“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #11 of 380 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Australia
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This review has been on my mind since we returned from Thailand at the beginning of May.
I am torn between the exceptional quality of the hotel, rooms, spa, food and an aloofness and attitude of some staff, overcharging, and the club amenities that were unavailable to us due to travelling with children.
So, we stayed in a club suite and the architecture and room layout was stunning. Loved it. Heaps of room, extra beds for the children, quality fittings. Great.
The hotel itself is also beautiful and makes you feel relaxed wandering around.
The spa treatments were amazing, DH and I had three each, and they had a great special running: buy one get one free. Well worth the cost even compared to how much you pay outside the hotel.
The breakfast was divine and we loved the main restaurant so much we only ate in the club room once. Sitting next to the waterfalls was peaceful.
Room Service was also quick and yummy each time we ordered.

The negatives were an overcharge on checkout and the attitude that went along with this from the staff member in the club lounge. We eventually sorted the issue out but it tarnished the stay as I had to "prove" my version of events from a reservation email from our original booking 6 months prior. Disappointing. It wasn't a small amount of cash I was disputing either.
Some staff, all of those in the main hotel and restaurant, were amazing and friendly and it felt like you were in Thailand; it's why we visit there so often. The people.
Then in the club lounge there was almost a snooty aloofness that emanated. We have stayed in club lounges many times and even though it is an area that can exude class and money it has always been friendly and welcoming.
Finally, the club lounge canapes and drinks only allow children above the age of 13 during the hours. I asked if we could visit and take afew mezes back to the suite for our children and this request was refused.
Our children are well-travelled and used to staying in lovely hotels. They are not allowed to run, be noisy etc in places where adults congregate and we often take ipods for them to play quietly in situations like this.
I respect that there is an adult time at the club lounge, but would have been happy to have had this information passed on to me when we booked this category of accommodation. It was not.
The pool is lovely and honestly I would stay here again.
Just afew disppointments that tarnished our stay.
We stayed for 6 nights in April.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank carls888
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed 15 June 2012

It has actually been 2 years since staying here. Not sure why I had never reviewed, but this morning I woke up thinking of the hotel and realized I needed to sing it's rightful praise. I stayed for 5 nights, and it was by far the best hotel while visiting in Thailand. We stayed in a club suite which was riverside. The room was fantastic, offered privacy and a great view on the porch outside, and the resort itself has an amazing zen feel throughout. Beyond the beauty of the hotel, what stood out most was the service. Having the personalized service from booking a club suite was definitely worth the extra cost. Breakfasts were amazing, but beyond that they were helpful and willing to take care of everything and anything. Unfortunately while there, on my birthday nonetheless, I woke up in the middle of the night with a swollen eye (no fault of hotel...it was pinkeye). In going to breakfast, they showed great concern and took me to a local clininc. Being unfamiliar with Thailand, and only my 3rd day in the country, they stayed with me the whole time, guiding me to the right doctor, etc. In a situation where I was initially nervous due to being in a foreign country and needing medical attention, I left feeling like they made the situation as seamless as possible. I look forward to returning one day and will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank spike5882
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The Chedi is one of the finest hotels we have ever stayed in. We stayed 6 nights in a Club suite. We were lucky to stay in one of the riverview rooms. The room is lovely, open, beautifully furnished, with a day bed in the room, and a day bed on the balcony. So many beds! We even had our own expresso machine, nothing spared.

The Servcie in the Chedi club was exceptional, afternoon cocktails and canopies a delight, and breakfast delicious. The pool is very large, and the gym well equipped. The Chedi is very close to the night market and about a 15 minute walk to the Thapaea gate of the old town, although the distinction between the old and new town is blurred. Most places are a taxi or tuk tuk ride away. Chiangmai is quite big so anywhere you stay will requiresome use of local transport. The local red taxis (converted pick up truck) were only 20TB per person to go almost anywhere in town.

The Chedi is not the cheapest place but if you can afford the extra cost, you will not regret it. We will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river are great but there are not many
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fitzroytraveller
Ahmedabad
Reviewed 13 June 2012

One of the best designed hotel I have seen till date. Very good property. River facing restuarant and superbly designed rooms. There was a problem with mosquitoes. For vegetarians there was pizza, pasta, Indian food and a bit of thai dishes. Very good location, we could walk to night market and near by restaurants. They gave an excellent baby cot.

Room Tip: take near the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mgchoksi
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in a standard room which was gorgeous! The service was impeccable throughout. It is very expensive for thailand but you get what you pay for! The breakfast buffet was amazing, the pool was lovely.
My only reservation was that the restaurant didn't offer a vast range of options and it was the same menu every night. The cocktails were fantastic though!

• Stayed June 2012