“Really impressive menu”

Manhattans Restaurant & Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 January 2013

The was my first visit to Manhattans (even in previous manifestations) and I have to say I was very impressed. While I agree with one of the reviewers that the bar area lacks warmth, there is a solution. Simply enter the restaurant through the side door into the main dining area and you never have to set foot in the bar! Or as you suggest, have a drink at Matahari beforehand.

And the chairs and tables at Manhattans in the main dining area are so comfortable, why not just enjoy a pre dinner drink in this fabulous space. The tables and chairs are large and plush.

The evening got off to a fantastic start with some truly excellent bread and three accompanying dips and butters. The Amuse Bouche was a superb asparagus soup, rich and flavorful and the perfect start to the meal.

Being a computer programmer and longtime tablet user I found navigating the menu on the Android device (similar in size to an iPad) to be perfectly acceptable, although of course the screen is not as responsive as an iPad.

To the same reviewer who commented 'there is nothing wrong with paper' to me the advantages of an electronic menu is that daily adjustments (presumably) can be made to the menu and then pushed out to the tablets. This means in theory you shouldn't get any 'sorry sir that is not available today' or the typical Thai response in lesser establishments... 'No have!'

Having said that, as scrolling is required to get down to some of the categories such as specials, I would questions whether these might be missed by some diners. That would be a shame because in the specials section are a terrific range of imported oysters including Fine De Claire.

I went for a very risky option for entree - Sashimi Tuna and Salmon, after checking that the Tuna was not Thai Tuna which is notoriously bad for Sashimi (lacks any flavour). I was told no in fact the Tuna was Yellowfin from Australia, and of course the Sashimi Salmon was imported too as Thailand does not product Sashimi Salmon.

Being a huge Sashimi fan I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the dish, and it came accompanied with slices of pickled ginger, excellent wasabi and wakame.

Second dish was chicken livers served with a delicious cheese sauce, I cant recall exactly what it was but it was superb.

Now to the almost the best part... house wine is served fresh in 187ml bottles similar to the ones you get on an airline. The advantage of this should be obvious to anyone who enjoys a glass of wine in Thailand. The wine is always fresh, and secondly its a huge serving (quarter of a bottle). And the wines are prices at just 180 baht which is truly, superb value for money.

The Chardonnday (Australian) was a typical quaffing Chardonnay, and like most Australian Chardonnays benefited from warming up but was most drinkable. The Shiraz I really enjoyed. Just this gesture by the new owner says to me that he cares about wine, and about the customer!

Finally the chef made the rounds of the tables several times to check everything was okay and clarify a food allergy I have. Again, much appreciated.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

There is no other way of saying it, Manhattan is schizophrenic! It not only has two distinct spaces, but also two distinct personalities, one likeable and the other not so much. When you walk in to the bar/café area, you are surrounded by ugliness, and the space certainly doesn’t reflect the high class and expensive image Manhattan tries to project. The night my group went, the head barman/manager was doing a spring cleaning of the storage area next to the bar, and nothing was going to stop him, not even the presence of customers. So nice to see that he doesn’t let customers get in the way of his business 
The dining room, the more likeable of the two personalities, is another world. Chairs are plush and the space (although a tad tired) is quite classy. Okay, they have overdone the New Yorky-ness of it all. In fact, it looks like it was designed by someone who loves New York but has probably never been there.
Mental disorders aside, let’s get down to the food. Once you have managed to negotiate the slowest computer tablet menus ever made, you get to see a comprehensive and reasonably creative menu. The computer tablets, however, are pretentious and unnecessary : there is nothing wrong with a paper menu!
Two of our party chose the black pudding and caramelized apple as an appetizer, and it was superb. The third in our party had the scallops, which brought a smile to his face and his tongue to his lips. We all chose steak as our main (after all it is a steak house). Steaks were cooked exactly to order, were tender and accompanied by a selection of excellent side dishes: each diner could choose two. Sauces were rich, although a little cold, and plentiful. Overall, the food was very good.
The waiters in the dining room were professional and friendly, but as we were the only table, they really had a lot of free time.
One of our group was a smoker so after the meal we went back to the “smoking permitted” bar, and that other less likeable personality raised its head again. We were offered a complimentary drink, but once it was served we were given the distinct impression that they wanted us to leave. The head barman/manager started feeding the fish which I think is body language for “Get the hell out of here, I want to go home!”
To be honest, I would definitely go back to Manhattan for the food, but next time I go , I think I will go to the comfortable Mata Hari bar for a drink pre- and post-dinner so I can avoid the less congenial of Manhattan’s two personalities.

1  Thank BMF60
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Have been here twice now and both times the food and service have been excellent. It is quite expensive compared to some of the other good restaurants in the area but is worth it for the excellent food. Will defintly be going back next time we are in the area

Reviewed 25 October 2012

had a terrific time in the Manhattans, the food was presented very well, the taste was in my opinion special against other steak houses, flavor excellent and working staff very kind and good serving

Reviewed 18 October 2012

Beautifully cooked and presented food but a bit pricey by Pattaya standards. Good for that 'special' meal.