All reviews g adventures adventure tour night market tuk tuk nice hotel swimming pool old city wi fi walking street minute walk shower head stayed here for nights breakfast included booked this hotel laundry service massage backpackers
Reviewed 17 October 2017

We stayed for two nights during a tour of Thailand. The location was good. We did our laundry right across the street which was really nice because we had just finished a long jungle trek and needed it! The room was decent and we were comfortable in it in spite of an air conditioner that rattled and poured water onto the floor for the duration of our stay. A couple of towels took care of that.

Unfortunately, the Chiang Mai Gate is a stand-out for us as the low end of the hotel-style accommodations that we experienced on our tour. The included breakfast was not comparable to the other hotels we used in that the food nearly out by the time we got to breakfast. Both mornings, there was zero juice or water in the self-serve containers and the majority of hot pans were empty, even within an hour & 1/2 of start time. The staff made no attempt, either day, to refresh the breakfast food/juice. There was an overwhelming aroma of pine-sol in the dining area both mornings which made the atmosphere unappealing. The good was an egg stand where one could get an omelet or other egg dish, made to order. We did elect to buy our own breakfast elsewhere on the 2nd morning. The staff, while pleasant, did not seem to have a cohesive approach to operating the front desk/lobby area. For example, both mornings there was nobody available to take our breakfast ticket, which was required to gain entrance into the dining area. Lobby desk staff who were very pleasant, seemed like they were more in training mode rather than operations mode which caused some delay for us and other travelers. Overall we would recommend this hotel to short-term, backpackers or other similar type travelers who need an affordable place to stay for a couple of nights, but we would not recommend for folks who, like us, want to relax and enjoy the accommodations.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2017

This hotel was included on the tour package and I have to say it was one of the best hotels we stayed in. Great value for money, the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, and the breakfast was one of the best breakfast selections I had in my entire 2 week stay in Thailand. The hotel was only booked for 2 nights when I stayed with GAdventure, but I ended up booking an extra night myself. The staff were very helpful with arranging this for me last minute. It is not a five star hotel, but excellent value for money and I would recommend to people looking for a budget holiday in Thailand that aren't too fussed with the odd details. The price is great.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Good location. Staff friendly (see end of review). Good pool. Rooms average but get the job done.

Things to improve:
Wifi is terrible. Easy to sign on and has good signal strength but data transmission is poor and spotty. I was not able to submit this review at the hotel due to bad wifi. Good wifi is a minimum for any hotel these days and CMGate needs to up their game in this area.
Security. Door to rooms are old and use a metal residential key to open. The handles and locking mechanism were difficult to work. There is no automatic locking of the door like in hotels with a magnetic card key.
Electricity. Electricity is controlled by the key chain (slotted in to a receptacle once you enter the room) as is normal. However there was only one plug to charge devices and it was controlled by the card key. That means no charging if you leave the room.
Extra charges. Staff wanted to charge me for a bit of dirt on the bath mat that came off my flip flop (The bathrooms are small so it is difficult to avoid the bath mat. Note also that the bath mat was a light towel like bath mat). I refused as cleaning a bath mat should be part of normal room cleaning and the small amount of dirt would easily come out. The hotel then charged my tour leader for the cleaning. This ending of our time at the hotel left a sour taste in our mouths and it is hard to recommend the hotel as a result.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Footprints732430
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

The hotel is very good ,the breakfast was great choices,we are vegetarian & were very happy with the selection of food, grilled vegetables & rice and toast, fruit juice, also the coffee is good,. I used the pool every morning & was very happy with it, also the hotel is quiet , location is very good as well, close to chaingmai gate, this is the first time we have stayed & will definitely stay here again, thank you chaingmai gate hotel. Ray

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank raymondm555
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel is clean. Rooms are big. Bed is little too hard for my liking and bathroom is a little dated. Located off side street but close to centre of town, can walk to most of the sights. Very friendly staff. Breakfast is good as well.

Date of stay: August 2017