“located in a shabby lane but cheap yet neat!”
Review of Soi 1 Guesthouse

Soi 1 Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangkok
Soi 1 Guesthouse
Ranked #690 of 1,185 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Taiwan
“located in a shabby lane but cheap yet neat!”
Reviewed 26 January 2011

great location, only 3 min walk from the nearest ASOK skytrain station. The place is situated in a bit shabby lane but the interior is neat and the price is not bad! I was there alone and enjoyed my last night in BKK. The first staff who helped me to check in was a bit slow but the manager (whom I later encountered) is much more efficient and helpful.
this is a better choice for backpackers or solo travelers.
The breakfast is far from grand but acceptable, for me, anyway.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Soi1David, Owner at Soi 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Thanks for mentioning our Great location! and the accessibility to public transport.
Yes, some of the staff may not know as much as I about Bangkok and S.E. Asia in general, But they are learning. I myself, as I live on the property , am often around and if needed for info will happily answer your questions.( been awhile since I've had a new question)
We are glad that we made your last night in Bangkok "Enjoyable".
Thank-you for your review.
Soi1david
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 December 2010

As the title says, it's the only place I'd stay at in Bangkok, for a number of reasons.

1) Location - The location of this place is absolutely phenomenal. It's right off the Phloen Chit station of the BTS SkyTrain. It costs about 140 Baht to take the train to the guesthouse from Suvarnabhumi International Airport - a 15 min, 100 Baht express train trip to Makkasan Road, then a 20 Baht one station hop to Sukhumvit station on the MRT, then a two station 20 Baht trip to Phloen Chit on the BTS, then a 5 minute walk to the guesthouse from the station. Also a 5 minute walk from the water boat service on the canal, meaning you can see pretty much everything Bangkok has to offer using public transport and you won't get ripped off by tuk-tuks and taxi drivers, as you would if you stayed at Kho San road or someplace like that. To repeat, location, location, location!

2) Cleanliness - The rooms are spotless. This is the first time I've stayed at a shared-room hostel and I had my reservations, but they were totally unfounded. The rooms are spotless, the beds are soft (they are bunk beds and some of the upper beds creak when someone's on them, but otherwise they're great), and you get thick and clean blankets, which are a must because all the rooms are air-conditioned and get very nippy and cozy at night! Shared bathrooms and showers, but they're spotless and clean as well. Good hot water for showers, which for me is a must.

3) Last but not least, service - To put it simply, Dave is the man! He is super helpful and will do everything within his power to make sure you enjoy your stay both in his guesthouse as well as in Bangkok. On our first night, we arrived around 6 p.m. and had a quick shower and rest. He told us to head down to the river to see a festival going on. We did and it was a wonderful experience. We got to catch an open-air concert, eat some great street-food, and watch fireworks from a bridge over the Chao Phraya river. That first night was a great introduction to Bangkok and an indication that I was going to like this city very much!

The next evening, Dave led a group of us through a pub crawl! I can't imagine any other place where you also get a free tour guide in the proprietor of the hotel. He took care to ensure that all of us stayed with the group for safety and made sure that he kept track of people that left the group and checked-up on them later-on if needed.

We had booked a 7 a.m. bus trip to Siem Reap, Cambodia and I wanted another day in Bangkok. We informed Dave at 2 a.m. that we wanted to post-pone our trip and he told us that he would do his best to make it happen, but if he couldn't, he would personally wake us up at 6:30 a.m. And he actually did make it happen!

The man is a treasure-trove of information, as are his walls at the reception which contain info on pretty much everything in Bangkok.

You get all of this for 400 Baht a night, which is a steal in Bangkok. So like I said in the title, this is the only place I'd stay at in the city! Oh, and you get free wi-fi both in the reception and in your room, and it's pretty fast as well ...

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank vthuppil
Soi1David, Owner at Soi 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful review of us!!!
There are so many things I can comment on, But I'll just say this..
When you stay at Soi1guesthouse, You become family. And I'll do anything and everything to make anyone of my family Safe, Happy and Informed... In that order.
I have a very big Family :) and it's growing all the time.
Come join in....
uk
Reviewed 29 August 2010

stayed here for two nights, free wifi, good location, staff helped with any questions and gave great help and advice for getting around to places. Good showers. Would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Soi1David, Owner at Soi 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Another Well respected review, with 22 reviews posted and 49 helpful votes, It carries a bit more weight that only comes from experience.
Thanks for mentioning our good location, free wifi, Good showers. helpful staff and our giving great help and advice with any questions for getting around to places.
It makes us feel good.
Cheers,
Bangkok,Thailand
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Best Hostel in Bangkok. 24 hr entry, safe, guest-friendly, Good to meet other travelers, Party experts

Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Perth
Reviewed 29 March 2010

You will not have experianced bangkok until you have stayed here.

Hands down the ONLY place to stay while in Bangkok.
David (american guy) runs this guesthiuse with his wife, Nai. UBER clean, you get TOWELS, bed linen, a BLANKET, all rooms have air con and the service is just amazing.

Location is fantastic, just a 200B taxie ride from the airport drops you at this guesthouse. And from there you are 200m from the train station which will get you most places, and 300m from the canal boats whcih will get you everywhere else.

David is a great host, full of knowledge and travel advice. He can help book things and recommend the sights and visits that many other places would not. HE DOES NOT GET COMMISSION FROM TRAVEL COMPANIES so you can be assured the advice is genuine.

The atmosphere is SOCIAL. the rooms are basic to encourage people to congregate in the living are and mix and socialise. If you are there on a friday or saturday night he will most likely organise a pub crawl through BAngkok.. a must experiance even if you only can handle an hr.

This place is fully recommended and SAFE. I would happily pay 4 times what he charges. There is no other place worth looking at to stay at. This is it. And if you dont believe, check out all its other great reviews and its facebook group "I stayed at Soi 1 guesthouse".

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elyece
We love you too !!
I liked this part..

"He can help book things and recommend the sights and visits that many other places would not. HE DOES NOT GET COMMISSION FROM TRAVEL COMPANIES so you can be assured the advice is genuine."
If we were like most other accommodation then we would only tell you about the things that we would get a commission on, which would limit your knowledge and enjoyment. We don't work like that and don't want to. You will know it's true as we only tell YOU how to arrange the bookings and prefer you do so yourself. Not only does it save you money ( no middleman) but it also empowers you when you realize what you CAN do it. We just tell you in detail how.
Oh and our pub crawls ... they are free. though I gotta tell ya Many of my guest say I should charge for them, that they would of gladly paid.( there are not many places left that have such and interesting pub/club scene than Bangkok and I know the best here- voice of experience!!)
Soi1david