Panda House Chiangmai
Le Meridien Chiang Mai(Chiang Mai)
US$ 155
US$ 307
US$ 463
US$ 416
Agoda.com
All reviewscheap roombooked a double roomcomfy bedhot showertrain stationstayed here for nightsevery morningold townbangkokreceptionistdeskguesthouseelephants
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Panda house Chiangmai

We stayed at panda house for three nights while in Chiangmai. We were not impressed with this run down, old, outdated hostel. The lady at the front desk gave us lots of booklets on the different tours but was not available to ask any of our questions regarding the tours. She sat behind a glass wall and let her 10 year old nephew answer our questions with his poor broken English. The location is not as centrally located as other hostels. The front lobby is filled with screaming children from 4pm till 11pm. When we wanted to leave our key at the front desk they put it in a basket on the counter. We were very worried to just leave it there so instead decided to take it with us. At the end of the hallway on each floor you have smoking areas. On a good note our washed laundry came back clean and smelling fresh.
We are backpackers traveling the world for a year so we don't have too high of standards. It just would have been nice to have friendlier staff, quieter common areas and less mold in the rooms.

When you are in Chiang mai and don't have a hostel booked just take a walk around the downtown area and you will find loads. Don't settle for this hole in the wall.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Totally souless, a house I wouldn't keep a panda in. Dingy room with dirty bathroom. And a manky blanket.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 9 January 2011

So my review might be alot better if we hadnt got ripped off by the travel agent on khao san who charged us 950 baht /night (double aircon) for this hotel and that there isnt much to do in the immediate area of the hotel, had to walk/taxi back and forth to our hotel to drop off bags from shopping was annoying. That being said its only a 40-60 baht tuk tuk ride to the markets/bazzar area or a 20 min walk. Just from walking around during my stay in Chiang Mai I found several other, nice looking guesthouses for half the price right beside all the action. I would not stay here again because of the location.

The hotel picked us up from the bus station with no issues, which was nice. The rooms are very big just like other posters have said. The rooms itself are clean and nice. The bathroom is small, old and could use some upgrade. The hot water works tho :) The lady at the front is very helpful and welcoming, she helped us arrange tours. The outside patio is very nice. The inside lobby of the hotel seems like their family hangs out there a lot although this is not unusual in Thailand so this isnt really a complaint but an observation....there is an elderly white male who I think is the husband of one of the thai ladies who works at the hotel who is always just hanging around the computers/tv/table area in his pj's even midday. It was a little off-putting to one of my female friends.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I booked a double room for 5 nights for 450 baht from my hotel in Bangkok. From the moment I arrived at Chiang Mai station (after a looong and delayed train journey) the service was excellent. I was collected from the station and driven for free to the hotel. I was pleasantly surprised by the room, it was the biggest and cleanest room I had stayed in for this price anywhere in Thailand. The TV was large too. The staff, in particular the lady 'Pek', were so friendly. One day I came down and ordered dinner too late so she went out on a moped and bought me some lovely Pad Thai, free of charge!! I also arranged a trek through the hotel staff, which was great fun and very cheap too. It is located just outside of the Old City and is about 10 mins walk to the night bizarre and riverside restaurants. They also have a cute dog named 'stupid'! (in Thai!)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We stayed here for 8 nights, started off on a great note being collected from the airport, short drive to the location,it was about 10mins walking distance to the main areas from here, the manager was extremely friendly he sat with us talking all about thailand and all the sites around.They have a good variety of tours that go from there,all that we booked were punctual and exactly what was meant to be on the agenda.Rooms are large and airy, cleaned religiously every day.You dont have to rent towels or pay for toilet roll which is the way in alot of places!TV was good also.
Downside, there was only 2 computers for the net and one of the owners/employees children was always on one of them.The menu is not huge but what we got was always good. And the only other thing is that the main area for eating, seating could do with being a bit more comfortable and hostel like-more homely-- maybe a couch. Couple from Ireland

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)