“Great venue let down by service”
Review of Fern Forest Cafe

Fern Forest Cafe
Ranked #10 of 129 Dessert in Chiang Mai
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 8 January 2019 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place. The main area of the cafe is set up in an open-air courtyard full of greenery - visually, it's very pleasant. We were seated right away and our order taken promptly. After the first main dish arrived with one of the drinks still not served, it became apparent that it had been overlooked. The level of English amongst the floor staff wasn't great, so even after three tries, we were unable to communicate the issue. The second main arrived ten minutes after the first, around the same time we ended up approaching the main bar to sort out the missing drink.

For the price, I had greater expectations for service and quality of food (food wasn't terrible, but certainly didn't justify the price). The staff were never rude and I do believe we're trying their best, but management probably needs to invest some more time in training.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed 6 January 2019

This cafe was about 700m from our hotel and we went there a couple of times..... we loved it... wished we had more time to go there more. it is very relaxing. the atmosphere and decore is beautiful... recommend stop in even if just for a coffee or coke. it is a cafe.. not a restaurant... so dont expect an extensive menu. there were four of us and we all had different meals and were very happy. highly recommend a desert... the cheesecake, peanut butter toast and ice creams are just absolutely divine. a great place to step away from the streets and temples for a chill

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 3 January 2019 via mobile

Been sitting here now longer than all the tables around us, ordered food and drinks 25 min ago and only one of two drinks has arrived (they were the same)...second drink arrived eventually. The waiter that took our order disappeared, so another server checked to see if our order was even placed...husbands food arrived a full 5 minutes ahead of mine. My Tom Yum Kung and rice was excellent, hubby’s toasted ham and cheese was ok (no acid on the salad, just oil).

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed 3 January 2019 via mobile

There is nothing that will ruin a lovely dining experience like horrible kitchen coordination... yes, the atmosphere is lovely, the food and drinks are good, the staff is hard working and friendly. But waiting 40 minutes for a mocha only being delivered after I already finished my breakfast kinda sucks. Being told “wait a moment, we’re busy” over and over again is frustrating. And then finally my friends meal is delivered after I am done and ready to go. Busy or not, kitchen, get your act together! Management, hire more people to make drinks! Come up with a process to serve everyone at the table at relatively the same time, not 20 minutes apart. Congrats on your success, but this is why a lot of us locals / expats don’t return. Please improve your process! Wish I could make this one of my regular restaurants.

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank DustinL374
Reviewed 2 January 2019 via mobile

I had returned here on this trip, as I had previously liked the garden and the food. After paying and checking the receipt, it became evident that I had been charged in GBP rather than THB. This meant that the exchange rate was poor and so the price was inflated. It stated on the credit card receipt that I should have had the option to pay in local currency, so preaumbly the staff had made this choice for me!!

Date of visit: December 2018