“A highlight in Chiang Mai”

Patara Elephant Farm - Private Tours
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A highlight in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

What a amazing experience, looking after your own elephant for a day. From health checks, feeding, washing and riding it... fantastic.
Thanks to Wut our main guide for the day, and to my trainer Chi, Bunyens trainer, for a unforgettable day.

Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

• Turkish first
Perth, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The best day of my life”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Now I am a huge animal lover, and did a stack of research before agreeing to come - the last thing I wanted was to see elephants treated cruelly, or solely for humans' entertainment.
This day was remarkable. As promised, we got matched to our own elepahnts for the day. We were supported and given a few key command words to communicate and connect with our elephant. We fed, bathed, groomed, trekked and swam with these amazing creatures for six hours. My friend, who came along (and is not an avid animal lover) agreed it was truly one of the best day sof her life also.
The conservation processes and respect in place for these creatures is evident at Patara. The photos at the end are second to none - amazing quality and memories. I highly recommend.

Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Incredible and Unforgettable Experience”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My sister and I booked a trip to Chiang Mai pretty much just for the elephant experience (although the rest of the city is amazing too!). We had high expectations after reading all the reviews from people saying this was the highlight of their trips in Asia, and Patara most definitely did not disappoint! It was an amazing experience that we will never forget; we couldn’t stop smiling all day long, and every time we think about it now that it’s over.

We love Patara’s philosophy on elephants: caring for them, trying to restore the elephant population to give back to Thailand (they’ve had over 15 babies born in the last 11 years and another 5 are on the way), and educating visitors about these truly amazing animals. There are a ton of different elephant places in Chiang Mai and we had a difficult time deciding among them at the beginning, but we are now 100% confident that we made the right choice with Patara; all the elephants there are healthy and happy, and you walk away with so much knowledge and a greater respect for elephants, along with memories that will last a lifetime. If you’re reading this then you already know that Patara is not a place to watch elephants do tricks, and they emphasize that they’re not there to just give tourists an elephant ride or make them pose for pictures, they really want it to be a learning experience.

My sister and I were both lucky to be assigned to elephants that each had a one-year old baby that tagged along, and they were absolutely adorable! We each felt that we bonded with our elephants over the course of the day, and it was so sad to leave them at the end. We would highly recommend this experience for anyone traveling to Chiang Mai. Just a few tips for those who plan on going:

- Bring sunscreen and bug spray, as well as a change of clothes – my clothes got soaked so I was very happy to have clean clothes to change into afterwards!
- They will take beautiful professional photos for you (which you receive on a DVD at the end of the day), but bring your own camera along too, you can keep it with you through the day, and my wonderful trainer took a ton of photos of me with my camera
- Bring sunglasses even if it’s not sunny – they help protect your eyes when you’re brushing all the dirt and dust off your elephant!
- Don’t worry about bringing water and food – they give you a ton of water through the day, and a big lunch spread that was delicious (also don’t worry if you’re vegetarian – my sister is and she had a ton of food to choose from)
- Don’t plan any strenuous activities for the next day – your legs will likely be pretty sore!

Thanks Patara!!!!

1 Thank anon4144
Orlando, FL
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“An amazing day”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We loved our experience at Patara Elephant Farm. Everyone gets their own elephant to spend the day with. We started off the day doing the morning health inspection. Then we rode our elephants to a small river where we had a fabulous Thai lunch and swam with the elephants in the river. It was an amazing experience.

Visited February 2012
Bulgaria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Memories you will carry for your life!”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I can not praise enough the experience here. I am sure most of the negative reviews below have mixed this place with one of the numerous copies around Chiang Mai. Recommended!