scarf and soaps for my mather. The menu of the restaurant of the hotel have every thai dish with the price about 100 baht for a dish( 3 USD) and everythig is delicious. I tell a little sicret- the family of Mom run a restaurant of thai cuisine in Bangkok. If it's not enought, in 30 meters situated one of the best restaurants of Phuket( with the view of sea and live jazz ). In 30 meters from the hotel is a parking lot of all type of a taxi ( it's difficult to catch a taxi in the streets in Phuket!!), and in about 10 minutes you can be in every beach of Phuket. I have not told you about service, of course it was good( Mom take care!!). The room was very good for 3 star hotel, but i didn't understand only one thing, why there wasn't a wardrobe in my room, but this unique disadvantage did not spoil anything. And there was SPA with thai massage. I visited it almost every day. After my breakfast i liked to swim in the pool or just relax near it. I tell you, i had a very good time, I LIVED LIKE WITH THE FAMILY and I COME BACK!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo