“Disappointed, no real Korean flavor here.”

Mannaja Korean Fried Chicken
Ranked #1,994 of 2,589 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 21 December 2017

I have been planing to try this place for a while now, finally made it. First I will say if you are driving you will miss it for sure, in the middle of a small shop house mall (with parking) and very poorly marked very small white writing on glass window that almost impossible to see I am sure they have missed many customers who could not find it but again it seems they cater to the CMU student crowd who are all on foot and need no car to get there. Small inside with about 20 seat at least they keep the place cool, menu in English with photos not a big selection but that's good in my opinion makes it easy to select.

Now let's get to the real thing the food, don't believe anyone here is Korean. I give it a 2 out of 5. The 6 pieces boneless chicken strips was of good size a bit dry in my opinion a bit over cooked I believe the flavor was nothing special actually I have had much better, the garlic soy sauce well tasted like any other sweet Asian sauce I have had I did ask to try there spicy sauce and I was warned it's super spicy again tastes like any other Thai spicy sauce I have had. I asked for the Korean steam rice I was served plain Thai sticky rice, I did notice after I made my order someone ran out and in a few minutes came back with some cooked rice in a bag not good on a Sunday at 1:30pm to run out of rice.

Over all I can only give the whole experience a 1.5 out of 5 as it's nothing special here, will I return doubt it.

On a special note: I did a check in on there face book page and left a review, I received a quick response from the restaurant and was told the following yes the chef is Korean the fry chicken strips have to be fried well enough so the outside is crispy and in regards to the sauce as they are catering to a mostly Thai crowd the sauce is more towards Thai flavor. Also let it be known that my review was not approved by them so it does not show up there page/wall, this is local Thai not to loose face so you don't give a glowing review it will not be posted, shame full in my opinion.

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

and that's about it!

Having seen the rave reviews on both TripAdvisor and Facebook, we drove to Mannaja Korean especially to have lunch. Thank goodness it was a suburb away from me. It was not worth the trip!

The ambience was typical Korean. The plasma on the wall played Kpop. The wall was plastered with 3M sticky notes. Totally Myeongdong! But that's where all resemblance ends.

First, was the kimchi jigae. At THB 169 plus THB 15 for rice, I expect side dishes. No ... none at all. Totally disappointed. Came the kimchi jigae and I eyed for my succulent and fatty pork belly. What greeted me was four tiny pieces of pork belly. My husband, seeing my crestfallen face, offered me his seafood ramyeon. Which I declined.

My husband's seafood ramyeon looked promising. Perched on top of the noodles were several clams. He started digging into the noodles but alas, he stopped. It turned out that the ramyeon was undercooked. He decided to place the noodles back into the soup to "cook" further whilst he tasted the seafood. 8 small clans were counted. No prawns. And 4 pieces of squid. And to say the squid are tiny you would have thought I exaggerated. But no, check the photo out to see for yourself. At THB 129, this screamed BAD DEAL!

Taste wise, both items were no flavoursome. The kimchi jigae is hot and spicy. That's about it ... while it shouldn't! A good kimchi jigae should have a balance of spicy, sour and salty. It certainly was one dimensional in taste here at Mannaja Korean. The seafood ramyeon was standard fare although I think my own Nongshim Jampong made at home taste heaps better at a fraction of the THB 129.

For the price we paid today, we could have gotten a much better meal at Tudari Casual Korean at Maya Mall.

What a letdown. Even the service could not save this place.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

Super tasty Korean fried chicken--either straight up and crispy or marinated and spicy. Great with Thai beer. K pop videos play on flat screens give it a Korean vibe, and service is genuinely friendly. Stop by the Catmosphere cafe next door before or after and it's a full evening!

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

Amazing Korean fried chicken in Chiang Mai! Would definitely recommend it. It's right beside the Catmosphere the Cat cafe, so you can pet some cats then get some delicious fried chicken and a lychee soda!