“All roads lead to Le Meridien Chiang Mai!”

Le Meridien Chiang Mai
Ranked #21 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Ogden, Utah
“All roads lead to Le Meridien Chiang Mai!”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Chiang Mai is a gentle haven for relaxtion, meditation and inspiration. The city is a center for Buddhist worship and has a large number of varied temples. Right in the heart of all this is the Le Meridien Chiang Mai. It provides the perfect jumping off point for exploration this beautiful city.

Located at the heart of Chiang Mai's famous night market, you can walk from the hotel and be immersed in the thriving activity. The abundant bars, shopping and restaurants are all a stone's throw from the entrance of this lovely hotel.

The food in the hotel is outstanding. Their Italian restaurant rivaled some of the nicest I have dined at in Thailand and even abroad. The club level food from the hotel kitchen was also delicious. I ordered Khao Soi our first day and I am still haunted by its miraculous flavor and aroma.

The towering height of the hotel also provides the best views of the valley you can imagine. Every evening we watched as the fading daylight glimmered off the gold facade of Doi Suthep. The surrounding mountains are certainly magical and the views from the higher floors make them easy to enjoy.

The hotel staff were all very kind and accommodating. I found them to be friendly and provide excellent service. In fact, had our room been dealt with properly, I would have no hesitation giving this hotel five stars. The location, food and service ere all top quality and what one has come to expect from the Le Meridien brand.

While our visit to the hotel did have its hits, we did have a few misses. Our room did have a subtle but present scent of cigarette smoke. We asked to be moved but the management insisted that they would clean the room and the scent would be gone. The cleaning did significantly reduce the odor but it was still in the hallway and even after a few days, it lightly lingered. However, by this time, we were already entrenched and unwilling to move.

The morning buffet closed a little earlier than I liked. 10AM seemed a bit unreasonable for a city famous for its nocturnal activities. My wife and kids like to sleep in on vacation and it forced them out of bed a earlier than they liked. However, the buffet was typical and but very well done.

In all, I think this is a beautiful hotel that is classy and perfectly located. It is hard to go wrong with such a beautiful spot. I thought about giving it four stars but I asked myself if I would return and the answer was without hesitation, "Certainly!"

Room Tip: Based upon my experience and the other comments of travelers, it might make sense to inspect your ro...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Paddlenround
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
boston
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night in late April, and will definitely stay here again if we return... we only wish we had more time in Chiang Mai. Room was nice and clean and we checked out the spa and pool area which looked very inviting.

If you'd like to be in the middle of everything, this is an excellent hotel for that. There is a great night market as soon as you step out the door of the hotel. We stayed at Le Meridien Bangkok which is located across the street from Pat Pong night market and we much prefer this hotel and this night market. The night market seemed to be cleaner and less congested than its Bangkok counterpart and without solicitors constantly bombarding you to go into clubs. There was also a fairly good free cabaret show offered that you only had to buy a couple of drinks to attend.

We had their Sunday brunch which was excellent for the cost. Buffet breakfast cost was about 630 baht and the brunch cost was about 690 baht so we opted to wait for brunch. We recently ate at a dinner buffet in Macau and must say that Le Meridian's Sunday brunch was a better value especially for the quality of food you received, including cold lobster and shrimp, a sushi bar, waffle bar, gelato bar, Mexican station, dim sum area, rissota station, cocktails made to order, including a lot of other items and an excellent dessert offering.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

The public areas of this hotel are amazing, this is the complete opposite of the rooms though. we initially had a club room, however it was in such a poor state with crumbling scratched up cheap chipboard furniture and plenty of dust.

when we complained the manager was called and we were left waiting over 30 min for him to speak with us. once he turned up though he was very nice and agreed with us.

we were moved to a suite room which while not in great condition, it was much better.

the staff are all amazing, a real asset to the hotel. and breakfast in the club was very tasty.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank swc1985
Holbrook, New York
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This was my second trip to Chiang Mai, having stayed just down the road at Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel. Although I loved that hotel, this hotel was in even better. Lobby is decorated in a very modern and artistic style. Staff at check-in are very nice and helpful. There is a very large restuarant just off the lobby. Wifi is also free in the lobby and a password is required. A spa is available, although i did not use it, other people in the group used it as it is reputed to be the finest spa in the city.

My room was not as spacious as my previous Le Meriden stay in Chiang Rai, but it was just as fantastic. Room had all the essential amenities including separate tub and shower. The hotel refreshing and had a nice view of the city and the mountains off in the distance. There is also a very convenient laundry just outside the hotel. They washed and ironed 2 loads of laundry for only $250 Baht and it was ready the next night! This hotel is located smack in the middle of the night market, just walk outside the door and you are there. there is a nice restaurant directly across the street. I got a very nice meal at a fantstic price. There are huge shopping galleries just around the corner to the left and to theleft of the hotel. And as usual there is no shortage of massage parlors. I used "Relax and Enjoy" just a few doors down and was impressed by the friendly staff and the great price.

I did not eat any meals in the restuarnant other than breakfast. Breakfast was really nice with a good selection of western food, Japanese and Thai food. Also had an omelet and pancake station. It was hoever a little difficult to get coffee refills. I had to to get up a couple of times in order to get the refills. But all things considered, this is a phenominla hotel. It is such a top-notch hotel that the Thai Prime Minister also stayed there during my stay. I hope to stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank TravelCrazyMan
Phnom Penh
Reviewed 25 April 2012

The hotel is very comfortable as expected in this price range and with the Meridien brand. Excelent bed/mattress, good facilities, cleann and good service. BUT: when checking out this morning at 5am, I asked about the hotel shuttle to the airport and I was told it is not free and they would charge 250 baht (more than twice what I was charged by taxi from the airport at 10pm). They could also call a taxi for 250 baht. I thought this is just outrageous and decided to walk. At the first corner took a tuktuk and was happy not to negiotiate ( and not in a good position anyway) the asked 150 baht. Tuktuks are known for their overcharging and often end up more expensive than taxis. For a hotel and brand like le Meridien, I expect better service and they should not have to make another 100-150 baht extra profit by overcharging their guests, who already spend a lot of money on the hotel anyway, for a 5 minute trip to the airport (only 5 km distance)! Very disappointing attitude of le Meridien.

• Stayed April 2012