“Local, Delicious, Friendly Thai Cooking Class”

A lot of Thai : Home cooking class
Ranked #6 of 69 Food & Drink in Chiang Mai
More attraction details
Owner description: A family run cooking class established in 2001. We began with a small class size. Even though our business has seen tremendous growth, we have decided that this size maintains the personalization and individual attention that each student deserves. Yui (Siripen Sriyabhaya), Thailand's international TV chef still teaches every dish in every class to guarantee the highest quality of instruction. Her expertise attracts a variety of students such as, TV chefs, executive chefs, culinary school teachers, international Thai cooking instructors, food columnists, cookbook authors, tourists, and food lovers.Yui's unique blend of art and science truly make cooking exciting, fun, and easy to follow. When students cook these delicious dishes in class, they are equipped with the skills and knowledge to be able to recreate these dishes at home.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Boulder, Colorado
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Local, Delicious, Friendly Thai Cooking Class”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

From the moment I was picked up from my Chiang Mai hotel at 9:30am until I was dropped off again at 5:30pm I learned how to cook 6 Thai dishes, met travelers from around the world, visited a local food market, dined in a private home and received expert local restaurant recommendations.

As a solo traveler to Chiang Mai I was interested in joining a small group activity rather than a large tour. Yui's Thai home cooking class is limited to 8 participants and is truly hands-on. There is no large mirror above her for demonstration, rather the students gather around to watch her teach up close. Each student has their own "station" which consists of a Wok, cutting board, knife, utensils, dishes and necessary ingredients. The space is clean and comfortable and the atmosphere laid-back and friendly.

The class started right off learning to prepare Pad Thai, continuing on with Chicken & Green Curry, Spring Rolls, Stir Fried Chicken with Cashews, Hot & Sour Prawn Soup, and Mango Sticky Rice. It was a good thing we had been advised just to eat a "light breakfast" beforehand! Midway through the day Yui took us on a tour of a local market where we could see the ingredients we had been using as well as many other exotic foods.

Take this class! All the rave reviews on TripAdvisor are correct. I would take it again and I recommend it to anyone interested in cooking or eating Thai food.

Visited February 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A lot of cooking & a fantastic teacher”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

There are so many reasons this class is so good - the recipes, the small class sizes, the excellent organisation, but the main reason is because it is run by Yui. Yui is passionate about food and life, a great teacher and full of information (not just about cooking). She runs the business with her husband and takes every class herself meaning that the classes are very personal and there is much care and thought given to every detail.

My partner and I took part in a full day course in December. We are both foodies and loved that this class introduced us to new dishes as well as learning how to cook some of our favourites. The market visit added to the fun of the day – going to a market with a chef meant we could ask question about everything there!

We had so much fun, cooked 6 different dishes and left vowing not to eat again for days!

I cannot recommend this cooking class enough – thank Yui for such an amazing day.

Visited December 2011
Australia
723 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,344 helpful votes
“Relaxed, informative, fun and great food”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The day started off fun by being picked up by Yui and Kwan in an old VW Combi Van/Minbus at our hotel. We were then taken back to Yui's home where our little cooking stations were set up waiting for us. There was a maximum of eight people in the class which allows Yui to go around and give everyone individual attention throughout the day. We cooked Pad Thai, Green Curry, Tom Yum Soup, Chicken and Cashew Stir Fry and Sticky Rice and Mango for dessert. As other reviewers have mentioned, do not make dinner plans after this course. My friend and I were so full from eating everything that we cooked all day that we only ended up having coffee and cake at about 9pm later that night! Yui will drop you back at your hotel. She has a great personality and speaks exceptionally good English. This was one of the best things we did in Chiang Mai. Do not miss it. Also, if you do the full day course and Yui takes you on the local market tour, make sure you pick up a Lime Smoothie. It is made with fresh limes and purified crushed ice. It is like a gourmet slushie and so refreshing. She will tell you where to find it at the market.

Bern, Switzerland
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“A lot of Thai was the best activity during our 3 weeks in Thailand”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

After reading the positive reviews on TripAdvisor of the "A lot of Thai" cooking-school my girlfriend and I booked two days (thursday and friday) in Yui's cooking class and it was the best activity during our 3 weeks of vacation in Thailand (and we did a lot of things: Flight of the Gibbon, Woody Elephant Training and visits to the Khao Sok National Park, Little Amazon in Takua Pa, the Koh Tachai Island etc.). I did cook Thai food before but my red curries never were as red, my Pad Thai never as juicy as served in good Thai Restaurants. Yui's advice was exactly what i was looking for and I learned a lot in those two days. Yui, Kwan and their team do a great job (absolutely perfect organization). They share the passion for food and cooking and will show you how to do it the right way, so you can enjoy cooking Thai food for your relatives and pals at home (after the cooking class we went to buy 10 cooking knives at the Warort Day Market like the ones we used in cooking class for our families and friends so they'll have the right tools for Thai cooking).
The Friday session was especially good as you get to make your own red curry paste in a mortar and it looked and tasted great.
It was huge fun. Go there yourself.
A.

Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“The reviews are accurate!”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Without repeating the praise of all the other reviewers I will add that Yui's cooking class takes Thai cooking to another level. She is a proponent of organic farming and healthy eating and uses only whole grain rice and organically raised meats in her kitchen... This was a sweet surprise for us. No review can accurately capture her bubbly personality and infectious love of cooking! She is funny and very entertaining. It was an excellent day spent and I highly recommend it.